Abeleton trigging Beat change on Tempest

DAN

Abeleton trigging Beat change on Tempest
« on: September 22, 2019, 04:09:12 AM »
Hi there,

I'm new to using Abeleton. I want it to change the beat on the tempest over MIDI when i launch the clips/ scenes. I know how to change patches on a Prophet 6 through using the prgm change function on abeleton... so i imagine its something similar to this?

Has anyone done this before or have any insight on it?

Thanks!

Re: Abeleton trigging Beat change on Tempest
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 12:34:36 AM »
Hi there,

I'm new to using Abeleton. I want it to change the beat on the tempest over MIDI when i launch the clips/ scenes. I know how to change patches on a Prophet 6 through using the prgm change function on abeleton... so i imagine its something similar to this?

Has anyone done this before or have any insight on it?

Thanks!

Not via Ableton but via other software.

It's really easy - just set 'remote pad play' (or whatever it's called) to 'beats' in the system MIDI settings menu and send the note applicable to the beat you want.

Think of it as hitting the pads whilst in '16 Beats' mode but doing it remotely.

The only slightly irritating thing is the timing - I found that if I did it right on the beat the Tempest wouldn't switch quite in time so you have to do it slightly before. And the fact you can't 'remote pad play' in '16 sounds' mode at the same time!

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Re: Abeleton trigging Beat change on Tempest
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 09:38:34 AM »
Yes you can. You will want to set up the midi sync to the tempest with at least 5ms adjustment in the midi settings of ableton. If you do not, the clips will launch on time, but the tempest wont see the command until late. If it sees the command late, your beat wont switch until it reaches the next beat late, or whatever setting you have the tempest on. I set mine to 'bar' and have the midi at 8ms ahead, allowing the scene switches in ableton to change the tempest on time. You CAN use pad play and beat play while doing this, the only caveat it you may hear the pad play that corresponds to the note you send to it from ableton. Not a big deal, as you hear a single strike and then the beat will change. You can also play the 'beat' mode while ableton is switching. Be cautious tho, as the tempest WILL hang on notes or freeze if you are doing a lot at the same time ableton is switching the beat. Ableton waits to send the beat change, if you have it set up to do so. I am working on a stupid live set idea that uses this very feature. The biggest issue is the damn clock drift. Im having to use the TEMPEST as the clock to sync ableton, as trying to play into the tempest as it drifts by clocking to ableton, is a damn nightmare. Remember to have a blank beat on the tempest, as when clocked to the daw or vice versa, you cant stop the tempest or itll stop the daw. Or if the daw is clock, you stop the tempest and it is damn tough to restart it on time while the daw is in motion. The fix is to have a clip saved and ready in ableton, to put the tempest on an empty beat, allowing the tempest to stay clocked but not produce any sound. With any luck, I'll have a youtube video soon, that utilizes some of these things.... lastly, try to monitor the tempest click AND the ableton click. If they arent right on top of each other, youll have a bad time making beats on the fly in the tempest. *shanesplanet
« Last Edit: September 26, 2019, 09:49:26 AM by Shanesplanet »