Orchestral samples

LoboLives

Orchestral samples
« on: September 24, 2019, 06:19:47 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has any orchestral samples that I may put in the Prophet X. Looking mostly for French horn and brass effects (flutter tongue, rips etc), suspenseful string tremelo, "psycho" esq scrapes as well as some orchestral percussion/incidental stuff like (harp runs, timpani hits and rolls, gongs, cymbal flams, snare rolls)

Really want to get into using the PX for more traditional orchestral scoring but not finding some of the sounds I'd require.

Re: Orchestral samples
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 07:23:17 PM »
I had hoped to see more of this kind of content, but I'm not aware of anyone who has offers Prophet X libraries along these lines just yet.  Your best bet is finding raw samples in order to roll your own from available WAV files (eg: https://www.philharmonia.co.uk/explore/sound_samples.)  If you do find a great source let me know!

Shaw

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 07:59:43 PM »
I did a quick search for "orchestral samples .wav" and didn't really find something I thought was worthy or reporting back on.

What about a Logic EXS Library?  Aren't those wave or aiff based?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 09:59:02 PM »
What about a Logic EXS Library?  Aren't those wave or aiff based?

They are a mix of both, so if you can find what you’re looking for there it might be a good bet.

Trivia: when writing PXToolkit I ran tests that tried to parse every single WAV and AIFF I had on my system, and since I had Logic installed that means they’re pretty well covered.  I think there were still a small handful of files that were so far from the specification that I didn’t wind up being able to parse them, but it literally came down to counting them on my fingers.  The vast majority were either fine or had some garden-variety quirks that I was able to recover from despite not being truly compliant with the spec.

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 03:05:49 PM »
Some of the sound examples I was looking into were some of the East West sounds and even some of the CAGE/CASE packs from 8Dio themselves...but honestly I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on VSTs just to sample them and import them into the PX.

Shaw

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 03:31:14 PM »
Some of the sound examples I was looking into were some of the East West sounds and even some of the CAGE/CASE packs from 8Dio themselves...but honestly I really don't want to spend a bunch of money on VSTs just to sample them and import them into the PX.
Some Logic / EXS sample libraries are not too expensive, and (I believe) you can just use the wav / aiff sample files (once you find what folder they are buried in) without having to "re-sample" them.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 03:35:54 PM »
Some Logic / EXS sample libraries are not too expensive, and (I believe) you can just use the wav / aiff sample files (once you find what folder they are buried in) without having to "re-sample" them.

I don't think they have the articulations I'm after though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0j7VA9ZeKQ