ASM Hydrasynth

LPF83

Re: ASM Hydrasynth
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2021, 12:11:40 PM »

I mean they could have extended the ribbon controller at least.

I've never owned a synth with a large ribbon like that so I'm not sure how much I'd use it.  I do find the touch slider on the Toraiz AS-1 useful since it has so few knobs, it allows some one-handed fun using the middle and ring fingers to work cutoff while tapping or sliding some other modulation destination with the thumb.

One omission from the deluxe version that surprised me is no sequencer.  Some of that space might have been used for real-time step editing, etc.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #41 on: September 17, 2021, 09:57:59 AM »

I mean they could have extended the ribbon controller at least.

One omission from the deluxe version that surprised me is no sequencer.  Some of that space might have been used for real-time step editing, etc.

Agreed
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

maxter

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2021, 10:01:41 AM »
Might that have been deliberate to ensure that patches made on earlier versions play the same? I haven’t played one so don’t know if the ribbon has a centre point or runs from zero on the left to maximum on the right. If the latter I guess a longer ribbon would mess up the scaling.

I don't think so. Even if it could be an issue, it'd be a minor one, with simple remedies. The OG Hydrasynth ribbon controller can be calibrated, and the "scale width" can be adjusted of course. I've mainly used Doepfer R2M until the Hydrasynth, but have dabbled a bit with the Korg Mono's and Softpot ribbons, 500mm and 1000mm (yes, about 3 feet long), and it was supereasy to adjust the scaling by changing the resistance. The space between semi-notes (high and low) always remained equal distance, no matter the scaling. The ribbon is basically just a variable resistor, like a rotary or slider potentiometer. But because it "floats" between voltage in and ground, when not touched, a gate can also be derived from the touch. There's apparently some added digital control on the Hydra though, as it can be calibrated, but that's just software...
The Way the Truth and the Life

LPF83

« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2021, 09:48:17 AM »
Good video from Tim Shoebridge here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOdq7QCXPoE
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

jg666

« Reply #44 on: October 03, 2021, 11:23:54 AM »
To be honest, I've yet to see a bad video from Tim :) I'm a big fan of his presentation style, knowledge of the products, playing ability..... the list goes on.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

maxter

« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2021, 10:23:08 AM »
Having had the Hydrasynth for a while now... I get continually blown away by it. The poly aftertouch is the best I've ever played on a "regular" keyboard, just SO sensitive and expressive. A big + is the aftertouch implementation, where you can set delay, fade in (attack) time and fade out (release), and sensitivity of course, for tweaking to fit any occasion. It brings new life to many old AT capable instruments, in my case the JV-2080, ASR-10 and Rev2.

One con(-) though... the keyboard lacks 'release velocity' capability, which surprised me. Not THAT big of a bummer, but release velocity would be nice. Apparently, they implemented it on the newer Hydras though, Explorer and Deluxe. While my JD-800 sends release velocity, it doesn't have poly AT, so...

Anyhow, the Mod Matrix is way too hard to keep track of on the Hydras screen, for me at least... so I've made an interface for the iPad app TBMS, to keep track of the Mod Matrix and Macro routings. I will post it here in a while.

« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2021, 03:11:23 PM »
Having had the Hydrasynth for a while now... I get continually blown away by it. The poly aftertouch is the best I've ever played on a "regular" keyboard, just SO sensitive and expressive. A big + is the aftertouch implementation, where you can set delay, fade in (attack) time and fade out (release), and sensitivity of course, for tweaking to fit any occasion. It brings new life to many old AT capable instruments, in my case the JV-2080, ASR-10 and Rev2.

One con(-) though... the keyboard lacks 'release velocity' capability, which surprised me. Not THAT big of a bummer, but release velocity would be nice. Apparently, they implemented it on the newer Hydras though, Explorer and Deluxe. While my JD-800 sends release velocity, it doesn't have poly AT, so...

Anyhow, the Mod Matrix is way too hard to keep track of on the Hydras screen, for me at least... so I've made an interface for the iPad app TBMS, to keep track of the Mod Matrix and Macro routings. I will post it here in a while.

