One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth

chysn

Re: One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth
« Reply #320 on: April 18, 2021, 02:33:05 PM »
The Prophet '08 has an advantage over the Rev2 as a keyboard controller; namely, it has a MIDI Poly Chain Out jack which, when not used for poly chaining, doubles as a second MIDI Out.  So, the P'08 can control two individual modules that are not connected to each other.  Unfortunately, the Rev2 lacks this Poly Chain Out, which makes it less valuable as a MIDI controller, especially for my situation.

Does that really offset the features that the Rev 2 adds? The effects, the wave shaping, the extra modulation slots, more polyphony? These seem pretty compelling.

It might be worth looking into whether the Rev 2 sends voltage on MIDI out pins. I know that the Prophet 8 didn't. But if the Rev 2 does, you can use a simple MIDI Thru box to split its output.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 02:39:04 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #321 on: April 18, 2021, 03:37:15 PM »
There's also the possibility that two Odysseys can be controlled by one MIDI Out jack, since the two units can be interconnected by CV, Gate, and Trig jacks.  But I haven't done such experiments in a long time, so I'm winging it here.

Speaking of the Rev2, I'm still holding out for it.  This ARP Odyssey flirtation is still just a fling.  It's the best mono synth configuration I've been able to come up with these past few years, but it's still the P'08 and Rev2 that fulfill all my requirements.  It's just that I've been so exclusively DSI/Sequential-bound for quite a while, and I was hoping to add something different to my sound.  But I've had my appreciation for Dave's designs greatly increased these last few days.  And if it weren't for that short little keyboard, I'm sure I could be sold on a Pro 3 easily enough.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 04:01:55 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #322 on: April 23, 2021, 09:53:29 AM »
I enjoyed reading your comments about KARP. I think that click would bother me.

The Prophet '08 has an advantage over the Rev2 as a keyboard controller; namely, it has a MIDI Poly Chain Out jack which, when not used for poly chaining, doubles as a second MIDI Out.  So, the P'08 can control two individual modules that are not connected to each other.  Unfortunately, the Rev2 lacks this Poly Chain Out, which makes it less valuable as a MIDI controller, especially for my situation.

There are various MIDI boxes that could take care of this, such as:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MIDIthru4--midi-solutions-multivoltage-quadra-thru-1-in-4-out-midi-through-box

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #323 on: April 24, 2021, 01:43:03 PM »
Thanks, Jason. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #324 on: April 24, 2021, 09:27:28 PM »
This is a rather meek introduction to my new pair of Korg ARP Odysseys, but I wanted to record something as soon as possible.  I still have a MIDI keyboard controller to add, and a Zoom MS-70CDR MultiStomp Chorus/Delay/Reverb Pedal should be arriving soon. 

This instrument - the long sought object of my quest - may still take a bit of tweaking, as I try to find the right combination of things.  But thus far, I'm thrilled with the two Odysseys, and having them freed from a three-octave keyboard to a five-octave one transforms the instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2i9AevtC2I
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 09:56:46 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #325 on: April 24, 2021, 10:34:36 PM »
This is a rather meek introduction to my new pair of Korg ARP Odysseys, but I wanted to record something as soon as possible.  I still have a MIDI keyboard controller to add, and a Zoom MS-70CDR MultiStomp Chorus/Delay/Reverb Pedal should be arriving soon. 

This instrument - the long sought object of my quest - may still take a bit of tweaking, as I try to find the right combination of things.  But thus far, I'm thrilled with the two Odysseys, and having them freed from a three-octave keyboard to a five-octave one transforms the instrument.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2i9AevtC2I

A lovely piece of music, as we always expect from you, and a satisfying "conclusion" to the eternal quest so many of us are on together.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #326 on: April 25, 2021, 07:39:18 AM »
Thanks, Ant. 

