One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth

dslsynth

Re: One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2016, 02:50:46 PM »
It would have been ideal if DSI had produced a Pro 2 module.

To me its a sign of a duophonic synthesizer with layers being more useful than a monophonic synthesizer and that Pro 2 would have benefited significantly from being a duophonic bi-timbral design rather than its current mono design.

From what I can understand from the sonicstate interview of Dave Smith at Superbooth the price of discrete machines are not all that higher compared to Curtis chip machines. So the nearly double price per voice of a Prophet-6 compared to the Prophet 12 is not entirely founded on component expenses alone.

I must say that I love the voice architecture features of a Pro 2 and hope to see more of that level of voice complexity in the future from DSI.

I have no idea if DSI intends to go this far, but it would make a fabulous combination.  That way, we could add as many oscillators as we wanted.

Yet Another Backseat Drivers Comment (TM): Please do not expect DSI to make a complete range of eurorack modules nor for them to produce the best sounding range of eurorack modules. Rather go shopping across multiple module manufacturers for the best possible sound and then combine that into a synthesizer of your choice. Such a system could very well have more than one filter and have stereo output. Its all up to you with your voice architecture design hat(s) on.

What DSI should do at some point is to use all of their digital voice control technology to make a preset/modulation manager module with plenty of pitch control, lfos, envelopes, modulation routings, sequencer and what else can be useful for digital control of analog voices and release that as an eurorack module with USB/MIDI and MIDI connections and at least 16 or 32 CV outs and possibly some CV ins as well. Such a module would allow one to make a voice architecture of ones own choice and have presets for it not to mention saving a lot of module space because the modules one need are mostly in the sound rather than modulation department.

Also it could be a great chance for DSI to make an even more complex voice architecture in module form. One of the things that current advanced DSI voice architectures miss are true audio rate modulation features in the CV domain such as lowpass/bandpass/highpass/slew and modulation with filtered noise (ref snowcrash comment on old forum where he mentioned that vintage instruments had pink, red or darker noise on its pitch channel).

There are many interesting options out there on the dreamy design spaces. In fact so many that it would be lovely if another visionary company with similar skill sets showed up on the synthesizer manufacturers arena.

. o O ( same old song )
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2016, 06:21:59 PM »
I'm not trying to be provocative, but most of the time it sounds as if you've already found what you're looking for.

Meaning what - the PEK and P'08?  Yes, it's true regarding polyphonic synthesis that I'm perfectly content with my current set up.  I'm only trying to enhance my sound with one exceptional mono instrument, that's all.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 08:09:32 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2016, 06:34:57 PM »
I'm not trying to be provocative, but most of the time it sounds as if you've already found what you're looking for.

Meaning?

Clearly he's talking about the fact that you should buy a Mopho SE.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2016, 06:39:58 PM »
Dslsynth -

If you read back over this thread, you'll see that most of my searching has been of non-DSI synthesizers.  We only just recently mentioned modular, and only in theory, but that's not the direction I intend to follow.  My current interests are in Oberheim, Doepfer, Hypersynth, MFB, and Vermona hardwired modules.  I've almost given up on Analogue Solutions.  It's simply that I need a DSI keyboard controlling whatever modules because only DSI offers the voice architecture I need.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 08:08:05 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2016, 06:43:22 PM »

Meaning?

Fighting...resisting...trying to forget.... :-\

« Reply #85 on: April 04, 2016, 09:15:42 AM »
Have you discounted the Modal 001 in your quest? There are frustratingly few demos of it out there but on paper it ticks a lot of your boxes.  Of course, it falls down on the keyboard length (as do most monos) but at least it looks like a good quality keybed and full size keys.

What caught my eye was the multi-timbral stacking possibilities.  Think it can be stacked in stereo or played duophonic. Interesting filter too by the looks of it.

« Reply #86 on: April 04, 2016, 09:36:34 AM »

Meaning?

