Misc Params > Program Volume (Default 127) - Reason for Harsh/Distortion issues

Wanted to share my first experience with this synth.
I purchased the Rev 2 to fit in with my Mix of VirusTI2/Prologue16/Wavestation EX/Nova/CP70.
Of course been wanting a DSI Prophet forever and took the plunge. Gorgeous Instrument.
Got it home and immediately was underwhelmed, the Harsh sound was hard to dial in, and the synch sounded distorted at certain parts within the sound or group of sounds.  Didn't sit nice into my mix, was about to send it back but wanted a few more days with it.
The onboard effects were not good enough, lackluster, so I hooked up to an Eventide Space and DD500. Wow started sounding much better in my mix.
However the Harshness was still there in form of distorted levels throughout the presets, especially pads or evolving.
Bought a soundest from AnalogAudio1 "Prophet Classics" and was instantly happy with what I purchased. Could feel these sound sets. (DSI you should pay that guy to build your presets)

However, the issues still remained with the distorted harsh tones at time.
I started to edit the Misc Program > Program Volume for both A & B layers.
Took these down to either 75 or 90 depending on sound.
Instantly I could feel certain ambiance appear in my mids and lows. Sound wasn't distorting and nowhere near as harsh.

Not sure why the program Volume is by default at 127.
Also I guess the Layer A/B is why this param exists.
But newbs if you have this synth do yourself a favor and dial this back.
I am sure a few of these synths have been returned because of this default 127 level and the distortion attached to overdriving this through your speakers.
FYI My interface/monitors I am playing through is Apollo Twin MK2 Quad into Presonus Sceptre 8's.
Normally don't have issues like these with my setup.

Would love the ability to globally set this. Next Update should take all presets to 90. IMO

Wanted to share this hope it helps. Keep the synth, download that AA! Prophet Classic Soundest, turn off stock effects and hook up to Delay/Reverb/Chorus preferably with Midi sync.
It will for sure stand out in your set up. The Curtis filters go very well with lush Shimmer and Reverb.

I didn’t have this issue concerning the volume at all. I assume you adjusted the gain on the receiving end of the signal and aren’t using the headphone output? Also have you calibrated the synth (I’d say updated, but I had it about as close to release day as possible without being local to its production and I never had this issue)?

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
No such problem here either, actually all of my banks presets are usually set at 127, unless they get too loud compared to the other presets... but even when at 127, these do not distort, they just sound loud... in fact I'd have liked the output to be a little bit hotter than it actually is, since many sounds end up being a bit lower in volume, compared to my other synths.

Could it be, that you are actually distorting the REV2 output on your soundcard's input? ... that would certainly explain why it goes away when you dial back on the volume parameter. Maybe your soundcards input are configured for consumer levels and not pro audio levels (+4dB) ?

With that said, some presets certainly can distort, and i believe that is even mentioned in the manual, especially with high resonances... sometimes the FX engine can also distort if the sound is too loud, but it's very rare that I've run into this.

And another thing; have you successfully calibrated your REV2? ... it might be worth a shot calibrating it from the global menu... just remember to let the REV2 warm up for about an hour before you perform the calibration so that it is calibrated at working temperature.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

jok3r

in fact I'd have liked the output to be a little bit hotter than it actually is, since many sounds end up being a bit lower in volume, compared to my other synths.

Same here. The Rev2 seems to be a relative quiet synth. If you are really really sure, that it‘s the Rev2 where the distortion comes from (after you did every calibration routine and update), you should contact the DSI support directly.
Prophet Rev2, Moog Matriarch, Novation Peak, Arturia DrumBrute Impact, Korg Kronos 2 88, Kurzweil PC 361, Yamaha S90ES

Could it be, that you are actually distorting the REV2 output on your soundcard's input? ... that would certainly explain why it goes away when you dial back on the volume parameter. Maybe your soundcards input are configured for consumer levels and not pro audio levels (+4dB) ?
I had wondered that too, but I looked at the manual for OP's interface yesterday, and it is designed for +4dBu reference, with a max input of +20.2 dBu which should be enough. (On my interface, I have actually put the switchable inputs on their -10 dBv setting on occasion when recording from really quiet monophonic patches.)
With that said, some presets certainly can distort, and i believe that is even mentioned in the manual, especially with high resonances... sometimes the FX engine can also distort if the sound is too loud, but it's very rare that I've run into this.
I've also gotten some distortion using unison mode to stack a lot of voices, or when playing a lot of voices with the hold engaged by pedal or button.

Of course, there's no need to globally change the Program Volume parameter on all patches.  The MASTER VOLUME knob does that  ;)