Any progress on the sample mapping utility?

Any progress on the sample mapping utility?
« on: August 28, 2019, 02:59:57 PM »
I know this may be a touchy subject by reading the locked topic from March. I see that there is still no round robin or velocity layers in the mapping utility. I don't want to start any bad blood but if anyone have info, positive or negative, I would be grateful

In the old thread Sequential informed that 8dio was responsible for creating the sample mapping utility, but speaking to 8dio support today they told me it was Sequential's issue to resolve.

Is there an unresolvable conflict regarding this or will we see progress? By only providing a basic mapping utility I lost my biggest use case for the Prophet X.

Re: Any progress on the sample mapping utility?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 03:42:16 PM »
I think that most of us have given up on Sequential or 8dio providing a useful sample mapping tool.

Use Lady Gaia's PXToolkit. It's awesome!

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 05:57:39 PM »
Thanks, @Erebus.  My work was a product of my own impatience and was only made possible thanks to Sequential being willing to document everything necessary.  PXToolkit is stable and quite feature rich, exposing everything the instrument is capable of as far as I’m aware.  There’s a sticky thread at the top of this forum with more information and download links.

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2019, 03:29:17 AM »
Thank you guys! This is very exciting news! I am really looking forward to trying your toolkit, Lady Gaia.

While I have you on the line, and since I see that you have added more options regarding sampla formats, etc - Is the limitation from the 8dio application of 128 samples and 1,5GB still valid?

Thanks again for this!

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 06:45:13 AM »
The 1.5GB limit per instrument is a limitation of the Prophet X, not just the sample preparation tool.  In terms of number of samples per instrument, however, PXToolkit allows every key to have up to 20 velocity layers, and each velocity layer can have 20 round robin samples.  Theoretically, an instrument could consist of 51,200 samples.

I haven’t tried anything quite that packed, but according to Sequential’s documentation it should be supported.  I have built instruments far in excess of 128 samples and they work just fine.

Shaw

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »
The 1.5GB limit per instrument is a limitation of the Prophet X, not just the sample preparation tool.  In terms of number of samples per instrument, however, PXToolkit allows every key to have up to 20 velocity layers, and each velocity layer can have 20 round robin samples.  Theoretically, an instrument could consist of 51,200 samples.

I haven’t tried anything quite that packed, but according to Sequential’s documentation it should be supported.  I have built instruments far in excess of 128 samples and they work just fine.
Some of the Deckard’s Dream sample instruments (which were put together using Lady Gaia’s PXToolkit) were north of 300 samples per instrument.  No issues at all.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 02:57:39 PM »
Dave said you could pretty much sample an entire album for one sample slot Lol

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 03:43:09 PM »

Much more than your average album!  Given the Prophet X's 48kHz 16-bit sample format, you can have just shy of 140 minutes of audio in a single instrument.  Of course you can load four instruments at once (two per layer, with two layers in a preset), so if you don't mind pressing a new key every few hours you can play back about nine hours and twenty minutes of continuous unique sampled audio without changing presets.

... and that's before you start looping content with different lengths, applying various synthesis techniques, etc.  There's a lot of room to grow into and explore the synth, even if it doesn't have every feature under the sun.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 08:03:42 PM »

And they showed that at NAMM 2019. There's a little bit of passing the album sample through filters here (that particular Prophet XL is in my studio, now): https://youtu.be/lGez_3jqgCI?t=185

Dave had done a more interesting demo of using the album sample to quickly change the sample loop start/center/end of a small section with sample stretch to create a new sound quickly that no longer felt like it came from the album, in a good way. But, I couldn't quickly find a video of that demo.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 08:32:35 PM »

And they showed that at NAMM 2019. There's a little bit of passing the album sample through filters here (that particular Prophet XL is in my studio, now): https://youtu.be/lGez_3jqgCI?t=185

Dave had done a more interesting demo of using the album sample to quickly change the sample loop start/center/end of a small section with sample stretch to create a new sound quickly that no longer felt like it came from the album, in a good way. But, I couldn't quickly find a video of that demo.

I was thinking of doing something similar. I was going to take some clips and tracks from composers like Bernard Herrmann and Lalo Schiffrin and chop them up and manipulate them where the tracks are completely unrecognizable....still...I really want that "Psycho Shower Strings" sample. LOL

It would be interesting also to sample some old jazz records and assign them to each key and put them on a fast sequence...it would be so bizarre it could be a new form of Jazz. haha