One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth

jg666

Re: One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth
« Reply #440 on: September 14, 2022, 06:51:01 AM »
Just noticed that the Modal Argon has had yet another firmware update with new features. Have you considered the Argon8x or the Cobalt8x or does your next synth have to be analogue?

I believe they both have a decent keybed and are reasonably cheap.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #441 on: September 14, 2022, 02:49:08 PM »
Just noticed that the Modal Argon has had yet another firmware update with new features. Have you considered the Argon8x or the Cobalt8x or does your next synth have to be analogue?

I've studied those instruments a number of times.  They've interested me especially because they come in both keyboard and module versions, which would suit me well.  But...I don't know, the quality of the sound just doesn't strike me as high enough.  It seems to match the price tag.  Kinda blah....

jg666

« Reply #442 on: September 14, 2022, 11:47:13 PM »

I've studied those instruments a number of times.  They've interested me especially because they come in both keyboard and module versions, which would suit me well.  But...I don't know, the quality of the sound just doesn't strike me as high enough.  It seems to match the price tag.  Kinda blah....

Yes I know what you mean :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #443 on: September 15, 2022, 05:35:37 AM »
I've learned from experience that once you've set the DSI/Sequential quality as your standard, there's no going back.  It makes meddling with other brand instruments quite difficult, quite disappointing and frustrating.

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #444 on: September 16, 2022, 07:18:38 AM »
Sacred Synthesis-
I wasn't online very much over the summer and am just getting caught up with this thread/journey. I'm sorry to hear that dissatisfaction has crept in. I'll mention that when DSI said that the Rev2 sounds identical to the '08 (when programmed identically), I believe them. This was what I found when I compared and contrasted them, and I would never want to go back to the '08 if I had the choice. Remember that there are also things about the '08 and Rev2 that don't always work well when in Mono mode, such at the little pops that I have found annoying at various times.

I have an online correspondence with a synthesis with a great deal of knowledge, as well as an unbelievable collection of gear that spans decades. He seems to buy or at least try most of the big players that come on the market. He shares my love for Vangelis and the CS-80, and for recreating those sounds, he loves the P12 more than anything else. He also told me yesterday that he recently added the Novation Summit to his setup and is amazed by the quality. He has two Rev2 (like me: keys and module), and he says the Summit is "much better." He emphasizes that "the factory presets are NOT representative of the quality of this synth," and I know you know this already for most synthesizers. He says "It's simply amazing..." Also notice that it is said to be true stereo, so no need for a module. I haven't tried one yet, but it is food for thought for down the road.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 07:29:37 AM by Jason »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #445 on: September 17, 2022, 03:09:24 PM »
Those are the reasons - if ever I replace my 8-voice Poly Evolver - it will be with a Summit.  That's clear for me.  And the reason I don't yet have a Rev2 is that every time I get the money, a little financial disaster comes along and steals it.  I can't tell you how many times this has happened.  So, as the price of a Rev2 has climbed, I've had to turn to less expensive stuff.  Hence, the Odyssey.

I haven't soured on the Odysseys yet; I've just realized they're no substitute for a Prophet '08 in Unison mode.  Maybe contrary to you and others, I find the P'08 to double as a superb mono synth.  There are always a few idiosyncrasies to deal with, but they can be partly resolved with a little ingenuity.  And the fact that, using Split mode, you can have two different monophonic patches simultaneously available from the one keyboard, means you have much more than just a nice long keyboard.

Rather than throw my arms up and sell the Odysseys, it seems as if I should experiment a bit more to try to get the most out of them.  My main objective, though, is still to get either a second Prophet '08, or else, a Rev2.  Always so close, and yet so far. 

As an aside, I like to think of my Hammond pedalboard controlling a P'08 module, combined with a P'08 keyboard coupled with a P'08 module, all topped off with a pair of Korg ARP Odysseys and a MIDI keyboard or two, as comprising one heck of an ARP Quadra!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:54:54 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #446 on: January 07, 2023, 05:32:50 PM »
In my opinion, the greatest shortcoming of the ARP Odyssey is its inability to delay vibrato.  I've made peace with perhaps every other aspect of the instrument, but this one is a major shortcoming that I keep running into.  It's so fundamental to the sawtooth solo patch that I constantly use. 

« Reply #447 on: January 08, 2023, 10:06:44 AM »
In my opinion, the greatest shortcoming of the ARP Odyssey is its inability to delay vibrato.  I've made peace with perhaps every other aspect of the instrument, but this one is a major shortcoming that I keep running into.  It's so fundamental to the sawtooth solo patch that I constantly use.

