One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth

Re: One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth
« Reply #360 on: May 16, 2021, 03:03:42 AM »
Apparently, that "Extra Deluxe MFG The Sixty-One with Module 01 MIDI Controller" referred to on this thread is quite a popular item.  They'e sold out, anyways, but I've got one from the next batch reserved.  So, that will be my dedicated mono synth - two Korg ARP Odyssey Modules controlled by a five-octave keyboard and effected by a Zoom MS-70CDR Pedal.

They look pretty nice (though might’ve been nicer for the wheels to be at the side).

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #361 on: May 16, 2021, 08:55:58 AM »
True, but the size fits perfectly above something like a Prophet '08/Rev2.  I would have preferred no controls at all, but an entirely flat top.

« Reply #362 on: May 17, 2021, 11:15:39 AM »
Finally caught up with this saga. So happy to see this odyssey of Sacred Synthesis come to a close with two Odysseys! I really love the sounds you've so masterfully coaxed from them in your recent videos.

All I can add is that you should do yourself a favor and reconsider getting a gray 2B00 (or two), as I call them. Larger and cheaper than the still-awaited compact Korg variant, and with added functionality that you wouldn't want to miss. All with a quite surprising build quality — it may be the most pleasant synth to touch that I own (with the VC340 being a close second, strangely. Sliders all the way!)

Life's too short for politics, grudges against faceless corporations, and justifications for inconsequential purchases, and should rather be enjoyed instead.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 11:32:29 AM by Strange Quark Star »
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

timboréale

• MIDI nerd
« Reply #363 on: May 17, 2021, 12:35:15 PM »
Life's too short for politics, grudges against faceless corporations, and justifications for inconsequential purchases, and should rather be enjoyed instead.

I couldn't disagree more.
Prophet 6 keyboard, Rev2-16, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Nords, etc...

« Reply #364 on: May 17, 2021, 12:45:40 PM »

Maybe I should have added the modifier "in the realm of music equipment producers" to that statement. As in "save it for actual, real issues."
Prophet '08 № 01369
Yamaha DX7 II FD E!, RX7, CP, CS | Roland Ⅾ-50 | Korg MS-20 mini, microKORG, Volca Beats | Moog Etherwave Plus | Casio VL-Tone

YT
SC

maxter

« Reply #365 on: May 17, 2021, 01:20:21 PM »

Maybe I should have added the modifier "in the realm of music equipment producers" to that statement. As in "save it for actual, real issues."

That's a good clarification! I, for one, agree. We may all have our views and opinions on various topics, some of which are more important than others. In some cases, arguing may be a necessary, good and fruitful thing for the best, in other cases not so much, and in some even fruitless (ie will never change a thing, or even make things worse).

Like the arguments about a "remake", or a VST clone, etc, vs the "original"... "But it's not analog", "OK, it's analog, but not as 'warm' as my OG version", "But I don't have $10k to spend on a 40 yo synth, plus upcoming repairs", "Where and how would I even find one?". I wouldn't even want to know the time effectively spent (sorry, I mean wasted) on these things by the synth community.

No matter the opinions and arguments, in some cases such as this, it just won't change a thing. And may be nothing more than a waste of time and effort, better spent elsewhere.

Though this quote isn't spot on, I still think it somewhat mirrors what I mean, a saying I personally try to keep it in the back of my head:
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

I may just have wasted more time right here though  ;)  I think I'll go watch Monty Pythons "Argument Clinic" now...  ;D
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:27:33 PM by maxter »
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #366 on: May 17, 2021, 01:38:26 PM »
"God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference."

You have the ability to do this with your wallet and your decision making.

You CAN change giving your money to one manufacturer and placing it elsewhere.

maxter

« Reply #367 on: May 17, 2021, 01:50:37 PM »

Just WHAT would that change, effectively? (except me owning fewer instruments, which isn't that tempting...) Would B go out of business?

I think you missed the point I was trying to make with my last post. Not all have the same possibilities or circumstances either, which I tried to hint at as well. I have to assume it's easy to say "buy original" for those who can afford it, and several ones at that...

I'd have to sell my Rev2 in order to buy a Korg 2600. Or save up for a couple of years... at which point, they'll all be gone anyhow.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 01:56:34 PM by maxter »

maxter

« Reply #368 on: May 17, 2021, 02:37:45 PM »

To clarify, please let me emphasize: "serenity to accept the things I CANNOT change" The Gray B2600 sold out in 1-2 days, and would've done so REGARDLESS of my purchase. Whatever it is you want me to "make a change" about regarding this, I CAN NOT make that difference in the end... which leads me to my next emphasis: "wisdom to know the DIFFERENCE". Which was the point.

There ARE things I can do, change and effect. My point was that it's better to focuse on THOSE things, than those which I can NOT change.

The only effect me not buying the B2600 would have, is me not owning a 2600, that's it. I actually have the Boog as well, that I bought USED for $200, as an original Minimoog (or reissue) costs more than I would get for my whole setup. If you can afford the originals, good for you!

I hope you're not offended by me typing some words with caps-lock. I once got that reaction, someone thought I was angry or screaming or something... it's just my way of emphasizing words, not bad intentions.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 02:46:38 PM by maxter »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #369 on: May 17, 2021, 04:50:49 PM »
ANYWAYS...I have no  regrets.  I'm glad for making these very decisions; they've produced just the sort of sound I've sought for years, and by the means I far prefer.  If I haven't yet produced much in the way of Odyssey recordings, it's because the two modules are tied to my Prophet '08 Keyboard, which in turn now has an idle P'08 Module sitting beside it.  In other words, until I get the keyboard controller discussed back a few pages (and I have reserved one), my set up is totally mucked up.  Even the pedalboard is under the wrong instrument. 

