Great synth stuff.

Elric

• Peak Oil
Great synth stuff.
« on: April 19, 2022, 06:21:16 PM »
  Besides Tangerine Dream's "Tangram" being one of my favorite synth albums...
This guy (Ehsan Gelsi) has made another one of my favorite sets. (He's always good, but holy crap...)

If you haven't heard it, check it.
 - And, I'm sure the Moog System-55 is part of what makes it great...
Here is an Ehsan Gelsi set that I love...  "Big Nights In"

[edit:]
  Maybe I should add that he said that the rest of the synth tones here are coming from the Novation Summit. - Yes...  That "Novation". - The company which is owned by the company that now owns Sequential.
  So I'm hoping for good software updates now...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 07:49:36 PM by Elric »
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

Re: Great synth stuff.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 09:07:33 PM »
Thanks for posting this. It is fantastic. Ehsan Gelsi makes astonishingly fun music/art. My precisely planned evening is now gone and lost to having spent the evening watching (and listening to) this. But I am better off for it.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 03:21:35 AM »
I just ran across this HQ version of one of the original synth tunes... Mr Giorgio Moroder and Ms Donna Summer.
Had to post it...  12 inch version...  "I Feel Love", 1977...
(Check out the moments with just bass drum/synth!)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 03:27:30 AM by Elric »
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 11:14:48 AM »
I just ran across this HQ version of one of the original synth tunes... Mr Giorgio Moroder and Ms Donna Summer.

It was Gary Numan that clicked the switch for me and turned me into a musician, but I do remember hearing this song in a pizza joint in Mexico when I was a kid... the synths completely captivated me.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2022, 11:44:19 PM »

It was Gary Numan that clicked the switch for me and turned me into a musician, but I do remember hearing this song in a pizza joint in Mexico when I was a kid... the synths completely captivated me.

(I mentioned Tangram before, but I'll add, "Stratosfear" as another early influence (1976), but... )

When I bought the 45 single of "Cars" - I got "Asylum" on the flip side! Which was definitely an influence on me.
(Oberheim+piano?)

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 11:49:24 PM by Elric »

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2022, 02:10:50 AM »
The snappy George Duke lead on this track though!..
[Obviously analog tones!] - - Starts a little after 1:30...
(Not that the whole album isn't awesome synth stuff, with a hot violin lead... and ahem. anyway... )

« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 02:14:07 AM by Elric »

maxter

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2023, 10:42:41 AM »
I like your taste, Elric. Tangram is my favorite TD album as well. Anyhow, thought I'd share a couple swedish contributions more in the same synth-pop vein as the others above, that you might enjoy considering your taste. You already know the first one, which has quite a swedish-folksy synth-solo at the end. Don't worry about the lyrics of the second one being in swedish, just grab any pizza menu and you're fine.

The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2023, 11:41:08 AM »
I like your taste, Elric. Tangram is my favorite TD album as well. Anyhow, thought I'd share a couple swedish contributions more in the same synth-pop vein as the others above, that you might enjoy considering your taste. You already know the first one, which has quite a swedish-folksy synth-solo at the end. Don't worry about the lyrics of the second one being in swedish, just grab any pizza menu and you're fine.

Have to say how delighted I am to see ABBA pop up here! I'm a fairly recent convert, but when I got hooked, it was all in. My wife and I spent a weekend in a hotel in Reno listening to every ABBA album, in order. Astonishingly brilliant, perfect music. They're often treated as fluffy pop, but their lyrics were quite sensitive the human condition, aware of the subtleties and contradictions that we're all shaped by. And musically... untouchable. Hooks on top of hooks. The bass... the hi hat... nothing didn't contribute to an arrangement. So many wonderful synth moments amidst everything else.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2023, 02:42:56 PM »

ABBA...  not my style but, not bad I guess.

And Canelloni M...   well, sorry but, same....  too pop?
No offense!  --  I've got some dorky old pop songs I love too.

I usually like the weirder stuff.
so, um...   I'll throw this out..?   lol  ...

(There was a live version of this that I liked better, but I can't find it now.)

« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 02:49:35 PM by Elric »

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 03:08:50 PM »

Question: - Does anybody else think that NIN/Trent has gone shitty for decades now?
He really bores the shit out of me now.
(I hate "ambient". - Anybody can do that.)

maxter

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 03:21:28 PM »
Hmm, really. That Donna Summer tune gave me the impression that you like the synthy pop stuff. -As Manbird already noted, ABBAs compositions, arrangements and production are top notch, and hard to beat. You really don’t need to be a fan, or even like the music style, to appreciate it for what it is. Not my style either, but I can still appreciate stuff even as cheesy as Bonnie Tyler’s Holding out for a hero, for what it is. I’m not pretentious all the time, and to me these tunes have their place as fun and entertaining. Fabulous production and great synths on top don’t hurt.

