One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth

Re: One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth
« Reply #100 on: April 13, 2016, 10:42:28 AM »
Yes, I should get something from my insurance, perhaps $1,000-$1,500.  But I may have to replace the car altogether, since it's a 2002.  This wasn't a part of the summer budget. 

I had $2,000 reserved for a new synthesizer (or some recording equipment), and I could also have added to this another $2,000 from the sale of one of my PEKs if I was motivated to sell it.  But all of this is changed now.

I don't mean to be whining here about my personal affairs, but I thought I would post an interesting update to my quest.

No, you're not whining. Things like that are just really disappointing, especially as one thinks, "okay, I'm there now," and then something unexpected happens. I had a slightly similar issue - not with regard to a car because I simply don't own one - before I was planning to get my Prophet-6 (which would have been last fall originally). So I can understand your frustration.

« Reply #101 on: April 13, 2016, 10:54:16 AM »
Very sorry to hear that, I have had to pay nearly £4000 on my car recently and all I could think about was how I could have better spent that money on musical instruments :(

Life just gets in the way.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #102 on: April 13, 2016, 10:59:28 AM »
Thanks, Paul.  I'll just deal with it.  What matters most of all is that my wife was not involved, and also that I'm okay.

As much as I was looking forward to finally getting a new synthesizer, even if it was only a module, I was also trying to take a step up in recording quality.  Now I have prioritize the latter over the former, because I'm bound and determined to change my improvising into composing, and my Youtube postings into serious polished products.  I've been dragging my heels for long enough.  Now I want and need to produce polished recordings worthy of being sold.  That's my main objective now.  But I'll continue hoping and praying that there will be some opportunity for a new synthesizer in the near future.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:29:31 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #103 on: April 13, 2016, 11:00:52 AM »
Very sorry to hear that, I have had to pay nearly £4000 on my car recently and all I could think about was how I could have better spent that money on musical instruments :(

Life just gets in the way.

Thanks, BobTheDog.  Yes, every time we synthesists have to spend a large sum of money, we have tragic visions of synthesizers flying out the window!
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:26:52 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #104 on: April 13, 2016, 11:55:07 AM »
Thanks, Paul.  I'll just deal with it.  What matters most of all is that my wife was not involved, and also that I'm okay.

That is indeed more important than anything else.

As much as I was looking forward to finally getting a new synthesizer, even if it was only a module, I was also trying to take a step up in recording quality.  Now I have prioritize the latter over the former, because I'm bound and determined to change my improvising into composing, and my Youtube postings into serious polished products.  I've been dragging my heels for long enough.  Now I want and need to produce polished recordings worthy of being sold.  That's my main objective now.  But I'll continue hoping and praying that there will be some opportunity for a new synthesizer in the near future.

That doesn't have to be a bad compromise though. It may just fire up your creativity in different ways. I had similar thoughts recently, although the other way around in technical terms. I'm well-equipped with recording facilities, but would prefer to do more stuff live. While Ableton's Push controller is already a great enhancement in that direction, I always thought about getting a really good looper instead of a new synth or sound generator for that matter. Since - let's be honest beyond any G.A.S. shenanigans - I have already covered the synth field with a couple of diverse enough and powerful insruments. So something really new for me that would enhance my performance capabilities truly lies elsewhere.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #105 on: April 13, 2016, 12:00:19 PM »
That would certainly offer you some excitement.  I think it's good also to be challenged in your work, to be rattled a bit and pushed to try harder in some way.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 12:03:40 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #106 on: April 13, 2016, 04:38:54 PM »
Aside from a neck ache, some minor head aches, and a terrible memory of it all, I'm fine.

Did you receive a full medical checkup after the accident? I know things can be challenging in the states regarding this. Anyway, both whiplash and head injuries need special attention and can have long term effects so I really hope its not that bad!

I am very happy it did not get worse than actually did. Still its a high price to pay on both health impact, studio impact and car reconfiguration artifacts. Good that your wife is intact! I really hope you get it all sorted out well, my old friend!

Sounds like a plan with the recording tools improvements planned. Do you consider getting yourself a modern computer (such as a Mac Mini) and an audio interface (such as RME Babyface Pro or Apogee Duet) to enter the world of computer based recording? Or are you more towards getting a standalone unit? The advantage of the computer based approach is the software tools such as iZotope Ozone for mastering not to mention that someone may one day make a working editor for your synthesizers.

Best wishes for your recovery!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

chysn

« Reply #107 on: April 13, 2016, 05:08:05 PM »
Do you consider getting yourself a modern computer (such as a Mac Mini) and an audio interface (such as RME Babyface Pro or Apogee Duet) to enter the world of computer based recording?