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #327 on: April 25, 2021, 05:22:45 PM »
One more piece has fallen nicely into place.  The Zoom MS-70CDR effects pedal has stereo ins and outs.  The Odysseys have single output jacks.  So, both Odysseys enter and exit the pedal and are equally effected by delay or whatever, but otherwise maintain their independence.  So, I get the effects from the pedal plus bi-timbrality from the two instruments.  Perfect! 

maxter

« Reply #328 on: April 30, 2021, 04:07:38 AM »
Congratulations, I didn't even know you were expecting twins!  ;)

I don't suppose this means you're not getting a 2600 as well?
If you do, be careful not to plunge down a rabbit hole!  ;D
Considering your good taste and creativity with modulations, it'd sure be interesting to hear what you could do with it...

And btw, nice demo, as always!
The Way the Truth and the Life

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #329 on: April 30, 2021, 05:59:43 AM »
Thanks, Maxter.  I just got tired of waiting for the Rev2 update and wanted something new and interesting in the music room to stir the musical blood.  And I've always been an Odyssey fan.  But you're right, the 2600 was on the top of my synthesizer wish list, but the price put it beyond my reach.  Otherwise I would have gotten two.  I don't think I'll go for Korg's forthcoming Mini version, though.  The full-sized sliders already make precision programming difficult enough, especially with tuning.  I've never liked the popular mini stuff - keyboards or controls. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 06:08:57 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #330 on: April 30, 2021, 10:13:09 AM »
Love 'em both   No mistaking the Arp sound in the second video especially. 

I find the value in having a couple manual tuning instruments- like with the Vermona MK2 and Pittsburgh modular.  There is something about those that just brings out a creative spirit differently, not to mention a very specific sound.  Makes me appreciate the early synth artists all the more too.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

maxter

« Reply #331 on: April 30, 2021, 01:02:13 PM »
Yeah, I got the B2600 (my apologies to all purists, I know I'm a heretic), and it's a tad fiddly occasionally with the "mini"-sliders with only 2,25 inches travel. But I found no other choice financially at the time really, if I'd ever want to experience a 2600. Didn't even know about the upcoming Korg mini version though. But woah, just had a look, those sliders are even tinier...  ??? And I'll never forget the MS20 mini... I liked it soundwise, but the knobs were so just ridiculously small and fiddly, and the mini-keys...  :-[ just couldn't live with it for very long. I'd really like to support them instead of... is it OK to use the B-word in here?

Been wanting an Odyssey as well for some time, but had to make a pick basically, and I'm pretty happy with the 2600 overall. But the versatility comes at a price, at least to me, and the Odyssey is like its opposite, more immediate and not too complex.

Sigh... I don't need another synth, I don't need another synth, I DON'T need another synth...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 01:03:47 PM by maxter »

jg666

« Reply #332 on: May 01, 2021, 01:55:31 AM »
@Sacred Synthesis - some very nice sounding stuff there with your twins :)

I always seem to forget that I've got the Arturia V Collection 7 on my PC and that includes their version of the ARP 2600. I do struggle to get motivated to use them though because of a couple of reasons

1) I find having to use a mouse to control them very awkward
2) I have the little Arturia Keystep Pro that I use with these software synths, and whilst it's OK for limited use, I'd prefer not to have to use it.

I was wondering if an Arturia Keylab 49 mk2 might be better for me because it has more keys and they aren't the slim variety. It also has knobs and sliders for controlling the synth which would mean the mouse wouldn't be needed so much.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #333 on: May 01, 2021, 02:57:22 PM »
I can't imagine having to design sounds using a bloody mouse.  Programming on the Odyssey is such an easy pleasure. so that I don't even like to use the word "program."  Words like "shape" or "mold" would be more fitting.  And I do find the slider to be preferable to the knob, since you never have to adjust the angle of your vision to locate the knob indicator. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 03:47:05 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

jg666

« Reply #334 on: May 01, 2021, 03:11:22 PM »
Yes I’ve been thinking and playing around on the PC more today and I think I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t enjoy having to use a mouse so probably won’t use it.

DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #335 on: May 01, 2021, 03:50:51 PM »
Didn't even know about the upcoming Korg mini version though. But woah, just had a look, those sliders are even tinier.

I would say the Korg ARP 2600 Mini would work as a studio instrument, but it just wouldn't be as enjoyable to use as a Full Size.  After being warmed up and then carefully tuned, it would be manageable.  I think it will be worth a look.  The price will be about $1,800?