Does the 2600 have that feature?  Only reason I ask, is because I have one of the B knockoffs of the 2600, and it has that feature. But I think B added a few things not true to original.  Would you consider a 2600 versus the Odyssey?
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #448 on: January 08, 2023, 10:53:36 AM »
I'm curious how many "classic" mono synths had a delayed vibrato feature. I've had a few poly synths, like the PolySix and Juno 6, that did, but not any monos...

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #449 on: January 08, 2023, 11:23:40 AM »

Does the 2600 have that feature?  Only reason I ask, is because I have one of the B knockoffs of the 2600, and it has that feature. But I think B added a few things not true to original.  Would you consider a 2600 versus the Odyssey?

Oh, the ARP 2600 is my numero uno dream instrument, but it would be the Korg M version.  I honestly don't know if the original instrument could delay an LFO.  I actually bought the Zoom MS-70CDR pedal to provide this feature, but I would prefer to have the effect belong to the synthesizer patch, because I don't intend to keep the Zoom for too long.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #450 on: January 08, 2023, 11:35:09 AM »
I'm curious how many "classic" mono synths had a delayed vibrato feature. I've had a few poly synths, like the PolySix and Juno 6, that did, but not any monos...

The later model of the Octave CAT had the LFO delay, and so did the Roland Juno 60.  I had both instruments many moons ago.  But most importantly, the old DSI synthesizers have it and I use it constantly.  But since the Odysseys have taken over all mono synth duties, I've been terribly missing the feature.  It makes me reconsider returning mono synth parts to a Prophet '08, because I don't like the unnatural effect of a constant vibrato from the first instant of every note strike.  It sounds too "programmed."

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #451 on: January 25, 2023, 11:23:48 AM »
You can control the modulation depth with an envelope.  So, yes, the Korg ARP 2600M allows you to delay the vibrato, but it takes several patch cords to get there.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2023, 12:46:07 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #452 on: January 26, 2023, 08:47:35 AM »
OK, that makes sense. Lots of routing with that instrument.    Looking forward to playing with the semi modular gear again.    I have spread myself thin lately, partially due to a GAS surge this past year- which by the way- truly has a diversionary effect as many have expressed here.  I'm not necessarily complaining, I do like playing with new toys , but there is the effect of long absences from any one instrument, which puts you back in the starting blocks sometimes.     
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #453 on: February 09, 2023, 05:32:46 PM »
I have a Moog Minimoog Voyager and a Sequential Pro3.  The Pro3 is of course is a Mono/Paraphonic synth and the Moog
is of course monophonic. I have the lunar impact voyager with the flashing Pitch and Mod Wheels. While nothings perfect these two synths even though offering different features are my main mono synths. I bought the voyager used. It drifts
though.  I tune it up and it holds its tuning while I’m playing although if I change the presets it will be out of tune. It has the sound though . I’ve read on forums that Minimoog voyagers are known for thier drifting. The Sequential Pro3 is rock solid tuning wise. It has never drifted.  The Pro3 can get a lot of the moog sounds and also does its own thing sonic wise due to its wavetable oscillator and its  architecture. Also the Pro3 has three different filters. The voyager and the sequential pro3 are both in stereo. The moog has a stereo filter. The Pro3 is in stereo because of its effects.  The Minimoog model D reissue
Costs $5000. The voyager and the Pro3 total was$4600. Less than the Minimoog model D. As great as the modelD is I would rather have the voyager and the Pro3 due to thier memory & modulation capabilities  and other features. All three are great synths I just prefer memory and the voyager has sync where the Minimoog model D  RI doesn’t. The only other mono synth I ever had was the sequential circuits pro 1 . It was a great mono synth but I prefer the pro3 over it. It didn’t have memory
Or midi.  That was probably around 1981 , a long time ago. I’ve heard demos on YouTube of the pro1 vs the Minimoog model D the vintage one. It was hard to tell which one was which. Good luck in finding the perfect mono synth, there are alot of contenders that are worthy.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #454 on: June 13, 2023, 09:35:58 PM »
I guess I should add my final contributions to this thread.  After all, I've decided to keep the two ARP Odysseys.  I'm now controlling them with a second Prophet '08 Keyboard, which means I'm back to using a glorious five-octave keyboard for my analog mono synth.  I've added a Source Audio Ventris Dual Reverb to the general set up, and I'll soon add as well a Source Audio Nemesis Delay, specifically for the Odysseys.  I came very close to getting a Korg ARP 2600M instead of the second P'08, and it's not impossible that I might manage the ARP next year.  But most likely, this is how one man's quest for the perfect mono synth happily ends.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2023, 09:43:46 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jg666

« Reply #455 on: June 14, 2023, 12:53:33 AM »
Excellent, sounds like you've found your perfect setup there, hope you have many happy hours with it  :)