I was going to mention this, as well. I recently came from an attitude where only a standalone recording unit would do, to the realization that computer-based recording is a friendlier way to go. If you already have a computer, then your investment would be (initially, at least) limited to the audio interface and the software.

It worth trying, at least. It took me quite some time to find software that worked like I wanted software to work. Fortunately, the big systems have demos that you can try out for a month.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

dslsynth

« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2016, 06:12:51 PM »
It took me quite some time to find software that worked like I wanted software to work. Fortunately, the big systems have demos that you can try out for a month.

For the record I actually have Ozone but have yet to use it partly because of unresolved platform decisions and partly because of my current mastering knowledge. Having access to a computer certainly makes audio processing better and allows to pick the best parts for each element of the recording chain compared to a standalone unit where all the decisions are made by the company making the unit. I am sure we can have many interesting discussions on that topic!

Anyway, current primary concern is your health, Sacred Synthesis! Wishing you a full and fast recovery!
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #109 on: April 13, 2016, 06:28:05 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words, guys.  I'm actually fine; I just got a bit of a jolt. 

As for the recording, I had a few things in mind, but all hardware.  For the time being, everything is on hold, and I'm thankful for what I do have.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 07:51:47 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #110 on: April 20, 2016, 03:02:23 PM »
I haven't given up on this quest since my accident, and even if I can add only a little piece to the project, as long as it fits in with the larger long-term objective, I'm on track.

If anyone here has used the Analog Solutions Leipzig keyboard or module, I'd like to hear your thoughts on the instrument. 

The Leipzig seems to have an excellent analog sonic character, but two things put me off about it.  First - as I said before - it really doesn't have a pure square waveform to offer; it's square sounds just like a medium-width pulse.  The second thing is due to a little reading in between the lines.  Analogue Solutions' own descriptions of the instrument, as found on their website and in the manual, seem to boast about the Leipzig's bona fide old school qualities, including its instabilities!  To put it lightly, in my opinion, this is not a desirable feature.  I presume they're referring to 1) unstable and drifty oscillators, even after warm-up time, and 2) poor oscillator-keyboard tracking, resulting in varied oscillator beating, depending on where you are on the keyboard. 

Now I've been quite happy with DCOs, due to their stability in these two areas.  I have no interest in reviving the 1970s - problems and all - in my music room, but only in having a thick raw analog tone available from one of my instruments.  And I definitely want substantial oscillator stability!

Is anybody here familiar with the Leipzig and able to comment on these concerns?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:16:55 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

dslsynth

« Reply #111 on: April 20, 2016, 03:19:25 PM »
Hope your recovery is going well and that no severe health impacts are showing up.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2016, 03:24:39 PM »
Hope your recovery is going well and that no severe health impacts are showing up.

Thanks, Dslsynth.  I have no health problems whatsoever.  I'm as healthy as a white-tailed deer.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 03:32:44 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #113 on: May 03, 2016, 09:57:30 AM »
How about the new Moog Model 15 iPad app, sound examples here: https://soundcloud.com/moogmusicinc/sets/moog-model-15-app

Sounds amazing to me!

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #114 on: May 03, 2016, 10:03:15 AM »
I'm looking for a physical musical instrument with a keyboard.

chysn

« Reply #115 on: May 03, 2016, 11:25:34 AM »
Re: the Model 15 app: I never enjoy those things. iPad synths, I mean. I've tried so hard. It's just not fun. I might buy the app, when it inevitably goes on sale for half-price, just to learn more about modular history. It's probably faithfully re-created enough to be a good educational tool in that respect.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #116 on: May 03, 2016, 10:02:57 PM »
After spending a huge amount of time searching for months for the ideal monophonic synthesizer, I've come back to ye olde instruments.  The Prophet '08 best fills my list of ideals, and could even be improved if supplemented by a module or two.  The Vermona Mono Lancet would have made a nice supplement, but from what some users have claimed, its keyboard-oscillator tracking is apparently rather poor, and this is especially obvious when one uses the octave switches.  That would definitely be a problem for me.  Probably, the Oberheim SEM Pro would be the best choice. 

Two other possibilities are the Prophet-6 or the Pro 2.  One P-6 would be inadequate, but a keyboard/module pair could compensate for a few weaknesses.  The Pro 2 definitely suits my preferences in voice architecture, and it actually sounds pretty good, but it couldn't quite fill the analog duties which are the priority in this quest.

Decisions, decisions! 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 04:51:33 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2016, 06:12:49 AM »
I'm looking for a physical musical instrument with a keyboard.

It was said in jest ;)

Did you listen to the sound clips though, sounds good.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #118 on: May 04, 2016, 07:36:00 AM »
Oh , I missed the joke.  But yes, the sound was quite good.

« Reply #119 on: May 04, 2016, 08:21:29 AM »
I should have added a ;)

I'm a bit too old for these things!