question about OB-6 knobs

pfrf

question about OB-6 knobs
« on: October 05, 2019, 12:59:39 AM »
I want to replace the knobs on the OB-6 with nicer ones, rubber or aluminum.  I know I need some with pointers or dots and some without.  I see the OB-6 uses D shaft knobs with the pointer on the round side of the D.  What would that be called?  Does anybody know the exact specifications of these knobs?  Does anyone have a link to a place to buy them? 

I'm hoping someone can help!  Thanks.

Re: question about OB-6 knobs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 09:40:10 PM »
I had a prophet 6 with similar knobs to what you speak of, and I much prefer the OB-6's knobs. Their larger size allows more granular/smooth turning and they also abstract the feeling of the pots away from the user. The prophets I had (inc rev2) felt a little gritty and less inspiring to use, esp while tweaking live while playing...

If it's just the looks that bother you, I'd be wary of swapping them. They feel great to me.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2019, 09:44:05 PM by SynthHead »
Prophet 10 Rev 4 (Keyboard) | Trigon-6 (Keyboard) | OB-6 (Keyboard)

pfrf

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 07:50:45 PM »
For me it’s the feel.  The plastic knobs feel hard and brittle, I don’t like them.  They look okay.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 07:42:56 AM »
Ditto, they look nice to me but I always thought the hard plastic feel a little off putting.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 01:36:22 PM »
You might have a look at THIS COMPANY. A lot of people have been replacing Korg knobs with these and the color lets you identify 'classes' of knobs.
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

pfrf

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 06:59:57 PM »
You might have a look at THIS COMPANY. A lot of people have been replacing Korg knobs with these and the color lets you identify 'classes' of knobs.

Nice!  Thanks for that link.  :)

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 01:00:18 AM »
do the knobs just pull off?  I think mine needs a tyre lever.

pfrf

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 05:07:13 PM »
They do just pull off.  I take a piece of cloth, slide it underneath all around the base of the knob, then pull straight up.