Cleaning and dusting your synth?

jg666

Cleaning and dusting your synth?
« on: October 04, 2019, 02:36:13 AM »
As per the title, does anyone have any tips to share about cleaning synths in general? I have a woman who cleans for me but she's not keen on going anywhere near my synth corner and I can't blame her for that to be honest.

They aren't very easy to dust because of all the knobs etc so I wondered if anyone has any tips? I borrowed a dyson cordless and used the dusting brush attachment earlier this week and I think that has helped.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

chysn

Re: Cleaning and dusting your synth?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 04:22:58 PM »
As per the title, does anyone have any tips to share about cleaning synths in general? I have a woman who cleans for me but she's not keen on going anywhere near my synth corner and I can't blame her for that to be honest.

They aren't very easy to dust because of all the knobs etc so I wondered if anyone has any tips? I borrowed a dyson cordless and used the dusting brush attachment earlier this week and I think that has helped.

I keep a couple small anti-static electronics brushes around and gently brush the module surfaces to keep dust from accumulating around the knobs.

Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 05:55:49 AM »
The best medicine is prevention. We keep our synths covered when not in use.

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 03:00:10 PM »
The best medicine is prevention. We keep our synths covered when not in use.

This, but my Swiffer comes in handy for dusting the surface. It collects and traps dust better than paint brushes, while being equally soft, IME.
Prophet 12, Modal 002, MFB Dominion 1, Behringer DeepMind 12D, Korg Polysix & EX-8000, Roland JX-8P, Ensoniq SQ-80, Kawai K3m and now an OB-6!

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 11:58:37 PM »
I use low lighting in lieu of doing much dusting! A 40w bulb hung from the ceiling covers a multitude of dusty sins!

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 04:30:42 AM »
A paint brush works well for me. :)