Release velocity is implemented on the new Deluxe model, which I’m
looking at hard.

maxter

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2022, 07:46:42 AM »

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2022, 12:49:48 PM »
Thanks for posting this! I enjoyed that and probably wouldn't have seen it.
I'm still reading the manual and wrapping my head around this very powerful instrument.

maxter

« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2022, 07:49:00 AM »
This was fun, Starsky Carr delivers as usual:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVfDYaKz2XM

maxter

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2022, 08:02:30 PM »
The results... Quite interesting indeed. It's funny how some claim the Hydra is lacking in the bass department... compared with others (and this is without all the various boosting available), it seemingly kicks their asses here (pardon my french). And the rest, it sounds "cold, sterile" and the rest. Sometimes it isn't the equipment, but the user... Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-4WU8Mu_dI

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2023, 10:01:47 AM »
Right before they released the Deluxe model I had purchased a Hydrasynth. Just my luck.  Anyway...after a lot of consideration I finally decided to upgrade to the Deluxe model as I wanted more keys.  No way to hide it from the wife, as the box was so long that she had to help me carry it into the house ;D

I'm just so impressed with the design of this instrument.  Over two years of having the  standard model, never had an issue, easy OS updates and really good sound.   So off to FB marketplace to sell the older one.   

I should mention that they added more storage space, velocity off feature, and of course- the layers.    Three more user banks for single patches are included, and the multi patches have 3 of the 5 banks as user.   
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

Elric

• Peak Oil
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2023, 12:45:43 PM »
I should mention that they added more storage space, velocity off feature, and of course- the layers.    Three more user banks for single patches are included, and the multi patches have 3 of the 5 banks as user.

I really hope all new synths come with extra RAM...
(for both extra program storage AND extra memory for larger operating systems!)

Oh... and, all new synths, after 2020, there should be an included PC/computer/software Application,
for parameter control and program management...  [and no, I will not download your app!]
:Elric:
Kurzweil K, Pro3, TX81z, K1r, Triton w/MOSS, Wavestation EX in a bag in the corner.

maxter

« Reply #54 on: February 09, 2023, 10:10:47 AM »
Nice version.

There's not much this baby can't do

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2023, 05:55:47 AM »
After lots of experimenting, I'm now very happy with CS-80 Blade Runner Brass patches that I'm getting out of the HydraSynth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci1N6BWrbz4

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2023, 03:07:55 PM »
Lovely, Jason.  Very delicate and yet with a subtle brooding power.

I've always found that a leap from a high register to a low one with string chords created a dramatic effect all by itself behind the rest of the music.  You did this quite effectively at 1:09. 

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2023, 03:46:36 PM »
Thank you very much! I love the strings that I'm getting. When I play the VC-340, it is controlling both Prophet Rev2's, and so I have three analog instruments going into that string sound. I had ordered a Waldorf for strings but then cancelled the order as I listened to more videos. I've been conflicted about using some Behringer gear, (and especially bad about making the Prophets play so intimately with the Behringer via MIDI) but it proved too tempting for me. We shall see if I keep it. I was also not sure about the HydraSynth for quite a while (presets were as disappointing as ever), but the more I program it, the more I like it.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2023, 05:13:08 PM »
Aha!  I had thought to myself, "Egads, that little Behringer stringer sounds exceptional."     But no, it was the Rev 2 that is responsible for its warmth.  There, that makes sense.   8)

Jason

• Bandmix
« Reply #59 on: February 13, 2023, 06:28:22 AM »
Aha!  I had thought to myself, "Egads, that little Behringer stringer sounds exceptional."     But no, it was the Rev 2 that is responsible for its warmth.  There, that makes sense.   8)

The Prophets literally are giving it the warmer tones with a more closed filter. I'm going to make a video discussing the sounds and will likely compare and contrast the two string sounds. The Rev2 can sound very similar and more lush (especially in stereo) in certain ranges, but I couldn't get it to sound as much like a stringer in the upper range. I then closed the filter a bit on the Prophets and put them all together and could play them like that all day.