Maybe I have a sweet tooth for synth driven tunes that aren’t labeled as synth music, as with the above. That could be an interesting thread of its own, songs and albums that are heavily synth-driven, but not categorized as such. Ian Anderson’s Walk into light, and Steve Miller Band’s Italian X-rays come to mind. Not that I think they’re ”great”, but interesting at the very least. Maybe later.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 03:34:36 PM »
I didn't say that I disliked it, just not my thing.

Let me see... what's my dorky analog pop synth stuff... - I'd rather go with ... (Probably age/era stuff)

Safety Dance?  lol...   
Don't You Want Me...

Oh...  and, not pop...  Genesis', "Second Home by the Sea"!!

========  And, back to *super* Great Synth Stuff  ========

...Have you ever heard Vangelis' soundtrack for the documentary, "Antarctica"?  <<  Holy $h!t
  --  It's half like a pretty version of Bladerunner! [same era])
  --  uh, Looks like it's not offiicially available write now?...
- I have have it on vinyl and CD

===========

{edit4} :

Safety Dance:

Don't You Want Me:

Er, one more, "Second Home by the Sea"...   <3

Sorry. Over doing it...   Shhhhh!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 04:18:47 PM by Elric »

maxter

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2023, 03:45:48 PM »

I hate "ambient". - Anybody can do that.

OK... Sorry, but I have to say I find that very presumptuous. And I’ll stop right there. No offense, all the best.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2023, 04:30:30 PM »
Hey Maxter, can we agree to ask to have my NIN critique and your response deleted from this thread?

Sorry we disagree, no offense at all. I just like up beat stuff!

-- But to keep this thread more on killer synth shit..

Admittedly MY FAULT!
(Hey admins?   Delete our my NIN/ambient inter-thread comments?)

Just this comment and my previous comment for me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 04:54:50 PM by Elric »

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2023, 01:51:05 AM »
Hey Maxter, can we agree to ask to have my NIN critique and your response deleted from this thread?

Sorry we disagree, no offense at all. I just like up beat stuff!

-- But to keep this thread more on killer synth shit..

Admittedly MY FAULT!
(Hey admins?   Delete our my NIN/ambient inter-thread comments?)

Just this comment and my previous comment for me.

btw just on NIN - they haven't only been doing 'ambient' stuff.. just one example of many:

« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2023, 02:38:26 PM »
  Besides Tangerine Dream's "Tangram" being one of my favorite synth albums...
This guy (Ehsan Gelsi) has made another one of my favorite sets. (He's always good, but holy crap...)

If you haven't heard it, check it.
 - And, I'm sure the Moog System-55 is part of what makes it great...
Here is an Ehsan Gelsi set that I love...  "Big Nights In"

[edit:]
  Maybe I should add that he said that the rest of the synth tones here are coming from the Novation Summit. - Yes...  That "Novation". - The company which is owned by the company that now owns Sequential.
  So I'm hoping for good software updates now...

I can play better than that guy without even advertizing for big Pharma.
Prophet 10, 0692
Ryzen 3900XT 12/24
Studio One
iPhone 5s Moog Model D via bluetooths of Reface Looper or Xkeys, Arturia Beatstep Pro w/Roland System 1m, Roland JP08, Roland TD17s as drums &->Prophet 10, Oxygen 8v2->Prophet, Akai Adv 25 or Launchey arps->Prophet10 or any all VSTs.

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2024, 03:28:18 AM »
So...

Just after he did the Blade Runner soundtrack, Vangelis did this soundtrack for a documentary called "Antarctica".
F'g amazing synth stuff!

Oh.. I already posted that...

so..  Here's a repost of a track that says it's not available anymore, above:  "Safety Dance"
(Oh, there's no good HQ versions of this?   :(    Oh well.)

Ahem!!  Don't get carried away now!

« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 04:01:56 AM by Elric »

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2024, 04:36:47 AM »

I still hate "Ambient"...  - Anybody can do that!   lol!

Have I posted this one yet?   - - Mason and Fenn, "Profiles"  Fkg excellent album!
Especially, "Mumbo Jumbo", "Zip Code" and "Black Ice"  ..  awesome!