Knob fail

Knob fail
« on: September 08, 2019, 02:57:46 PM »
Hello

I write from Argentina and I will try to make this message clear as possible.
I recently buy a Rev2 16voices and at first I didn't notice anything wrong.
This afternoon while I was improvising some ideas I realize that the one knob was having strange values on his rotation (Aux. Envelope-Attack).
Also I feel some kind of "click" inside the knob.
This knob started on a irregular value and finish on 51, which the correct may be 127...

It looks like the knob isn't correctly placed.
I uploaded the video to YouTube to show the deal.
I appreciate if you can help me fixing this.

Thanks
Alejandro
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 03:30:39 PM by Alejandro Damian »

Re: Knob fail
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 03:36:17 PM »
The best suggestion I can make is to contact Sequential support by email about it, because it is obviously not normal behavior.
Have you tried turning the unit off, wait a few seconds and turn it on again ?
Also, you might try switching Pot mode in the Global Menu (under item 20) from Jump, to Pass Thru and see if it changes anything for that knob ?

Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 04:27:54 PM »
The best suggestion I can make is to contact Sequential support by email about it, because it is obviously not normal behavior.
Also, you might try switching Pot mode in the Global Menu (under item 20) from Jump, to Pass Thru and see if it changes anything for that knob ?

I think it's something physical, when I rotate the knob I feel like some kind of "click" that any other knobs doesn't have similar at all.
Also I left the synth off and when I turn on this anomaly still there.
I just try your suggestion and it didn't change.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 04:51:11 PM by Alejandro Damian »

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 05:19:58 PM »

I think it's something physical, when I rotate the knob I feel like some kind of "click" that any other knobs doesn't have similar at all.
Also I left the synth off and when I turn on this anomaly still there.
I just try your suggestion and it didn't change.

I just understood what its happening, somebody place wrong the SHAFT, its cross!!!
When I rotate the knob on 0 degrees it's starts on 75 value, but when I pass 90° it goes to 0 value exactly on 180°. So.... if I'm correct the shaft of the knob must turn 180° to place itself on 0 value from start. Is this possible???
Can I take out manually just the axel/shaft of the envelope to put it back on the correct degrees that it must been???

I'm so disappointed, ita a new fresh gear and I have to manualy fix mechanical pieces.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 06:12:53 PM by Alejandro Damian »

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 06:24:58 PM »
Strange. I haven't seen that issue before on any DSI/Seq unit. I believe the pots and encoders are soldered to the PCB so I think you'll probably need to return it or have the board replaced. Probably best to write support then if needed figure out if you can swap out for a new one at the shop where you bought it or if you have to send it in.

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 09:45:14 PM »
The potentiometers are soldered into the printed circuit board, and the shaft is non removable.
From what I see in your video, the rotation of the knob is normal (from fully left to fully right), only the values are wrong. This might possibly indicate a failure inside the potentiometer (broken wiper, or carbon trace). Especially if you feel or hear a click along the travel of the knob (which is not normal).

The only way to find out for sure is to contact Sequential Support team by email, and let them sort it out. They're usually very good at resolving issues.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340