Local Control OFF for Keyboard only

Local Control OFF for Keyboard only
« on: August 30, 2019, 01:38:04 AM »
This is a post from 4 years ago I found on the P6 forum:

... So what I would love to see in a future update would be a partial *Local Ctrl* mode, where just the keyboard is detached from the synth, but the knobs and buttons are still "local on". Moog Voyager and Access Virus have this and it helps a lot to workaround MIDI issues ....

I totally agree and wanted to bump this.

The OB-6's keyboard is great. I'm using it all the time for all my synths, but still would like to have control over the OB-6's synth engine while doing that. A great addition to ON and OFF would be KEY - where the knobs/buttons don't send anything to Midi/Usb obviously and keep being in control of the synth.

This is really my only feature request, otherwise this OB-6 for me really is a damn fine great sounding instrument with all the right options and well tuned functions.

cheers!
-bernd

Re: Local Control OFF for Keyboard only
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2019, 01:46:41 PM »

... So what I would love to see in a future update would be a partial *Local Ctrl* mode, where just the keyboard is detached from the synth, but the knobs and buttons are still "local on". Moog Voyager and Access Virus have this and it helps a lot to workaround MIDI issues ....

The OB-6's keyboard is great. I'm using it all the time for all my synths, but still would like to have control over the OB-6's synth engine while doing that. A great addition to ON and OFF would be KEY - where the knobs/buttons don't send anything to Midi/Usb obviously and keep being in control of the synth.

This is really my only feature request, otherwise this OB-6 for me really is a damn fine great sounding instrument with all the right options and well tuned functions.

cheers!
-bernd
Yeah I totally agree with you. I also had this mind for a long time.

Regards,
Lowe

Kja

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2019, 07:48:04 PM »
It would be really cool if the added racheting to the sequencer too.. the increase plus holding note, increase, and decrease all have functions already but decrease while holding note could allow racheting..  like the amount of times you hit decrease while holding a note would be the amount of rachets in a step. That would be a great thing to add.

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 05:27:02 PM »
It would be really cool if the added racheting to the sequencer too..
Not familiar with "racheting" (ratcheting??) at all, could you point me to an example?

On the OT of OB-6 keyboard mapping...
I use MIDI-Ox (Windows only www.midiox.com FREE) for all of my MIDI routing needs. There is a nice function they provide which is a visual patchboard that shows the inputs and outputs of all attached MIDI devices (editable) that allows you to draw a virtual 'patchcord' to connect inputs to outputs.

I turn <Local OFF> on the OB-6 to use the keyboard and then I can map it to any other device I want graphically, including just pointing it back to the OB-6. You can also use channel # to switch the keyboard to various places (e.g. my OB-6 is channel 1, Nord is channel 2, MiniBrute is channel 3, etc...) and switch channels to change or set multiples on teh same channel if you want to 'stack' voices.

when I set <Local OFF>, all the knobs on my OB-6 continue to work, and in fact I can route an external sequencer in if I want and tweak the voices live.

...am I missing something?

You can do the same thing with a MOTU MIDI Express (or equivalent)...and I believe that Apple provides a similar functionality.
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

sofine

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 03:55:01 AM »
+1

cheers!
-bernd

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 11:10:01 AM »
+1 Local keys off only would be VERY useful

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2019, 01:08:36 PM »
+1 Local keys off only would be VERY useful

Yes, count me in!!

pfrf

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 10:28:57 AM »
I’d like to see this feature implemented as well.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2021, 10:50:34 AM »

A great addition to ON and OFF would be KEY - where the knobs/buttons don't send anything to Midi/Usb obviously and keep being in control of the synth.

cheers!
-bernd

Yes. I need that too. Even Minilogues do not disable knobs when local is set to off.