Prophet REV2 with the Sequential logo?

Prophet REV2 with the Sequential logo?
« on: October 17, 2019, 05:53:24 AM »
Has anyone seen a Prophet REV2 with the SEQUENTIAL logo on the front panel and no "Dave Smith Instruments" signature on the right front panel either. I just had one delivered. I have never seen this before in any of the reviews, ads, articles, or videos on the Internet. Is this a new design???

Re: Prophet REV2 with the Sequential logo?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 07:58:35 AM »
The Sweetwater site features the most recent design iteration:

Before this version there were three others:

gerardplouf

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 09:06:44 AM »

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 12:59:04 PM »
The 3rd one down is best esthetically and layout design. It has less of a cheesy 70s vibe. Loved my 08 workhorse but I upgraded to the REV2 for the other features.

The bold large font, creates an illusion that the keyboard itself is smaller.

The new design looks haphazard, like they had nowhere else to slap the logo. They should swap back the old design IMHO.

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 02:03:57 PM »
The 3rd one also sounds the best.   ;)

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 11:04:35 PM »
The 3rd one also sounds the best.   ;)
Agreed it is aesthetically balanced. And luckily that is mine 😊😉

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 11:50:45 PM »
I will say that the Mistral typeface in the Dave Smith logo was never doing designs any favors.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2019, 06:35:10 AM »
LOL... We’re not talking sound here. We’re talking flow in design. Vintage classic vs clunky geek. The new design jumps out and YELLS at me. I’ll get used to it I guess.  ::)  I’m sure they will sell thousands of them.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2019, 06:46:20 AM »
Now that I think about it, I do not understand why they did not move the whole control surface just a tad closer to the wheels, and then used that quite substancial free space all to the right for a few more "under the hood" controls... but I guess that is where the PSU is taking up the space beneath...

Anyway... regrding the different namings... does it really matter? ... I think that instead of just changing the logos, they should probably have changed the internal wrongly hardwired L/R of the headphone vs. outs to be correct... wonder if any of the newer marked ones have revised board in them...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2019, 06:49:58 AM »
And if I have to comment on the new sequential logo... i find it would have been graphically more pleasing if it had been smaller, and placed in the same spot that the Dace Smith logo was... it fits the layout better when the logo is fluctuating with the bottom of the controls like with the DSI logo... the Sequential one looks "misplaced", and do not even reach out to the far right... well... that's my design opinion... IF they absolutely wanted it there, they could at least have made the Sequential logo's right side, end at the same distance that the "PROPHE REV2" logo in the up/left corner has to the wooden side panel, or at least fluctuate with the end of the controls.

but then again... does it really matter?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 06:51:46 AM by Razmo »

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2019, 03:53:32 PM »

Anyway... regrding the different namings... does it really matter? ... I think that instead of just changing the logos, they should probably have changed the internal wrongly hardwired L/R of the headphone vs. outs to be correct... wonder if any of the newer marked ones have revised board in them...
It matters in as much as UX matters. Some people swap their gear just because a new color becomes available; others say they don’t care about appearance but it does have an overall effect on their perception of the gear nonetheless.

Making a new silkscreen is probably a lot easier than hardware manufacturing changes.

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 01:01:01 AM »
You might be interested in my Rev2. The Sequential logo helps, but the VCOs really push the sound to the next level ;) https://i.redd.it/5dyvw0sptwk31.jpg

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 04:08:15 AM »

It matters in as much as UX matters. Some people swap their gear just because a new color becomes available; others say they don’t care about appearance but it does have an overall effect on their perception of the gear nonetheless.

Making a new silkscreen is probably a lot easier than hardware manufacturing changes.

Well, each to his own... Personally I dont care if it was pink or whatever, as long as the sound is the same... If anyone want to waste money swapping a DSI for a Sequential logo, all power to them, I just do not understand it.

What I would understand though, was if the formfactor changed, or a better keybed or a new board revision was the difference, even if the sound was the same.

Besides, I am probably one of the few that like the DSI logo better than the Sequential one... I never really liked the font that much.

But...nl matter what, if I like the synth, I could not care less if it said Sequential, DSI or anything else... I also never understood why some people moan about MOOGs sometimes weird naming of their products...

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 12:35:56 PM »
Mine

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 02:57:21 PM »
Is the keyboard different on the REV2? Or is it a little stiffer because it’s new?