One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth

Sacred Synthesis

Re: One Man's Quest for the Perfect Mono Synth
« Reply #180 on: August 29, 2016, 01:10:28 PM »
Well I was just trying to maintain the synthesizer terminology.   ;D

dslsynth

« Reply #181 on: August 29, 2016, 01:14:09 PM »
User friendly interfaces are important for most noise making devices.

;)
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #182 on: August 29, 2016, 01:18:45 PM »
Hmmm, I think "instrument" is a more personable description than "device."

dslsynth

« Reply #183 on: August 29, 2016, 01:24:24 PM »
You could say so but think about classics as that box with just two buttons labeled "Nurse" and "Nuke". User interface design is certainly an intricate art which is why generative methods such as the above mentioned artifact produce far more interesting results!
#!/bin/sh
cp -f $0 $HOME/.signature

« Reply #184 on: August 29, 2016, 04:18:16 PM »

« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2016, 12:15:16 PM »
Any luck with finding a ready made solution ?
 I am leaning toward a custom modular.
 Has anyone considered the WMD/SSF Monolith?
 If I have to stay on a budget this might be an option, to begin monosynth creations.
Prophet-6, Korg M3,Petros Classical Guitar, Gibson ES 339, Blackstar HT20,Pigtronix PK, Cry Baby, Aqua Puss. Roland VS840GX.

« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2016, 12:39:25 PM »
How about a Dreadbox System? - Certainly on the rather expensive side, but well below a TVS Pro or a Model D.
http://www.dreadbox-fx.com/g-system/

Would also work well behind an assigned keyboard controller, or on a 2nd tier above a keyboard.

Sounds quite pleasing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVrt9mg1q24
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cc5t4nI79MY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfnYuobCiB4

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »
Any luck with finding a ready made solution ?
 If I have to stay on a budget this might be an option, to begin monosynth creations.

My quest taught me that I already have the instruments that best match my requirements and serve my musical needs.  So, I'm interested only in supplementing them.  Top on my list is the Korg ARP Odyssey Desktop, which I would control from either a PEK or a P'08.  I've thought of later getting a DSI Pro 2, combining it with two Odyssey Desktops, and making that my full-time mono synth.  It would certainly cover a wide range of analog and digital capabilities, not to mention have stereo depth.  It's an exciting combination to consider.  But for now, I'm considering only the Odyssey.  Who knows?  Maybe I ultimately won't like it as much as I expect.

« Reply #188 on: September 28, 2016, 01:10:47 PM »
Top on my list is the Korg ARP Odyssey Desktop, which I would control from either a PEK or a P'08.  I've thought of later getting a DSI Pro 2, combining it with two Odyssey Desktops, and making that my full-time mono synth.  It would certainly cover a wide range of analog and digital capabilities, not to mention have stereo depth.  It's an exciting combination to consider.  But for now, I'm considering only the Odyssey.  Who knows?  Maybe I ultimately won't like it as much as I expect.

How are you planning to combine the two Odysseys with the Pro 2? - I mean given that the latter has a mono input.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #189 on: September 28, 2016, 01:53:02 PM »
I mean by means of MIDI: Pro 2 MIDI Out to one Odyssey MIDI In, and Pro 2 MIDI Thru/Out 2 to the other Odyssey MIDI In.  It's how I'll do it with the P'08 and PEK as well.  Do you have bad news for me?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 01:54:49 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

« Reply #190 on: September 28, 2016, 01:58:18 PM »
I mean by means of MIDI: Pro 2 MIDI Out to one Odyssey MIDI In, and Pro 2 MIDI Thru/Out 2 to the other Odyssey MIDI In.  It's how I'll do it with the P'08 and PEK as well.  Do you have bad news for me?

I see. No, I first thought, you wanted to have both of their audio signals running through the Pro 2.

What version are you getting?

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #191 on: September 28, 2016, 02:06:08 PM »
Oh - processed through the Pro 2?  No.  As usual, I'm trying to create a three-legged monster.  I would get the Odyssey Rev III in black and orange.  That was my favorite years ago.  The white version is striking, but it has a toy-ish look to me.

Now wouldn't this combination make a fabulous instrument?

« Reply #192 on: September 28, 2016, 02:15:55 PM »
Oh - processed through the Pro 2?  No.  As usual, I'm trying to create a three-legged monster.  I would get the Odyssey Rev III in black and orange.  That was my favorite years ago.  The white version is striking, but it has a toy-ish look to me.

Now wouldn't this combination make a fabulous instrument?

Argh, I would have picked the white one (reminds me of 1960s science fiction), but then it's all just toys to me anyway.  ;)

Adjusting both Odysseys to get close to roughly the same sound for the left and right side will probably be a challenge at times. That's the only thing that would bother me. But once it's done, it'll probably sound really nice.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #193 on: September 28, 2016, 02:22:25 PM »
True, it will be a challenge at times.  But it's also multi-timbrality that interests me.  Plus, as you know, I don't use a wide variety of complex sounds, so it really wouldn't be that difficult.  Even a simple patch using one oscillator per Odyssey would sound beautiful in stereo.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 03:19:50 PM by Sacred Synthesis »

chysn

« Reply #194 on: September 28, 2016, 06:13:35 PM »

I don't have any WMD modules, but they're well-regarded. For a while I was attracted to the Monolith sort of form factor--a eurorack case with an integrated keyboard--specifically, the Waldorf KB37. My reservations about this sort of thing are (1) I don't think there's quite enough space, and (2) with a modular, you'll be playing it with the keyboard way less often than you think you will.

A modular system is a good way to go about the quest for the perfect monosynth, as long as your perfect monosynth doesn't need patch memory.
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

« Reply #195 on: September 29, 2016, 03:05:09 AM »
Do you have bad news for me?

There's only one bad news with regard to MIDI control: Although the module version is now capable of receiving pitch bend control via MIDI (revolutionary!!!), the rest of its MIDI implementation only covers note on and off messages. That means you won't even be able to control the modulation amount with an external mod wheel, which is especially cumbersome if you'd like to control two units simultaneously.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #196 on: September 30, 2016, 01:49:07 PM »
Right, but I meant regarding the Pro 2.  I'm aware of the Odyssey's limitations.  I would simply set the depth from the slider and leave it alone.

« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2016, 12:53:39 PM »

I don't have any WMD modules, but they're well-regarded. For a while I was attracted to the Monolith sort of form factor--a eurorack case with an integrated keyboard--specifically, the Waldorf KB37. My reservations about this sort of thing are (1) I don't think there's quite enough space, and (2) with a modular, you'll be playing it with the keyboard way less often than you think you will.

A modular system is a good way to go about the quest for the perfect monosynth, as long as your perfect monosynth doesn't need patch memory.
Very true
Prophet-6, Korg M3,Petros Classical Guitar, Gibson ES 339, Blackstar HT20,Pigtronix PK, Cry Baby, Aqua Puss. Roland VS840GX.

« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2016, 12:57:04 PM »
Right, but I meant regarding the Pro 2.  I'm aware of the Odyssey's limitations.  I would simply set the depth from the slider and leave it alone.
  I have been watching more Pro2 videos lately ...I will have to check out the Arp desktop, I think I there is a demo of the module combined with the keyboard version.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2016, 01:09:26 PM »
Yes, there is, but I didn't find that video helpful.  For all the wonderful musical four-oscillator bi-timbral stereo things that could have been done, it seemed to fall far short of the potential.  But I suppose the Knobcon environment was less than ideal for such a demo.  But surely some one will think of this combination.

I do think a Pro 2-Odyssey Desktop would make an exceptional pair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5ZSaAjjpVs