Will a Rev2 and a Pro2 a good team?

Will a Rev2 and a Pro2 a good team?
« on: September 15, 2019, 12:57:35 PM »
Hello from Berlin!
I’m totally new in the Sequential Club and just bought my first Hardware Synth since the 80s, that’s why I’m here...
I went for a second hand Pro2 and I’m really happy with it!

Because I like to stay away more and more from my Computer, Daws and VST’s I like to buy a second synth to compliment my Pro2.

I’m interested in Berlin School, Soundscapes and Ambient electronic music.

Yesterday someone offered me a Rev2 8voices for less than 1000.-€
I ask myself will it a good buy for me? Will the Rev2 and the Pro2 a good team?

I don’t want to buy another 3. Synth in the near future. So I want to make sure that the Rev2 is a good choice. I need to decide quickly to buy or not...

Thanks a lot for your advice and recommendations!
Cheers!

/edit:
May I need to add that I’m not an expert in synthesis but I’m ready and willing to learn!
I’m mainly a Guitarist...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 01:28:56 PM by Chandro Ji »
DSI Pro2, Prophet 12 and Prophet Rev2 Keyboards, Waldorf Blofeld, Elektron Analog Four, Digitone, Analog Four, Synthstrom Deluge, Roli Seaboard
iPad Pro, Auria Pro, FabFilters, Eventide Blackhole and more great music apps. :)

Re: Will a Rev2 and a Pro2 a good team?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 10:51:57 PM »
I only own the Rev 2 but I would think they’d compliment each other. There’s some overlap but many differences. The Rev2 has different filters, the gated sequencer, and obviously the generous polyphony whereas the Pro 2’s strengths are FM, waves, and dual filters. But since they are both Dave Smith machines they share design similarities that should make it easy to transfer knowledge from one machine to the other.

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 10:24:38 PM »
Comparison chart sets the Pro2 is the bass domain while the rev2 is a more generic poly
https://www.davesmithinstruments.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/DSI-Synth-Comparison-Chart-4.0.pdf
Hence they seem to complement each others. I acquired a subsequent with the same approach.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 05:29:36 AM »
I only own the Rev 2 but I would think they’d compliment each other. There’s some overlap but many differences. The Rev2 has different filters, the gated sequencer, and obviously the generous polyphony whereas the Pro 2’s strengths are FM, waves, and dual filters. But since they are both Dave Smith machines they share design similarities that should make it easy to transfer knowledge from one machine to the other.

Thanks a lot for your feedback @guyaguy!
In the last two days I checked many reviews, videos and forums to find out the Rev2 would be an ideal partner for my Pro2. Finally I bought the Rev2 yesterday and I couldn’t be happier with this purchase! 😊

The Rev2 sounds fantastic to my ears and yes, they have different strengths and the design similarities makes it easier for me to dive in the synth. I’m sure they will be a good team and both synths will compliment each other.

@Tugdual
Many thanks also for your comparison chart! 👍

DSI Pro2, Prophet 12 and Prophet Rev2 Keyboards, Waldorf Blofeld, Elektron Analog Four, Digitone, Analog Four, Synthstrom Deluge, Roli Seaboard
iPad Pro, Auria Pro, FabFilters, Eventide Blackhole and more great music apps. :)

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 06:05:13 AM »
It does! I own the rev2, pro2, tempest and prophet 12.  They all compliment one another very well.