My OB6 Arpeggiator ignoring some notes (diff from P6 arp) - can any users check?

Does anyone use Assign mode ontheir OB6 arpeggiator? LIke the Prophet-6 it has 32 notes but, unlike the Prophet-6 I cannot play a note in the assigned order if I have already played it once. So if you went up the C major scale 2 octaves and down again the OB6 arp ignores all the down notes because they've already been played.

On my P6, the P6 doesn't "care" what notes I enter; it just plays them back as I played them in, up to 32 notes. Much better.

I'm wondering if this is a problem with my OB6 (I also have the SYNC mode Sub octave inconsistency mentioned iin a thread elsewhere).

So I have found these 2 inconsistencies in 6 days and one of them is fairly subtle, indicating their could be more if I look hard enough.

I can record any sequence of notes in to the sequencer but I like to use the arp a lot more, personally, so this is a bad feature for me on my OB-6.

Maybe I need to re-load the OS.

My P6 has 1.4.0 and OB-6 has 1.5.5. I am reluctant to do another update to a later OS on my P6 if it going to mess around with the arpeggiator recording. I note that the arpeggiator MIDI out function has been added since P6 OS 1.4.0, so some things might have changed and ASSIGN mode might not be used by many, though it used to be on the old Prophet-VS and makes the arp about 100x more useful in my view.

Can anyone tell me how their OB6 / P6 arpeggiators behave in assign mode with regard to already hit notes? Especially anyone who has both synths! Thanks!

Dave.
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

I have an OB-6 but not a P-6. I have seen the same thing on the OB-6 in assign mode. Once a note is "assigned" (i.e. pressed in the order you want it to play) it is effectively committed, and can't be placed in another position in the Assigned Arpeggio. Seems like a bug as I can't imagine why anyone would want this limitation.

It first became obvious to me when I wanted to program:
1-3-2-4-3-5-4-6-5-7-6-8

...to repeat.

I got:
1-3-2-4-5-6-7-8
...catchy, but not my intent
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments

I have an OB-6 but not a P-6. I have seen the same thing on the OB-6 in assign mode. Once a note is "assigned" (i.e. pressed in the order you want it to play) it is effectively committed, and can't be placed in another position in the Assigned Arpeggio. Seems like a bug as I can't imagine why anyone would want this limitation.
It first became obvious to me when I wanted to program:
1-3-2-4-3-5-4-6-5-7-6-8
...to repeat.
I got:
1-3-2-4-5-6-7-8
...catchy, but not my intent

Thanks very much for your reply. It's just what I wanted to know. I had a suspicion that it might be a characteristic of the unit.
I first noticed on the very first day becuse I DO own a P6 and the P6 will play ANY combination of 32 notes (I'm not sure if it does two consecutive identical notes but that wouold be very unusual anyway).
Yes if you do the Duran Duran Save a Prayer A B C E G E G E the OB6 arpeggiator in Assign mode is going to fail to play even that. You will get A B C E G and then repeat. That is not good and very limiting. I'm very surprised that OB6 serial #03638 on the latest Operating System (OS) 1.5.5 won't do what my secondhand P6 #0383 does with ease on an old OS 1.4.0. I didn't really get a candid answer from Sequential that satisfied me, as to whether this was a fault on my particular unit, whether it as characteristic of the machine itself or whether it could and/or would be addressed in a future OS update. I wonder if something happened when they added the ability to export notes over MIDI because my Prophet-6 OS 1.4.0 is before that was added, so I am little reluctant to update my P6 OS any more. If it isn't broken, don't fix it would be my motto, especially with any kind of software. Anyway, I cannot play patterns on the OB6 that I can do on the P6 all the time. I use the P6 arpeggiator a lot and it is one of my favourite ways to jam and record. So the OB6 is not much use to me - and it has another fault on the sub oscillator, so I am not happy with it, even though it sounds almost divine otherwise.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 11:09:47 AM by DaveP6guy »
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

I only use the arpeggiator on the OB6 for very simple rhythm stuff.
For the majority of my arp and Seq needs, I use my Arturia gear:
Minibrute 2S
Beatstep Pro
Keystep

The Minibrute has four tracks in the sequencer so you can do duo-phonic with gate or monophonic with 2 mods (i.e. a monosynth with pitch, gate, MOD1, MOD2) and record it live or step program with knobs for every step (up to 64 steps)...also has a sophisticated arp

The Beatstep has two monosynth tracks with pitch, gate, velocity in addition to the full drum sequencer (both 64 steps, drum has 16 assignable pads...I use soft-synths or my Roland SoundCanvas

The Keystep has 8-note poly sequencing capability also 64 steps, this is my main unit for programming the OB-6 seq. It also has a fairly sophisticated set of live tools for arp, play-along, chord morphing, etc...

All the Arturia boxes have a background app with a reasonable (better than Soundtower for sure) editor for the sequences.

I bought all three used for a total of $600...considering my investment in the OB-6 this is a big performance multiplier
DSI OB-6, Nord Electro 3HP & 6HP, Roland SoundCanvas SC55mkii, Beatstep Pro, KeyStep, Roland SE-02, MPD18 (+mpcstuff), Roland TD-4 V-drums, Fender-Rhodes Stage MK1, Reaper, plus dozens of acoustic instruments