Prophet 12 Keyboard mint for 1800.-€ - Would it a good buy?

Prophet 12 Keyboard mint for 1800.-€ - Would it a good buy?
« on: October 04, 2019, 06:18:12 AM »
I just got an offer for a Prophet 12 Keyboard in mint condition for 1800.-€!

I own the P12 Module. I ask myself will it worth to buy the Keyboard and selling my Module?

Is it a good price?
What do you think about the value future wise? Will the price goes more down or will the price rise up?

Dave Smith said that the Prophet 12 is the best Synthesizer he ever created.

Now it’s discontinued!

Would be this P12 Keyboard a good investment or will I loose a lot of money when I decide to sell it after two years?

What is your opinion?
To buy or not to buy, that’s the question...  8)
DSI Pro2, Prophet 12 and Prophet Rev2 Keyboards, Waldorf Blofeld, Elektron Analog Four, Digitone, Analog Four, Synthstrom Deluge, Roli Seaboard
iPad Pro, Auria Pro, FabFilters, Eventide Blackhole and more great music apps. :)

Shaw

Re: Prophet 12 Keyboard mint for 1800.-€ - Would it a good buy?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 10:09:05 AM »
Hard to say if that is a good deal or if future prices will go up or down. (most likely they will gradually do down for a while and then trend upward as the synth reaches "classic" status and becomes rare)....

the only real question is this:  is it a good deal to YOU?  And is that a price you are willing to pay at this point in time?

Good luck!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 11:27:33 AM »
Thanks a lot for your opinion @Shaw!  :)

Honestly I’m quite happy with the Module I already have. To spend again much money and the hustle to sell my module is a good question for me.

The main reason why I’m interested in the keyboard is that I hope it will be easier for me to dive in the synth for programming my own sounds. On the other hand I heard that the UI of the module is also easy to handle. Up to now I have not much experience with the P12m, I just bought him a few days ago. Sadly at this time was no P12 keyboard available here. If I had to choose between the two from the very beginning I’ve chosen the Keyboard...

I’m not a live keyboarder and i would use the synth exclusively in my little homestudio so perhaps  the module will fit my needs. Maybe it would be wise to go with the gear I already have.  :)

By the way, this P12 Keyboard is from 2014, the keybed is still Snow White and rarely used.

Many greetings from Berlin!
DSI Pro2, Prophet 12 and Prophet Rev2 Keyboards, Waldorf Blofeld, Elektron Analog Four, Digitone, Analog Four, Synthstrom Deluge, Roli Seaboard
iPad Pro, Auria Pro, FabFilters, Eventide Blackhole and more great music apps. :)

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 03:12:26 AM »
If you have the money, go for it!
 Keep the module too and have 4 layers of awesome!

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 03:57:06 AM »
I recently bought a (second) 'As New' P12 for £2150 (buy now pay next year). I had been reluctant to take 'Cassandra' out of my studio so thought a second backup P12 was the best solution. Your 1800 Euros seems like a bargain.

Now that I have 2 I have become aware of additional opportunities. I had written over 200 voices all of which have complementary parts A and B. I route A and B to 2 volume pedals for individual control and I use 2 expression pedals to subtly (or less subtly) change the timbre. If I were to link both P12s together I would have an awesome range of expression possibilities for any of my voices (with not enough feet to control them fully).

If you are using a P12 and a module, once you are comfortable with the programming you will be able to link them together and expand your sounds further - I didn't consider this when I wrote my voices for Cassandra, but you will have the advantage of knowing from the start that you can take your sounds 'even further'. I envy you!

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 05:12:49 AM »
If you have the money, go for it!
 Keep the module too and have 4 layers of awesome!

I recently bought a (second) 'As New' P12 for £2150 (buy now pay next year). I had been reluctant to take 'Cassandra' out of my studio so thought a second backup P12 was the best solution. Your 1800 Euros seems like a bargain.

If you are using a P12 and a module, once you are comfortable with the programming you will be able to link them together and expand your sounds further - I didn't consider this when I wrote my voices for Cassandra, but you will have the advantage of knowing from the start that you can take your sounds 'even further'. I envy you!

Thank you so much for your opinions, they was very helpful!

I decided to go with the Keyboard and luckily I got some discount so I paid just 1600€. I think it was a very good price!

At the moment I stacked the two P12, just for experimental ...

You are right, this would be an awesome sound laboratory!  :)

« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 05:48:22 AM by Chandro Ji »

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 07:53:03 PM »
Congratulations on the purchase of your P12 Keys, that was indeed a great price. Such a beautiful synth. Recently picked one up myself, had been wanting one for a few years. Extremely happy. Hope you feel you can dig in deeper with ease compared to the module version ! Enjoy.
Prophet 10 (Rev 4), OB-X8, Prophet 12,OB-6, Pro 2, Waldorf Quantum, MemoryMoog Plus

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2019, 04:08:43 AM »
Have fun with it! Dont forget to take a break and go outside from time to time though! ;)

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2019, 08:26:32 AM »
Congratulations on the purchase of your P12 Keys, that was indeed a great price. Such a beautiful synth. Recently picked one up myself, had been wanting one for a few years. Extremely happy. Hope you feel you can dig in deeper with ease compared to the module version ! Enjoy.

Thanks a lot @crrobe1!

I’m already happy that I can access most relevant parameters directly with dedicated knobs. Love the happy accidents while tweaking...  ;)

It’s also great having the two touch sliders which I already love from my P12.

Love my new P12 Keyboard and I will keep it!  :)

Have fun with it! Dont forget to take a break and go outside from time to time though! ;)

Hihi!  :)
Thanks a lot for your good advice @standingwave!
Time can running fast with toys like the P12.  8)

One question:
I’ve noticed I miss the bank names in the OLED when displaying the patchname. At all my other DSI synths I see U1-U4 or F5-F7 next the patch name.

Is it because the dedicated buttons for the bank selection? So this is normal?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 08:42:17 AM by Chandro Ji »

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 03:07:35 PM »
I really like the performance controls on the P12 keys. I've never used the module, but I have to think that the extra physical controls make it a bit easier to program. Despite having space issues, I haven't been tempted to sell the keys and get the module. Sounds like you've already decided, but sometimes extra validation is helpful.  ;)
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 05:06:16 PM »

I’m already happy that I can access most relevant parameters directly with dedicated knobs. Love the happy accidents while tweaking...  ;)

It’s also great having the two touch sliders which I already love from my P12.

Love my new P12 Keyboard and I will keep it!  :)

The Slider strips are fantastic - it's one of my favourite things about the P12 keyboard and makes it feel like an instrument not just a synth.

It's perfectly normal for the bank not to be in the display on the P12, as (you quite rightly said yourself) there's no need due to the dedicated illuminated buttons which display the factory or user banks that are selected and which of the 4 banks too.
The numeric keypad (with ppm down, ppm up buttons) and also the 'Playlist' mode are another two things I LOVE about the P12 which I really missed on the REV2.

Anyway, that's enough of my biased love of the P12 - hope you enjoy using them both. :)