ASM Hydrasynth

Re: ASM Hydrasynth
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2020, 12:20:49 PM »
Is it just me, or is this VERY similar sound and architecturally to a Prophet 12?  I was interested in the Hydra at first blush, but the more I watch and hear, the more it seems too redundant to my P12, which I consider a lifetime purchase I will never part with.

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2020, 11:42:23 AM »
I have only had my hydrasynth for a week but for me so far it is pretty different to the P12.

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2020, 12:26:44 PM »
I have only had my hydrasynth for a week but for me so far it is pretty different to the P12.

Oh great, I was afraid someone might say that.   ;D

What do you find the main differences are so far?  What are your overall pros/cons with it after the first week?

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2020, 02:02:28 PM »
Well it’s early days but to me they just sound really different. The oscillators/mutant stuff gives a much larger palette of sound pre-filter. The HS seems to sound more fizzy/distorted in general, the P12 sounds smoother.

This has been mostly from playing the presets so far, when I get more in to programming it I will post some more info...

LPF83

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2021, 05:11:59 PM »
I picked one of these desktops up... for $800 I couldn't resist.  I guess we'll have to see how it ages, for now the build quality seems fine.

One of the first things I did was update the OS to 1.5.4 (it shipped with 1.5.2).  The updater utility is much slicker than loading sysex files via MIDIOX, it's a dedicated client you install, then you browse for the .dat file and load it in).

It sounds fantastic... much like the Prophet 12, that digital sound really finds its place in the mix.  The sound design possibilities are really vast.  I'm still getting accustomed to where everything is -- it's very intuitive as the reviews say, but due to the sheer number of options, it takes some getting used to where everything is. The filters are surprisingly good, and there's many to choose from.  It's nice to have so much control, for example being able to shape the curve on envelopes.

I'll go out on a limb and say that for those looking for flexibilty in sound design, interested in lots of depth, and possibilities for complex sound experimentation ....and, not wanting to spend a fortune this synth warrants a serious look.
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2021, 10:02:24 AM »
I'm only a month in, but I will tell you that I have not had this much fun with a synth since I got my PEK years ago.  I opted for the poly AT keyboard version- but that intent was mainly that I wanted that sliding strip- which I'm finding quite useful.  They really thought of everything I'm discovering (that is once you have version 1.5.4).  The price is extremely reasonable.   

I have not tried much "classic" sounds yet, but I would say that this raw sound reminds me perhaps like Pro 2/P12 engine(comparing to DSI stuff), yet still different.    Kind of hard for me to say just yet  whether this is grainer or anything like that.  There's a lot of filter combination options - so it's really where you set those up.  Most videos it seems to my ears always have filter open just a hair too much, not matter the instrument.  Stopped filter down on some preset pads and found some dreamy spots.
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

https://Soundcloud.com/wavescape-1

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 12:22:58 PM »
Still mind blowing to me that 100% digital synth doesn't have bi timbral split and layer capabilities.

LPF83

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 04:23:43 PM »
Still mind blowing to me that 100% digital synth doesn't have bi timbral split and layer capabilities.

Some of the free patch banks listed on their website were pre-installed on my synth (at least I hope that means they preload from factory and doesn't mean I was sold an open box item). ...
...One of them is called Apline split.  I have not dissected it to see how they did it, but it has two sounds split at middle C kind of a pad on the upper keyboard and a pulsey bass sound on the lower register.   I assume it was achieved by sending OSC1 and 2 to filter 1 and 2 separately in parallel mode and then scaling that across the keyboard, I have not yet dissected it to see how they did it.  However they did it, it just goes to show the vast possibilities with this synth.  I feel like its going to be one of legendary "discount Asian synths" like the DX7 was back in the day...  but even then Yamaha was already a respected name in music, this company seemingly came out of nowhere with this box.

In addition to the split possibility, some of the patches sound layered and will genuinely convince you they are two sounds playing at once, this synth has a lot of dimension to it.  Many of the sounds remind me of a Roland D50 and its multi programs.

And, on top of all that... $800!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:27:53 PM by LPF83 »
Prophet 10, OB-X8m, Prophet 6, OB-6, 3rd Wave, Prophet 12m, Prophet Rev2-16, Toraiz AS-1, Pro 2, Virus TI2, Moog SlimPhatty, Hydrasynth desktop, Korg Minilogue XDm, Roland JP-8080, Roland System-8, Roland SPD-SX SE / Octapad, Maschine, Cubase/Ableton/Akai MPC

LPF83

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 04:26:28 PM »
I'm only a month in, but I will tell you that I have not had this much fun with a synth since I got my PEK years ago.  I opted for the poly AT keyboard version- but that intent was mainly that I wanted that sliding strip- which I'm finding quite useful.  They really thought of everything I'm discovering (that is once you have version 1.5.4).  The price is extremely reasonable.   

I have not tried much "classic" sounds yet, but I would say that this raw sound reminds me perhaps like Pro 2/P12 engine(comparing to DSI stuff), yet still different.    Kind of hard for me to say just yet  whether this is grainer or anything like that.  There's a lot of filter combination options - so it's really where you set those up.  Most videos it seems to my ears always have filter open just a hair too much, not matter the instrument.  Stopped filter down on some preset pads and found some dreamy spots.

