Since a lot of companies are doing reissues..

LoboLives

Re: Since a lot of companies are doing reissues..
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 03:13:52 AM »
The Quadra had its quirks though. And most current synths give you the option to use them as a mono synth, a poly synth, and if they allow for two or more layers, different arpeggios or sequences at the same time. I always felt that if you heard one demo of the Quadra you've heard them all. It's basically like a string machine and an Odyssey squashed under one roof.

No, I think we had enough reissues thus far. It's time for the companies to move on. To be honest, after the last NAMM was over, I was more glad to see Korg doing the minilogue rather than a rumoured about 2600 reissue. Sure, the latter would have been great to some degree, but at the same time I think it's more important to get out of this time loop called retromania. And with the minilogue, Korg shows in what direction they could potentially move when it comes to full sized instruments.

Again, as I just said above, I'm saying taking the idea of the Quadra with the 4 zones on a single analog synth. As far as I know the Prophet 8, Prophet 12, Andromeda, Model 008 and 002 and the Schmidt can only do two splits OR two layers but not four at once.

I think it's kind of silly that older gear had features that newer gear doesn't and people don't even consider putting in. For example the old sequencers on the Prophet 10 had a transpose button that when off you could play over top of the sequence or when clicked on you could transpose on the fly with one hand. Could they not have included this on the Prophet 6 or OB6 as opposed to having to hold down the Record button to transpose?

So why not take the idea of what is essentially a analog workstation with the ability to have 4 splits and create something new. It doesn't have to be a reissue but just an alternative to another Prophet.

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2016, 06:28:03 AM »
It doesn't make a lot of sense to re-issue a multi-function keyboard that adequately covered maybe one or two functions, but handled others with a significant amount of compromise. Yes, the ARP Quadra looks the part, but what it really needs is an Arduino update (along the lines of the KiwiTechnics stuff) with sample & hold functionality that gives you full slider recall, MIDI, etc.

We forget quite often, unfortunately, that the available microprocessors of thirty-five, forty years ago were expensive and complicated to program, and required enough support silicon to make products such as the Prophet 5 much more pricey than their modern equivalents. IMHO there is enough of a market for re-casting existing, already-manufactured synths with updated capabilities / new features, using hobbyist hardware that can be easily maintained.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2016, 06:38:47 AM »
It doesn't make a lot of sense to re-issue a multi-function keyboard that adequately covered maybe one or two functions, but handled others with a significant amount of compromise. Yes, the ARP Quadra looks the part, but what it really needs is an Arduino update (along the lines of the KiwiTechnics stuff) with sample & hold functionality that gives you full slider recall, MIDI, etc.

We forget quite often, unfortunately, that the available microprocessors of thirty-five, forty years ago were expensive and complicated to program, and required enough support silicon to make products such as the Prophet 5 much more pricey than their modern equivalents. IMHO there is enough of a market for re-casting existing, already-manufactured synths with updated capabilities / new features, using hobbyist hardware that can be easily maintained.

Couldn't agree more.

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 11:43:41 AM »

Again as I just stated. I'm saying take the concept of the Quadra and improving on it and creating an analog synth with 4 splits/layer capabilities. You say you can re-cast existing synths with hobbyist hardware? Please point me in a direction in which I can modify a DSI instrument.

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2016, 12:10:40 PM »
Again as I just stated. I'm saying take the concept of the Quadra and improving on it and creating an analog synth with 4 splits/layer capabilities. You say you can re-cast existing synths with hobbyist hardware? Please point me in a direction in which I can modify a DSI instrument.

Well, the Quadra is kind of a weird instrument. As is was partially a preset synth (especially the bass and string sections), it could be described as a very primitive attempt at a sort of workstation. Clearly the most programmable sections are its lead and poly engine. Also, its memory patches were very limited. As far as I know you still had to adjust the sliders. In terms of programmability and patch memory I don't really see what makes this synth attractive. It may sound good, but it lacks some functionality. I also wonder, how many sounds you would layer without making it sound too muddy. (How many sounds on an analog poly synth do you usually need to layer?) As for the splitting, I thing that only works with the bass and lead sections (lower and upper half of the keyboard), so that is not too special either. In practice, I can't really see how it should be superior to a synth that "only" offers 2 different layers. And if you would really try to go for an updated version it had to be 4 times multi-timbral and offer four synth engines, which would also make it pretty expensive.