I might just go ARP crazy in the mono synth department.  A 2600 babysitting the twins would be really nice.  I'll be thrilled if Korg continues with the ARP reissues, especially to an ARP Omni 2.  I'm not sure what it is, but I really love the ARP instruments, the way they sound and look.  I suppose it could include a touch of nostalgia, but it's much more than only that.

This will be my music room in three years:  :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23iByV38BtM
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 04:30:13 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

maxter

« Reply #336 on: May 01, 2021, 04:36:32 PM »
Woah, $1800 ??? I couldn't afford it. Don't wanna advertise for B, but their 2600 is like $650, with bigger sliders. JUST big enough to not be all too fiddly, tuning in particular.

I just can't stand when it's TOO small, like the MS20 mini, almost impossible to finetune, had to like "tap" the knob without turning it, and even then hope it wouldn't make too big of a "jump". In that regard, sliders are also definitely better.

Had to take a look, thought I perhaps misunderstood, and that the full size version was $1800, but it was the mini.

Even if I could afford it, I prefer rack-mountable modules when possible, as I like to use these rack-stands, hung upside down on wall-shelves about 6-7 feet high:
https://www.thomann.de/se/adam_hall_strs12u_rackstaender.htm

I have to be economic space-wise as well, not just $-wise, and this really helps. So even if I could afford a FS-2600, I hardly have room unless I can rack-mount it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 05:00:07 PM by maxter »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #337 on: May 01, 2021, 04:52:55 PM »
I agree.  The standard or full size is small enough.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #338 on: May 13, 2021, 07:42:46 AM »
At this point, I would give serious consideration to the forthcoming Korg ARP 2600 Mini.  I dislike the shrunken size, but ARP synthesizers now have me so infatuated that I think I might forgo the Rev2 for a 2600, presuming the latter's build quality is respectable.  This is a huge shift for me, having been a total DSI/Sequential guy all these years.  But I've decided that ARP completely owns my mono synth department, and that I really like the idea of having a dedicated monophonic instrument.  In other words, I'm thrilled with my long sought-after pair of ARP Odesseys, so that my mind is now headed in a new direction.  This is the result of having to wait three years now for the Rev2 to reach full maturity.  All that while, I've been staring at my Prophet '08 Keyboard/Module pair and thinking how satisfied I am and always have been with it. 

Along came the Odyssey with no window, no memory, no onboard effects, no sequencer or arpeggiator, and no operating system updates to await, one after the other.  Goodness gracious, the simplicity is spectacular.

I do hope and expect that the Rev2 gets its final OS update this summer.  But now I'm also a. enthusiastic ARP guy.  I'm a two-timer.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 08:04:00 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #339 on: May 13, 2021, 08:23:11 AM »
At this point, I would give serious consideration to the forthcoming Korg ARP 2600 Mini.  I dislike the shrunken size, but ARP synthesizers now have me so infatuated that I think I might forgo the Rev2 for a 2600, presuming the latter's build quality is respectable.  This is a huge shift for me, having been a total DSI/Sequential guy all these years.  But I've decided that ARP completely owns my mono synth department, and that I really like the idea of having a dedicated monophonic instrument.  In other words, I'm thrilled with my long sought-after pair of ARP Odesseys, so that my mind is now headed in a new direction.  This is the result of having to wait three years now for the Rev2 to reach full maturity.  All that while, I've been staring at my Prophet '08 Keyboard/Module pair and thinking how satisfied I am and always have been with it. 

Along came the Odyssey with no window, no memory, no onboard effects, no sequencer or arpeggiator, and no operating system updates to await, one after the other.  Goodness gracious, the simplicity is spectacular.

I do hope and expect that the Rev2 gets its final OS update this summer.  But now I'm also a. enthusiastic ARP guy.  I'm a two-timer.

I'm still tempted to get two Odyssey modules myself ad sequence them externally but I'm still intrigued with the Pro 3's versatility. I would have liked to have the ability to have each oscillator be run through each filter with it's own env so you could have multiple harmonic sequences going at once but it's still incredibly powerful the way it is.