I can totally see how the ribbon would be fun on this synth.  I have not yet plugged an expression pedal into it but I suspect that will be fun too.   The pads on the desktop do poly after touch, I like them.  I would have been glad to have this synth in keyboard form, but the reality is I have no more room for any more keyboards.  I'm even not using one tier of a 4 tier stand, because I want unfettered access to the Prophet10 knobs and having anything on top would be in the way.

jg666

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2021, 02:41:28 AM »
Are there any indications that they will be adding a sequencer to this synth?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

LPF83

« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2021, 03:08:09 AM »

I haven't heard of plans to do so.  For me the lack of one is not a problem, I'm content to put Cubase in step sequence mode; DAWs are kind of the ultimate sequencer anyway due to ease of editing.  A sequencer would be a welcome addition though.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2021, 02:48:25 AM »
The Hydrasynth's LFOs can be set in step mode and synced to BPM. This allows you to create sequences up to 64 steps. It is even possible, with the SemiLock feature, to program each LFO "step" with actual offsets in semi tones. Really great feature and behaves like a simple sequencer. Of course you loose an LFO doing this.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2021, 10:27:50 AM »
LPF83,

yes I saw those "split" patches too.  Pretty cool.  I haven't looked yet either,  but I'm assuming your guess on how it is done is correct.

Lobo Lives,   

Digital or not, Bi-layer is not  going to happen on every new synth.  I notice that you mention that point a lot, but sometimes the other features are far the larger selling point.   I think on Hydrasynth it would only get in the way.   I do have that ability on the P12 and Summit, though I use it only seldom I'm finding on the Summit.  I suppose its because on the P12 its more straight forward.  Ideally all LED's on a bi layer synth should turn red in layer A and Blue in Layer B.  This way inadvertently screwing up the wrong layer is less common. 
Sequential/DSI Equipment: Poly Evolver Keyboard, Evolver desktop,   Pro-2, Pro-3, OB6, P-12,

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2021, 11:15:30 AM »
LPF83,

yes I saw those "split" patches too.  Pretty cool.  I haven't looked yet either,  but I'm assuming your guess on how it is done is correct.

Lobo Lives,   

Digital or not, Bi-layer is not  going to happen on every new synth.  I notice that you mention that point a lot, but sometimes the other features are far the larger selling point.   I think on Hydrasynth it would only get in the way.   I do have that ability on the P12 and Summit, though I use it only seldom I'm finding on the Summit.  I suppose its because on the P12 its more straight forward.  Ideally all LED's on a bi layer synth should turn red in layer A and Blue in Layer B.  This way inadvertently screwing up the wrong layer is less common.

Perhaps you are right. Saves me money I suppose.

LPF83

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2021, 06:48:34 PM »
So it looks like bi-timbral is happening on the new Hydrasynth Deluxe.  I like anything with that word on it.  Others might like to set standards, but I like to set deluxes.  Please forgive me for what I just did, and never hold me to it.

The Hydrasynth Explorer, with piano keys instead of pads might appeal to many and the price ($600!).. I first thought I might need to start recommending this over the desktop which I have, but then I saw the display and thought better of it.  I think those who are interested in the sound sculpting capability (which is one of the main draws of this synth IMHO), may enjoy the display of the desktop or higher.  I feel the wide display of the desktop when dealing with modulation sources, wave morphing etc. contributes a lot to the usability of the synth and why nobody complains of menu diving.

Seems to be really interesting times at the affordable/compact end of the spectrum.

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2021, 07:29:01 PM »
Hell of a lot of wasted panel space on that deluxe version

LPF83

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2021, 05:35:40 AM »

The target audience might be folks who want to also use it as a primary MIDI controller.  For a primary controller, I really appreciate having enough room for a smaller desktop module to sit atop the right side of the keyboard (my Toraiz AS-1 is utilizing that space now).  At the moment I'm still using an older Novation 61key controller which has some real estate on top -- whenever its time for replacement, having more space on top will be high on my wishlist... my current controller has a lot of sliders and buttons I don't need.  Something like the Virus Ti2 keyboard layout would be a good option for my workflow.

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2021, 09:43:46 AM »
Darn it!  I knew this "Deluxe"  was bound to happen being that I've only had my Hydrasynth for several months.  Guess I'll be selling it soon  ;)      I plan on getting this deluxe for sure,  love the way they lay things out with the color coding for the different layers.

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2021, 10:07:34 AM »

The target audience might be folks who want to also use it as a primary MIDI controller.  For a primary controller, I really appreciate having enough room for a smaller desktop module to sit atop the right side of the keyboard (my Toraiz AS-1 is utilizing that space now).  At the moment I'm still using an older Novation 61key controller which has some real estate on top -- whenever its time for replacement, having more space on top will be high on my wishlist... my current controller has a lot of sliders and buttons I don't need.  Something like the Virus Ti2 keyboard layout would be a good option for my workflow.

I mean they could have extended the ribbon controller at least.

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2021, 11:25:00 AM »

I mean they could have extended the ribbon controller at least.

Might that have been deliberate to ensure that patches made on earlier versions play the same? I haven’t played one so don’t know if the ribbon has a centre point or runs from zero on the left to maximum on the right. If the latter I guess a longer ribbon would mess up the scaling.