I would be interested in any future ARP reissues that Korg offers, especially of monophonic instruments.  Not so much the Pro DGX, but certainly the Solus and the Axxe.  As for the 2600M, I'll just wait and see.  All things considered, I'm content to go the Korg route.

It's good to see you back on the forum SQS.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 06:20:14 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #370 on: May 17, 2021, 06:51:33 PM »
I would be really interested in an Axxe reissue. Probably not enough to buy one, but I’d surely wish I could.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #371 on: May 17, 2021, 07:47:04 PM »
Anything goes in these strange times.  If a reissued Roland RS-101 can be popular, why not the Axxe?  From modern to vintage, from programmable to non-programmable, from multi-oscillator to single oscillator.  It would be only more of the same.  There are already so many new instruments with all the features, so I'm all in for it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 08:55:40 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #372 on: May 20, 2021, 11:41:12 AM »

This I agree with in many ways.

I would love for example a 2600, been building one for years that will never work and can’t afford the Korg one at the moment. So the B one was tempting, it was my choice if I wanted to reward that company or just do without. So I did without.

« Reply #373 on: May 20, 2021, 11:46:02 AM »

I would love for example a 2600, been building one for years that will never work and can’t afford the Korg one at the moment. So the B one was tempting, it was my choice if I wanted to reward that company or just do without. So I did without.

I still don't own a Gibson guitar because of this.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #374 on: May 20, 2021, 12:39:25 PM »
I dread to wade into this issue, but it seems as if it's not going away.

It isn't a matter of whether or not you can stop a wrong with your little protests.  In most cases, you can't - this case included.  But that isn't the end of the issue, because it's also a matter of moral principle, of refusing to participate in, or benefit from, the wrong.  If I truly care about right and wrong, then, to the extent it's possible, I will not allow myself to benefit from the wrong.  In other words, I will deny myself some pleasure, so as not to gain that pleasure through the wrong.  It's not about effective or ineffective protests; it's about principle and integrity. 

Ultimately, the solution to the moral dilemma is self-denial, and people will be either willing or unwilling.

I think we've said all that we can say on this topic in a synthesizer forum.  Let everyone make their own decisions about buying Behringer equipment.  I've made my own decision, and I don't care to explain or defend it any further.  Nor am I interested in accusing others who differ.  Can we now resume the original topic of this thread?  Or else, let someone start a thread about Behringer and discuss it night and day to their heart's content.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 01:57:09 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #375 on: May 20, 2021, 01:58:56 PM »

Would you be interested in the Korg ARP 2600 Mini?  It might be about $2,000.

maxter

« Reply #376 on: May 20, 2021, 02:59:39 PM »
I dread to wade into this issue, but it seems as if it's not going away.

It isn't a matter of whether or not you can stop a wrong with your little protests.  In most cases, you can't - this case included.  But that isn't the end of the issue, because it's also a matter of moral principle, of refusing to participate in, or benefit from, the wrong.  If I truly care about right and wrong, then, to the extent it's possible, I will not allow myself to benefit from the wrong.  In other words, I will deny myself some pleasure, so as not to gain that pleasure through the wrong.  It's not about effective or ineffective protests; it's about principle and integrity. 

Ultimately, the solution to the moral dilemma is self-denial, and people will be either willing or unwilling.

I think we've said all that we can say on this topic in a synthesizer forum.  Let everyone make their own decisions about buying Behringer equipment.  I've made my own decision, and I don't care to explain or defend it any further.  Nor am I interested in accusing others who differ.  Can we now resume the original topic of this thread?  Or else, let someone start a thread about Behringer and discuss it night and day to their heart's content.

Well put, I agree. I was so off-put when this first drifted that way because it's been "beat to death" everywhere else already, and I see no real point in "arguing" about it, as it won't change a thing. It's just that I pick up this judgmental attitude sometimes on the subject, that it's a ONLY a moral issue and nothing else, judged and ruled (by who?), case closed. Which I don't agree with, and I think it's an uncivil attitude in many cases. And some may still wear shirts made in a sweat-shop in China, for instance, while boasting about their morals on other subjects. Just hypothetically and retorically speaking.

You stated something I didn't really get though, likely because english is my second language, but anyway... if you want to explain/elaborate on it, so that I can understand what you mean or imply, please do!
"Ultimately, the solution to the moral dilemma is self-denial, and people will be either willing or unwilling."

maxter

« Reply #377 on: May 20, 2021, 03:02:08 PM »

What if you buy it second hand? You're not DIRECTLY supporting the company... just food for thought.

« Reply #378 on: May 20, 2021, 03:30:19 PM »
Hey folks, I feel like I should interfere here as a moderator:  Could you please stay on the topic and move on from the B-word discussion?  Otherwise I will have to create a new thread on the subject.  Thank you.

« Reply #379 on: May 21, 2021, 10:01:15 AM »
Finally caught up with this saga. So happy to see this odyssey of Sacred Synthesis come to a close with two Odysseys! I really love the sounds you've so masterfully coaxed from them in your recent videos.

All I can add is that you should do yourself a favor and reconsider getting a gray 2B00 (or two), as I call them. Larger and cheaper than the still-awaited compact Korg variant, and with added functionality that you wouldn't want to miss. All with a quite surprising build quality — it may be the most pleasant synth to touch that I own (with the VC340 being a close second, strangely. Sliders all the way!)

Strange Quark Star.....haven't heard from you in quite a while.  Good to see you back!

RE: Monos synths  For what its worth...with 4 oscillators, I always thought the Pro 2 as a damn good mono synth, though I admit that rarely use it that way, opting for the paraphonic coolness of it.

Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1