REV2 and Multimode

REV2 and Multimode
« on: July 26, 2019, 02:43:59 AM »
I've received my rev2 expansion so I have 16 voice at my disposal.
This gives me the possibility to use multi more often as well.

Anyone uses multimode a lot? Special recommendations, tricks, flaws I need to know about?

Thanks

Ron

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Re: REV2 and Multimode
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 12:42:26 PM »

Anyone uses multimode a lot? Special recommendations, tricks, flaws I need to know about?

Thanks

Ron
I (practically) only use multimode and till recently haven't missed the extra polyphony of my 8 voice Rev2. For me it is more important to have variation and extra sound textures, effectively using the Rev2 as two independent synths.

I have all 4 outputs individually connected to my Zed428 and can route each layer pairs to different external effect boxes. In some cases even using multiple effect units at the same time in parallel or serial. This works wonders for pitch shifting and/or adding TC Electronic's Classic Hall reverb (love that one!). Also I use my Boss RV-500 quite a lot on the Rev2.

I mainly create my own patches and because of that haven't really be hampered by the 4 voice limit. Mind you a few weeks ago I did purchase and loaded Creativespiral's (see https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3449.0.html) voice component modeling based patches. Several of his (excellent!) patches use dual layering with one layer hard panned left (using DC modulation) and the other layer hard panned right. This works fine when multimode is switched off and the patches are played from the keyboard or over the base MIDI channel. But when I use multimode and address the layers individually, through the base and base+1 MIDI channels, both layers are sent to the same side in the stereo field ........

This is easily fixed by changing the modulation value to the same polarity (both positive / both negative) for the DC source to pan when in multimode. But when I switch the Rev2 back to "normal"  mode and play the patch layered as intended, the panning for both goes to the same side, the great stereo effect is lost. I haven't figured out yet if this is a bug (in the patches or the Rev2) or working as intended. The same thing happens when I use a different (Soundcraft) mixer.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Re: REV2 and Multimode
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 01:56:47 AM »

Thanks

Ron
I (practically) only use multimode and till recently haven't missed the extra polyphony of my 8 voice Rev2. For me it is more important to have variation and extra sound textures, effectively using the Rev2 as two independent synths.

I have all 4 outputs individually connected to my Zed428 and can route each layer pairs to different external effect boxes. In some cases even using multiple effect units at the same time in parallel or serial. This works wonders for pitch shifting and/or adding TC Electronic's Classic Hall reverb (love that one!). Also I use my Boss RV-500 quite a lot on the Rev2.

I mainly create my own patches and because of that haven't really be hampered by the 4 voice limit. Mind you a few weeks ago I did purchase and loaded Creativespiral's (see https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3449.0.html) voice component modeling based patches. Several of his (excellent!) patches use dual layering with one layer hard panned left (using DC modulation) and the other layer hard panned right. This works fine when multimode is switched off and the patches are played from the keyboard or over the base MIDI channel. But when I use multimode and address the layers individually, through the base and base+1 MIDI channels, both layers are sent to the same side in the stereo field ........

This is easily fixed by changing the modulation value to the same polarity (both positive / both negative) for the DC source to pan when in multimode. But when I switch the Rev2 back to "normal"  mode and play the patch layered as intended, the panning for both goes to the same side, the great stereo effect is lost. I haven't figured out yet if this is a bug (in the patches or the Rev2) or working as intended. The same thing happens when I use a different (Soundcraft) mixer.

Thank you Gerry!!

I too like the multi mode the best. For exactly the same reasons too. I do use the 2 stereo outputs as well.
I only have 1 hardware effect unit (RV-500) but I mostly use several Valhalla plugins in Cubase. I think they beat a lot of hardware effect boxes (which are all digital anyway).

To me it seems that the patches you use from CreativeSpiral should only be changed by swapping A and B layer and save it to another patch. You then use the original patch for Layer A and the other for layer B. I haven't bought them myself but he gave me a few examples. I do use his concept all over the place now.

I do not record a lot. I mostly use play around with sounds, sequences and arpeggiators played live. This way I can already hear the benefits of having 16 voices. Mind you, I only have the REV2 and a Sub Phatty so I'm a bit limited. I do own quite some plug-in synths too but I mostly play the hardware synths.