Letter to Santa Claus

laurentluigi

Letter to Santa Claus
« on: September 18, 2019, 06:07:59 AM »
Hello Santa Claus,
This year, i've been as wise as an image stuck on a wall.

I don't want anything else than a new OS Update for my Px ....

If you can add a little something about Granular synthesis, it will be just perfect ...

What do you think !?

Re: Letter to Santa Claus
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »
I can imagine lots of updates, large or small, that would be welcome additions.  The only changes I do know of that were in consideration would be welcome weren’t exactly dramatic, but I’m sure they’d be appreciated in any case.  What exactly winds up happening, and when, will make for an interesting surprise.

I suspect Sequential is very busily preparing for their next synth introduction, but I’m certain they’ll get back to the Prophet X in due course.

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 12:29:27 PM »
Something granular would’ve been nice. My personal wish would be MPE support. In my case my ProX would see a lot more use if I could play it with my Eigenharps. But I’m not complaining. It is a wonderful synth as is. :)

OceanMachine

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 03:26:41 PM »
All I want is the PX's super plate ported over to the P6 if possible. 

LoboLives

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 07:30:28 PM »
The only things I would really want are more 8Dio orchestral sample packs.

But as far as OS updates for the PX (and for the REV2 for that matter)...the ability to transpose the sequencer on the fly in unison patches like you now can with the P6 and OB6.

laurentluigi

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 04:21:44 AM »
Hi everyone,
After reading the topic about SSD change and useless samples....
I know, I say always the same thing...
Let's hope than after an hypothetic update, we going to have the chance to explore them differently.
It will be more than perfect.
There is so many things to do with the Px!!!!!

laurentluigi

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 05:49:34 AM »
And please ... give us a better job for the Xfade Rate ... !!!

laurentluigi

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 05:57:11 AM »
Why not .... it would be nice to have the LFO slew rate as modulation's destination.

laurentluigi

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 07:45:19 AM »
Hello everyone,

in our letter to Santa 'Dave' Claus, i would like to have your opinion about different wishes to add to the sample section. 
I had written for granular stuff but you guys, i'm sure, have a lot of good ideas to propose !

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 11:34:44 AM »
Hmmm.  I’m sure I’d have additional asks given some time to put together a comprehensive list, but offhand...
  • Smooth crossfading when modulating the loop position in a way that leaves the current playback location past the end of the loop.  Currently this yields an unmusical click regardless of crossfade settings.  I’d also appreciate “smart” loop movement to assist with this, where the loop is only relocated after playing through one cycle with the previous end point.
  • A new “wavetable” loop mode that moves loop start / end points by even multiples of the loop length.  This would enable scanning through wavetables consisting of a series of single-cycle waves, and would work nicely in conjunction with the first request.
  • Support the release portion of a sample, either following the loop or following a defined end point in unlooped samples.  This would require crossfading from current playback to the release portion, but it would enable sounds triggered on release for organs, pianos, etc.  An easier alternative that would burn two instruments for the same effect is allowing sample trigger on release and expecting a second instrument to be dedicated to release samples.

laurentluigi

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 04:06:09 AM »
Thanks LadyGaia,
You're still the One.
This "unmusical click" should be a priority.
Several times, it makes loose the essence of what i was going to do.

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 10:27:21 AM »
Yes please for granular modes with the samples + MPE support. 

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2019, 12:54:21 PM »
+1 on MPE support.  I think it was my first official request to Sequential, though I suspect it wouldn’t be the highest priority.

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 12:21:19 PM »
And related to using a separate controller (in another thread), MPE support would be great.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

laurentluigi

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 01:29:46 AM »

Good morning all,
could you tell us, for those who have the knowledge, what are the possibilities regarding a "maybe" next update.
By this I mean, from the resources of the machine what is possible to envisage?
Should we expect a radical change or an extension of what exists?
Is granular synthesis really possible (Quantum style)
Can an addition of the capabilities of the machine give new functions?
Lots of questions .... !!!!
I specify that they are only speculations on what could become this fantastic machine !!!
Dreaming is free ... let's abuse !

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 08:29:23 AM »
Any software project inevitably has many limiting factors.  Some that spring to mind are available time and expertise, competing priorities, usability, and hardware capabilities.

It's hard for anyone outside of Sequential to provide much accurate insight into any of these with the possible exception of usability.  The front panel of the Prophet X isn't going to change, and it's intentionally designed as largely knob-per-function.  So there are limits to how usable any new additions can be, and it's likely they won't stray terribly far from the initial concept.  I guess you could think of granular as a different type of looping mode, so let's give it a passing grade there.

As for available time and talent, Sequential has shown a pattern of returning to instruments to refresh them periodically during their production life, so I would hope that holds here.  We've seen one major update already, so I'm hopeful that we will see more to come when the work fits into their overall schedule.  Right now, I expect their focus is very much on whatever new instrument is next in the pipeline.

Priorities are just about impossible to guess.  I don't doubt they listen to feedback, so this thread almost certainly weighs in, but they also have direct requests from customers and the never-ending backlog of minor bugs that could be squashed.  I trust they'll put their time and effort where it seems likely to yield the best results, and know that being closer to the project than any of us gives them a broader perspective than any single customer.

On the hardware front it's very much a guessing game.  I would guess, however, that there's not a ton of computing power that isn't already spoken for.  The instrument is doing real-time transposition of a maximum of 32 looping stereo samples today.  It feels quite optimistic to hope that it would suddenly do eight times as much sample playback work to get a really basic form of granular (as originally conceived, granular synthesis was proposed as consisting of hundreds of granules - so the Quantum's eight granule approach is already pretty sparse.)  Perhaps lowering transposition quality could make something like this possible?  I couldn't say for certain, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2019, 01:01:04 PM »
+1 on the unmusical click!

I also love playing with the different algorithms for time stretch and pitchshifting you find on many DAWs.
You can get hundreds of different textures all based on one sample. It's huge. Wish I could do that also on my Px.

And one last little thing, find a way to display the name of the program you're about to write on when saving so that you don't overwrite you own programs. I don't remember all programs just on their numbers!

PS: Lady Gaia, thank you so much for PXToolkit! Already Christmas!

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2019, 01:59:03 PM »
And one last little thing, find a way to display the name of the program you're about to write on when saving so that you don't overwrite you own programs. I don't remember all programs just on their numbers!

Pretty please!  Yes, this would definitely be welcome.  Perhaps the display should change if you press Compare while in the midst deciding where to save?

PS: Lady Gaia, thank you so much for PXToolkit! Already Christmas!

I am delighted it’s working well for people, so thank you for letting me know you appreciate the work that went into it.