Pan spread function and 'failing notes' .. ?

Pan spread function and 'failing notes' .. ?
« on: September 19, 2019, 02:52:18 AM »
Hi there,

After missing the P08 a couple of years, I got one again .. and really loving it's sound and musicality!

The unit I got seems to be in perfect condition, but I wonder it there is an issue (or is it just normal behaviour of the P08...?). A lot of voices use the 'pan spread' function. When this function has a higher value (10 or 20+) there seems to be a problem with playing notes: 1 note gives sound, the second note is silent, note 3 gives sound, note 4 is silent, etc. This happens playaing a chord (from 6 notes only 3 are audible) and when playing notes one by one (only every second note can be heard ..)
When lowering the value to say 5, all notes play nice and natural. This happens playing a single voice, 1 layer, where you can use the 8 voice polyphony.
Is the pan spread a feature that you have to use only at low values (except when playing in unison mode)?
Anyone recognises this issue?

Thanks for comments about this subject!
Kind regards, Michael

jok3r

Re: Pan spread function and 'failing notes' .. ?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 05:11:43 AM »
Hi,

I don't have a P08, but I think it should be pretty similar to my Rev2.

Normally, if you turn Pan Spread up and continue to play single notes, you should them altering between the left and right channel of your monitors/headphones. If that is not the case, I would double check if you really put in the right cables to the right outputs of your synth. It happened to me once that I accidentially moved the cables one input to the right (or left, depends on the direction you're looking) and so I plugged on cable into the B outputs of my synth.

If you are lowering the pan spread value, you hear the voices again, because they are centered in the panorama and output to both channels.

In short: I think your listening to one channel only, for whatever reason ;-)

Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Re: Pan spread function and 'failing notes' .. ?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 06:50:39 AM »
Ai, feel like a fool ... checked the connections and it all works fine when I disconnected the P08 from my Boss Rev6 pedal. The pedal has 3 inputs and .. there the error was .. one cable not in the right input .. Anyway, problem solved! 😅