One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth

Sacred Synthesis

Re: One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth
« Reply #400 on: June 21, 2021, 08:37:47 AM »
I expect one improvement will be the addition of an expression pedal jack.  That was quite an oversight.  Also, the pitch wheel works only in fine steps, rather than smoothly.  You have to hear it to believe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1ZryopmYMY
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:08:41 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

maxter

« Reply #401 on: June 21, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »
That's insane... how could they even release it that way? The stepping is worse than on old 80's synths using 7-bit pitch bend (unless some quantization is to blame here, which I doubt). How they even "achieved" something like that is beyond comprehension.

Personally, I think any/all new instruments or midi controllers should have not only 14-bit pitch-bend, but ALSO 14-bit mod wheel... WHY not? (I'll probably never get it)
The Way the Truth and the Life

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #402 on: June 21, 2021, 01:04:59 PM »
I'm trying to imagine the sound of a filter sweep with that dreadful stepping.

I had put 10% down on this controller to reserve one from the new shipment.  It would have wonderfully completed my Odyssey mono synth, but now I'm not going any further.  And there's no information as to when the new model will be available.  Jeepers, I thought I saw the light at the end of the tunnel!

I've considered the Synthesizers.com keyboards, but I have no experience with them.  Anybody?

https://www.synthesizers.com/controllers.html
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 01:55:53 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #403 on: June 24, 2021, 02:26:53 PM »
The new version of the above keyboard controller is expected to be out in November.  It should have 'two expression pedal inputs, one endless encoder, and some software tweaks.'  Presumably, the latter will fix the terrible pitch bend wheel stepping problem.  Before November, there may be some limited edition units in various colors.

« Reply #404 on: June 25, 2021, 04:38:33 AM »
The new version of the above keyboard controller is expected to be out in November.  It should have 'two expression pedal inputs, one endless encoder, and some software tweaks.'  Presumably, the latter will fix the terrible pitch bend wheel stepping problem.  Before November, there may be some limited edition units in various colors.

Will it move pitch and mod wheels to the side? Have you seen images?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #405 on: June 25, 2021, 03:50:55 PM »
That's all I know.  When I find an image, I'll post it here.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #406 on: October 01, 2021, 07:31:33 AM »
For what it's worth, I now have a Bandcamp account:

https://themusicalsynthesizer.bandcamp.com/

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #407 on: October 02, 2021, 08:34:11 AM »
For what it's worth, I now have a Bandcamp account:

https://themusicalsynthesizer.bandcamp.com/
You have a new fan! Great you're also on Bandcamp, very good move. Now I can purchase your music and download it in highest quality.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #408 on: October 02, 2021, 12:44:11 PM »
Thanks, Gerry.  I'm not sure it's the "highest quality," but it's okay - certainly better than YouTube.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #409 on: January 17, 2022, 03:10:29 PM »
This is my current monophonic synthesizer system: two Korg ARP Odyssey Modules - one master and one slave using the Trig, Gate, and CV jacks - with both units running through a Zoom MS-70CDR effects pedal and controlled by a Nectar Impact GXP49 Keyboard.  It's a tidy little system and is easy to program, especially with the modules now resting on a long music stand and tilted to a convenient angle. 

I just bought the keyboard controller last week ($190 at Sweetwater).  It has a moderately cheap feel, but it's really not too bad.  I decided to buy it because the keyboard I actually wanted - the second version of the EXTRA DELUXE Sixty-One 61Key Midi Controller (see page 15 of this thread) - is still nowhere to be seen, and the company has not responded to my several emails.  So, I went ahead and bought a probably temporary keyboard that wouldn't cause me too much financial grief.

I bought the Zoom effects pedal several months ago.  It's pleasantly surprised me with its quality, and I would consider buying a second one for my Prophet '08.  I'm using it primarily for delay and chose it because it's very reasonably priced ($150 at Sweetwater) and has an excellent vibrato effect that can allow the Odysseys' single LFO to be used for pulse width modulation.  In other words, it can be used as a second LFO.  Plus, it has stereo inputs and outputs, which allow the two Odysseys to run through the same device and have synchronized modulation/effects. 

With minimal resources for this system, I had to thoroughly study the instruments available to me for a full year and make my decisions carefully.  The end result is definitely worth it.  This is a fine little mono synth system, and I have no regrets about each component in it.