Fighting...resisting...trying to forget.... :-\

I can play Dr. Freud and set you back on track.  ;D

Seriously, what I was referring to are some the features you've been mostly asking for that seem to be covered by the PEKs and the Prophet '08. The duo-timbrality of both and the true stereo signal path of the Evolver. The only advanced monosynth - or rather duophonic synth - that currently offers duo-timbrality is the 001 as far as I know, which is price wise in the same ballpark as the Pro 2. It also offers a stereo input for external devices, but no true stereo signal path though.

« Reply #87 on: April 04, 2016, 09:38:50 AM »
I just saw that Fuseball had the same thought. As usual, Nick Batt did a nice demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bI2kMXbeAgA

« Reply #88 on: April 04, 2016, 09:42:55 AM »
You could add something really advanced in terms of VCOs like the Schippmann CS-8: https://www.modulargrid.net/e/schippmann-cs-8-omega-phi-vco
Or: http://analoghaven.com/schippmann/cs-8seriesomega-phi/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 09:44:36 AM by Paul Dither »

dslsynth

« Reply #89 on: April 04, 2016, 10:06:46 AM »
If you read back over this thread, you'll see that most of my searching has been of non-DSI synthesizers.

Don't get me wrong, my old forum friend. All I wanted to make sure is that you did not expect DSI to make a full modular system including oscillators.

Now we are at it how about looking into these new modules once they becomes available? He is to the best of my knowledge known for his great sound:
https://youtu.be/AhAMcrHryOY?t=50s

The only advanced monosynth - or rather duophonic synth - that currently offers duo-timbrality is the 001 as far as I know, which is price wise in the same ballpark as the Pro 2.

Duophonic synths certainly have interesting options in the stereo signal path direction. Hope they will be the standard for the future.

Errr ... maybe ask Moog first though! ;)
#!/bin/sh

dslsynth

« Reply #90 on: April 04, 2016, 10:12:01 AM »
You could add something really advanced in terms of VCOs like the Schippmann CS-8:

Wow for an advanced VCO module. And way pricey too! But certainly looking interesting.
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #91 on: April 04, 2016, 10:39:19 AM »
Guys -

Thanks for all your ideas.  You've given me lots of help and many good suggestions, and I appreciate it.  Yes, the 001 looks very attractive, and I've considered all the Modal Electronics instruments.  I think my quest has worn me out a tad, though; I've got synth research fatigue.  It hasn't produced a clear direction, as I thought it would.  So, I probably need to make some mental adjustments.  My current set up has me quite satisfied, but I did want to add to it just one instrument with that classic old school analog sound.  It's been my intention for a while to complete my set up to a relatively satisfactory degree, and to devote more energy to composing and recording.  I'd like to spend much less time online and much more time on the actual instruments producing something like a finished musical product.

In terms of keyboard synths, I probably would have liked the Dominion 1 above the others, but it's not available or serviceable in the US.  In terms of modules, the Hypersynth Xenophone probably came the closest, but I'm not convinced it has a tone significantly better than the DSI stuff.  Nothing has really struck me clearly as being "the one," so I'll continue with this quest, but I'll take my time.  Who knows - perhaps it will all end with a Prophet-6 or OB-6!

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:01:53 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #92 on: April 04, 2016, 10:46:41 AM »
In terms of keyboard synths, I probably would have liked the Dominion 1 above the others, but it's not available or serviceable in the US.  In terms of modules, the Hypersynth Xenophone probably came the closest, but I'm not convinced it has a tone significantly better than the DSI stuff.  Nothing has really struck me clearly as being "the one," so I'll continue with this quest, but I'll take my time.

You know what? If you like the Dominion 1 so much, I would try to get in touch with MFB personally to see if you could order from them directly. I mean we are living in a globalized world so that really shouldn't be too difficult. Even if you decide not to go down that route in the end, you could just ask about the conditions and figure out how much it would cost you including customs and all that jazz.

