Question about the SoundTower editor

Question about the SoundTower editor
« on: July 31, 2019, 09:40:29 AM »
Hi All,

Can anyone verify what the limitation of the demo version is for the SoundTower Rev2 Sound Editor? Is it the fact that it will not actually connect to the unit and is locked to off-line mode only? Mine is in off-line mode and I can't seem to get it to see it, and as there isn't a menu option for this, I'm wondering if that is the limitation of the demo? I can't see this info on their website and they haven't responded to my email, but I do want to buy it, however I'm reluctant to pull the trigger if for some reason it won't work on my system.

Any pointers hugely appreciated :-)

Greg

Re: Question about the SoundTower editor
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 05:26:15 AM »
Greg,

I went through a similar thing, installed the demo, and had some type of connectivity issue.  I don't recall _exactly_ what it was, but the application would not actually control the unit.  I did end up purchasing the software, and though it took a bit to get it going, it does work well for me. 

I'm on Windows 10, connected via USB.  I also use the Soundtower VST via midi in Cubase. 

-Michael

jg666

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 05:50:13 AM »
If memory serves me right I was the same with the demo version but can’t remember. I might have posted a question on here about it a couple of years ago
When I bought the software I had no issues at all.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 09:06:21 AM »
The demo should let you connect as I recall.    Check your DAW settings and make sure that you're not connecting to the Rev2 through the DAW - That is one common setup issue.   The Rev2 can only be connected to one "application" at a time, so you have to disable in/out connections to the Rev2 in your DAW.   (Note: there are workarounds to this if you have an advanced MIDI interface / MIDI router)

Also, In the Rev2 Globals Settings:
MIDI Sysex Enable: ON
MIDI Sysex Cable: USB
MIDI Out: USB
MIDI Controller Enable: ON
MIDI Parameter Send: NRPN
MIDI Parameter Receive: NRPN

Soundtower Editor > MIDI > Midi Setup:
Make sure you have Rev2 selected for both MIDI IN and MIDI OUT ports in.

OB-X8, Pro 3, P6, Rev2, Take 5, 3rd Wave, Deepmind, PolyBrute, Sub 37
Sound Sets:
https://sounddesign.sellfy.store/
Free Patches:
https://www.PresetPatch.com/user/CreativeSpiral

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 04:33:24 AM »
Thank you for the advice - it worked, I had my  MIDI Parameter send and recieves set to MIDI, and hand't found the MIDI page so had not configured the in/outs either. It works now, although I couldn't get it to programme the gated sequencer (the thing I most wanted it for) and the on-screen controls had a sluggish, jerky response. I'm assuming this is a confict somewhere with how I have things set up at the moment. I'm using a hardware-only setup with MIDI DINs, so in this situation it's not as useful as I hoped it might be because of having to switch to NPRN for control data, which then which prevents the external controller I'm also using from working. I'll persevere however, thanks again.

g