Is this system permanent - relatively speaking?  Who knows?  It would be a cinch to replace any of its components.  I could eventually upgrade to a better five-octave keyboard or insert a better effects unit.  But most interesting will be the appearance of the Korg ARP 2600M.  If that instrument is around for several years, I could imagine one (or two!) becoming a part of this system.  And that's the beauty of it - the flexibility.  For now, though, I'm very happy with my Odyssey system, and the only necessity that remains is using it to make beautiful music.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2022, 03:26:21 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #410 on: January 18, 2022, 09:32:47 AM »
Looking at the start of this thread, this was a long quest Sacred Synthesis.  Glad your happy with it. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #411 on: January 18, 2022, 09:58:18 AM »
Thanks, Soundquest.  It was a mundane but fascinating odyssey.

chysn

« Reply #412 on: January 18, 2022, 01:47:26 PM »
It'll be interesting to see how (and if) it evolves over time. I know the controller has to have been a big compromise. But it's probably nice to have the instruments finally nailed down.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #413 on: January 18, 2022, 02:08:35 PM »
Yes, the controller was a compromise.  I was waiting and waiting for the Deluxe keyboard, and, typical of these times, there was no sign of it.  I was controlling the ARPs with my Prophet '08, which cost me the P'08 when recording.  So, I decided not to wait any longer.  But the Nectar is not so bad.  It's mediocre, which is fine for a while.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #414 on: January 22, 2022, 06:04:16 PM »
But I would say the Nectar keyboard is no worse than the keyboard on the original ARP Odyssey and the Korg reissue.  It's probably a tad better.

« Reply #415 on: January 24, 2022, 05:09:00 AM »
But I would say the Nectar keyboard is no worse than the keyboard on the original ARP Odyssey and the Korg reissue.  It's probably a tad better.

Yes (not a fan of the Pratt-Reed J-wire options) and most definitely yes (the Odyssey FS keyboard uses grouped keys and is worse than the Behringer equivalent).
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #416 on: January 24, 2022, 06:29:53 AM »
Right.  This is the reason I chose not to get the keyboard version, but to couple the modules with a separate keyboard controller.  I would have done the same even with a single module.  An ARP Odyssey with a decent four or five octave keyboard is an absolute pearl. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:31:28 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #417 on: April 25, 2022, 05:15:37 PM »

I've gotten used to this keyboard, and I have no complaints about it.  It actually feels a bit better than the keyboard on the Prophet '08.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #418 on: April 25, 2022, 05:20:10 PM »
I've been hyperventilating over the just-released Korg ARP 2600M.  The 2600 FS is my all-time favorite mono synth, and the M version looks and sounds as if it's just as good.  This sends my thoughts spiraling into dreams of selling my two Odysseys to finance the M.  But no.  I recently spent a couple late-night hours on my little Odyssey system and, goodness gracious, it's hard to imagine improving on it.  Four sawtooths in stereo and that bright and crispy ARP filter had me thinking that this would be very difficult to replace.  Perhaps two 2600Ms could do the job, but I would expect such a system would be quite time-consuming to program, patch by patch.  As it is, I find myself designing favorite patches on the Odysseys and then leaving them up for the night...or week  Non-programmable synthesizers deter experimentation, because it's just too much of an effort to get the instrument back to a basic useful patch.  That's not a complaint, but simply a fact.  Having or lacking programmability definitely affects your sound designing.

I don't know about Korg's future interest in other ARP re-issues.  Perhaps it will end with the 2600M.  But along the lines of simple keyboard synthesizers, I would love to see a re-issued ARP Solus or Axxe.  I had the latter many years ago, and I'm still impressed by how good a single oscillator monophonic synthesizer can sound.  The Solus stands between the Axxe and the Odyssey and is another simple and brilliant classic.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 05:36:54 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #419 on: April 26, 2022, 07:21:15 PM »
This sends my thoughts spiraling into dreams of selling my two Odysseys to finance the M.

Heh. That seems like it would be out of character! That would be a classic dearly-departed Razmo move! Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I think you nailed the problem. If you insist on stereo, duplicating a 2600 patch would be soul-sucking. You probably wouldn't feel like playing anything afterward.

Non-programmable synthesizers deter experimentation, because it's just too much of an effort to get the instrument back to a basic useful patch.

It deters experimentation if you care about getting back to a specific patch. If you're willing to let something happen that will never happen again, then it encourages experimentation. Especially when patch cables are involved.

Hardwired synths, programmable or no, deter experimentation, because you can't do anything with the signal path. If you really want experimentation, there's probably no better synth than the 2600. But chances are, you'd want the 2600 and your Odysseys, in much the same way I decided to have a modular and a Pro 3.

I would love to see a re-issued ARP Solus or Axxe.

I usually don't look back, but parting with my Axxe is my biggest synth regret. Adding a reissue wouldn't do anything for me at this point, but I'd certainly be happy to see it happen. I'd be somewhat disappointed for it to get the "Mini" treatment; it's not like it's huge to begin with!
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his