Suggestion to change the ridiculous security questions on this site?

As I am trying to log-in or just send a private message, I literally am having to search the internet for answers to some of these questions. Many of them are super broad and have multiple potential answers and one of them--what type of filter does the P-08 have?--is apparently unanswerable! (neither "cem, analog, lowpass, 4pole" worked).

Would be great to remove these, or if they really must remain, reduce to one question that can be easily answered without scouring the internet.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:45:32 PM by SRuff »

Shaw

Re: Suggestion to change the ridiculous security questions on this site?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »
cem, analog, lowpass, 4pole...

... they certainly don't work as typical security questions.
Curtis

They seem to work as intended.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 04:47:29 PM »

If their intention is to insure that every user on this site has a biographical knowledge of DSI and Dave Smith, then yes.

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 04:54:18 PM »
I’m not associated with Sequential in any way, but I think the purpose is to cut out spammers (bots and humans) by asking a question that 99% of the people on this forum know, but 99.999% of the general population don’t know.

You didn’t know.  Now you do.  Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of things.  Make good use of the forum.  There are lots of smart people on here who are generous enough with there time to help you learn just about anything you could possibly want to learn about your instrument.

Most of all, make friends, make music, and have fun.

Welcome to the forum.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

chysn

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 08:48:25 PM »
Asking about the Prophet-8 might be drifting to the anachronistic side these days. Basically, the idea is to keep web-crawling bots at bay, so the question can be super-simple like "What's the last name of the founder of Sequential?"
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 02:50:53 AM »
I'm sure the intention was to ask questions that synth-boffins will think are fun trivia.  And maybe encourage us to learn about some of the finer details of synth history.  I've yet to encounter a question, but from what I've read it reminds me of a quiz show I watch where the contestants have a "speciality subject".  Sometimes their answer is not word-perfect to what the host has on his card and are told they are wrong, like what has happened to SRuff with their answer of CEM, not Curtis.
 But in the show there is an adjudicator who will often correct the host and award the points.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 08:49:30 AM »
Curtis

If it's looking for "Curtis" and didn't accept "cem", it sounds like a flaw.

Incidentally, I don't remember encountering questions like this.  When do they appear?  I just tried logging back in and wasn't asked for more than username and password.

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 03:29:04 PM »
Curtis

If it's looking for "Curtis" and didn't accept "cem", it sounds like a flaw.

Incidentally, I don't remember encountering questions like this.  When do they appear?  I just tried logging back in and wasn't asked for more than username and password.

I had to answer these initially when registering, and now every time I tried to send a message to someone (which is the main reason I registered). It might be a new user thing or something, but it's pretty annoying to be quizzed like that when I'm just trying to send a simple communication to someone. The nature of the questions, stuff like "Who is the father of MIDI" feels more like some sort of strange ego bump for DS and co. while "how many modular modules does DSI make" just means I have to waste time searching for this info on the internet--I don't use Euro gear so why on Earth would I know this offhand?! Certainly exceeds what I would consider a normal security question.

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 04:53:07 PM »
every time I tried to send a message to someone
I've never used the messaging feature; maybe that's why I haven't seen this.
"Who is the father of MIDI"
Ikutaro Kakehashi : ;D

jg666

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 02:54:27 AM »
I only saw these when I initially registered. I don’t think I’ve ever messaged anyone direct on here so that’s why I’ve not seen them again. I did think it odd at the time having to answer some questions that I didn’t know the answer to without looking it up !
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 05:55:41 PM »
I had to answer these initially when registering, and now every time I tried to send a message to someone (which is the main reason I registered). It might be a new user thing or something...

You are correct. There is a public posts threshold you must pass before the security questions no longer appear for private messages. It's a spam-fighting measure that works quite well, and encourages public interaction for new users. You are only a few posts away from reaching the threshold so that security feature will disappear for you very soon.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM

chysn

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 07:26:35 PM »
"how many modular modules does DSI make" just means I have to waste time searching for this info on the internet

Hopefully it accepts both "zero" and "none."
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 02:39:02 AM »
"how many modular modules does DSI make" just means I have to waste time searching for this info on the internet

Hopefully it accepts both "zero" and "none."

Ah but there are two listed here: https://www.sequential.com/product-category/eurorack-modules/
And it's not under "legacy", but technically, DSI isn't around anymore also  ;)

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2019, 03:37:50 PM »
Hey gang, thanks for pointing out a couple outdated questions- they have been changed.
SEQUENTIAL | OBERHEIM