LoboLives

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2016, 04:08:51 PM »

Well, the Quadra is kind of a weird instrument. As is was partially a preset synth (especially the bass and string sections), it could be described as a very primitive attempt at a sort of workstation. Clearly the most programmable sections are its lead and poly engine. Also, its memory patches were very limited. As far as I know you still had to adjust the sliders. In terms of programmability and patch memory I don't really see what makes this synth attractive. It may sound good, but it lacks some functionality. I also wonder, how many sounds you would layer without making it sound too muddy. (How many sounds on an analog poly synth do you usually need to layer?) As for the splitting, I thing that only works with the bass and lead sections (lower and upper half of the keyboard), so that is not too special either. In practice, I can't really see how it should be superior to a synth that "only" offers 2 different layers. And if you would really try to go for an updated version it had to be 4 times multi-timbral and offer four synth engines, which would also make it pretty expensive.

I guess an analog workstation would be something Id be after.  Honestly compared to the prices of some synths out there like the Schmidt and Modal 008 I'm shocked there isn't one already. If a company like Schmidt thinks $25k is reasonable for a digital sounding analog synth with no effects, sequencer and only two splits and layers I don't see the issue here. An 88 key analog synth workstation with 4 synth engines, advanced sequencer option and even a basic drum machine built in I don't think anyone would dismiss it..especially if people are spending $3000-$5000 on Monophonic Moogs.

« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2016, 04:22:39 PM »
I guess an analog workstation would be something Id be after.  Honestly compared to the prices of some synths out there like the Schmidt and Modal 008 I'm shocked there isn't one already. If a company like Schmidt thinks $25k is reasonable for a digital sounding analog synth with no effects, sequencer and only two splits and layers I don't see the issue here. An 88 key analog synth workstation with 4 synth engines, advanced sequencer option and even a basic drum machine built in I don't think anyone would dismiss it..especially if people are spending $3000-$5000 on Monophonic Moogs.

The thing is that for about $5,000 you can get a bunch of synths that cover what the Arp had. You can have a bass synth like a Minitaur, a multi-timbral analog poly synth like the Prophet '08, and a mono synth of your choice.

« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2016, 04:25:33 PM »

The Gligli mod for the Sequential Prophet 600 (https://gligli.github.io/p600fw/) is a perfect example of a modification for an existing (vintage) synth with hobbyist hardware (Teensy USB).

I don't see any need to modify any of the existing DSI hardware products, to be honest - the MIDI spec is complete and the products are well supported.

As for the ARP string sound - I have a pair each of Omni I and II that I'm planning on restoring to functional condition (I seem to collect shelter instruments on a regular basis); that's probably one of the most complicated parts of the Quadra.
Sequential / DSI stuff: Prophet-6 Keyboard with Yorick Tech LFE, Prophet 12 Keyboard, Mono Evolver Keyboard, Split-Eight, Six-Trak, Prophet 2000

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2016, 04:30:30 PM »

The thing is that for about $5,000 you can get a bunch of synths that cover what the Arp had. You can have a bass synth like a Minitaur, a multi-timbral analog poly synth like the Prophet '08, and a mono synth of your choice.

A MIDI master keyboard, two Tetras, a Waldorf Streichfett* for the string-machine ("essential for recreating how adult movies sounded thirty years ago"), and you're good to go for way less money than a Quadra cost when new.

For that matter - the Tetra on its own does a pretty good job without any effects, if you get the mod matrix right. The four-part multitimbrality is an added bonus (and is the reason why I went for a Mopho SE + Tetra rather than a Mopho X4; as always, your mileage may vary).

* - not purely analogue, but exceptionally convincing nonetheless
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 04:32:46 PM by DavidDever »