Here's their contact: http://mfberlin.de/en/contact/

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2016, 10:56:44 AM »
Thanks, Paul.  I'll consider that.

dslsynth

« Reply #94 on: April 04, 2016, 11:45:11 AM »
I think my quest has worn me out a tad, though; I've got synth research fatigue.  It hasn't produced a clear direction, as I thought it would.  So, I probably need to make some mental adjustments.

Yeah I can imagine its quite exhausting to search for something when its not really in the market yet. I know that feeling too. Hopefully synthesizer manufacturers will finally see the light and opt for duophonic (rather than monophonic) instruments with strong fundamentals, layers and enough modulation to make them interesting. Really looking forward to follow your search here!

Also I would guess that a module is (hopefully) more likely to happen so be sure to check out for good keyboard controllers too. A foldable six octave version of this baby could be one interesting option (though they keys doesn't move much):
https://www.keithmcmillen.com/labs/k-board-pro-4/
#!/bin/sh

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »
A few weeks ago, I somewhat rearranged my crowded little music room, so that the Prophet '08 Module and Evolver Desktop on the music stand to my right are now to my left, in between the Poly Evolver Keyboard and the Prophet '08s.  I also put the Lexicon MX300, Poly Evolver Rack, and Mackie mixer to my left behind the PEK.  This new arrangement is much tidier, better organized for live use, and looks sharper in photographs.  But its main purpose was to free up entirely the area on my right side for a proposed new synthesizer, possibly the one I've so often posted about here, which would be an ongoing project.  Yes, a new synthesizer, still to be determined but now mostly funded.  This was my long-devised plan which was smoothly unfolding...at least until this past Saturday when a large deer at full gallop crashed into the passenger side of my car, possibly totaling it.  Guess where my $2,000 is now probably going? 

So close, I was sooo close to buying a new instrument!  I've always been a outdoorsy nature kind of guy - hiking, camping, and boating - but I'm presently very much in the mood for covering my keyboard stands with deer skin, and I may add large quantities of venison to my daily diet.  >:(
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 11:46:03 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2016, 10:07:50 AM »
That's terrible news. I'm glad you weren't injured.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2016, 10:09:14 AM »
Thanks, Chysn.  Aside from a neck ache, some minor head aches, and a terrible memory of it all, I'm fine.

« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2016, 10:19:26 AM »
A few weeks ago, I somewhat rearranged my crowded little music room, so that the Prophet '08 Module and Evolver Desktop on the music stand to my right are now to my left, in between the Poly Evolver Keyboard and the Prophet '08s.  I also put the Lexicon MX300, Poly Evolver Rack, and Mackie mixer to my left behind the PEK.  This new arrangement is much tidier, better organized for live use, and looks sharper in photographs.  But its main purpose was to free up entirely the area on my right side for a proposed new synthesizer, possibly the one I've so often posted about here, which would be an ongoing project.  Yes, a new synthesizer, still to be determined but mostly funded.  This was my long-devised plan which was smoothly unfolding...at least until this past Saturday when a large deer at full gallop crashed into the passenger side of my car, possibly totaling it.  Guess where my $2,000 is now probably going? 

So close, I was sooo close to buying a new instrument!  I've always been a outdoorsy nature guy, but I'm presently very much in the mood for covering my keyboard stands with deer skin, and I may add large quantities of venison to my daily diet.  >:(

Oh no, that sucks. Doesn't your insurance cover that sort of accidents, at least partially?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2016, 10:24:41 AM »
Yes, I should get something from my insurance, perhaps $1,000-$1,500.  But I may have to replace the car, rather than repair it, since it's a 2002.  This wasn't a part of the summer budget! 

I had $2,000 reserved for a new synthesizer (or some recording equipment), and I could also have added to this another $2,000 from the sale of one of my PEKs, if I was motivated to sell it.  But all of this is changed now.

I don't mean to be whining here about my personal affairs, but I thought I would post an interesting update to my quest.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:41:03 AM by Sacred Synthesis »