Prophet X dropping in price rapidly

ddp

Re: Prophet X dropping in price rapidly
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2019, 09:59:57 PM »
They're all different flavors of good, I miss things about the rev2 and the Tempest, but I'm trying to get rid of things, the Subsequent, Model D, and Lead 3 are in the garage now.  I can't sell any of them, you understand.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2020, 11:24:12 AM »
When it arrived it was at software version 1.2 and the samples had ERRORs all over the place, but once I updated the software and did a rescan of the library it was functioning perfectly.

How did you do a rescan the library, what is the function called on the PX?
OB6 desktop x2, DSI Rev2 16, Toraiz AS-1, Prophet 12, Pro 2, Vermona 14, Roland System 8, Matrixbrute, Jomox Sunsyn MKII

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2020, 07:07:20 AM »
I didn't see this thread at the time, as I did not get my Prophet X until early November last year.  :)

I was one of those swayed into purchasing my first Prophet by the BAX Shop price. I was looking for a Novation Summit but they were as rare as hen's teeth at the time due to being very new on the market and Novation not being able to keep up with the demand.

So I had the choice of waiting or seeing what else was about, when I stumbled upon the BAX Shop Prophet X price, which at the time was £2,400 GPB or about $3,000 USD or €2,800 EUR. This price was a little outside my budget of £2,000 but given I buy synths like this for the long haul (ten years min) then I decided that I was worth it :D

I was amazed by this price and didn't quite believe it at the time until the order was confirmed! Their current price is £2,700 which is again a price I probably would not have paid, so I was lucky! I definitely would not have paid the original asking price (and you can still see it being sold in Europe for over £3,000).

But to own a Prophet for £2,400, I jumped at the chance, especially after reading the Sound on Sound review. Strangely for a synth like this, I could not find any decent audio demos (I can't sit through hour long you tube videos listening to some boring nerd droning on about oscillators,  who then occasionally makes a raw sound ;) ), so I did take a chance, but Bax have a good returns policy

Sadly since then, I have not had a huge amount of time in the studio, but I am now starting to program it and make use of it a little more. It certainly oozes quality both sonically and in build quality. So I was quite happy with the price I paid for it.
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

LoboLives

« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2020, 07:50:46 AM »
Strangely for a synth like this, I could not find any decent audio demos .

>:(

Shaw

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2020, 09:59:29 AM »

Lobo, I laughed so hard at your reply!!!! 
Thanks, Mate!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2020, 01:16:48 PM »

Thanks, Mate!

LOL I actually gasped out loud when I first read Derek Cook's statement. LOL

« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2020, 07:53:43 AM »

Thanks, Mate!

Still true though. :) There was only one online demo I found that made me go "wow".

And demos are important to me in my purchase decisions, as there are no music stores where I live to go and demo them. Nearest stores are two/three hours drive away and none of them stock Sequential gear.
Regards
Derek

----------

Prophet X, Yamaha Montage 7, SY99, TG77, EX5R, AN1x, FS1r, Motif Rack ES (with PLG150-AN and PLG150-VL), Korg Kronos X61, Nord G2 Engine, and way too many VSTis!

OceanMachine

« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2020, 08:47:55 AM »
I've watched/listened to them all and I'd have to agree. Aside from the SonicState review where Nick managed some really nice sounds, this is the only demo that really made me want one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1IcLsB41sk

On a side note, I've yet to hear anything good come from the Nord Wave 2, especially anything coming from the company itself... It's as if Nord is trying their best not to sell them.

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2020, 11:52:16 AM »
I've watched/listened to them all and I'd have to agree. Aside from the SonicState review where Nick managed some really nice sounds, this is the only demo that really made me want one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1IcLsB41sk

On a side note, I've yet to hear anything good come from the Nord Wave 2, especially anything coming from the company itself... It's as if Nord is trying their best not to sell them.

This was the demo that made decide to take a chance on the Prophet X.  There was some stuff in there that I was not impressed with, but enough to make me go for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N83M472PuN0

BTW, I felt the same with Nord with their G2 Modular way back in 2006. I could not find a decent demo of that which was not dance oriented (not my cup of tea). But I found a rack unit (the G2 Engine) at a price (£300) that was too good to miss (knowing I could sell on and make no loss if I did not like it), so I took a chance on it. What an awesome synth. It was my main synth engine in my Pink Floyd Tribute band for many years, and I got all of the Moog/VCS3 sounds that I needed out of it, and it was of course great for other things, and still is.
Regards
Derek

----------

LoboLives

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2020, 01:57:50 PM »

Thanks, Mate!

Still true though. :) There was only one online demo I found that made me go "wow".

I've failed.

« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »

Thanks, Mate!

I've failed.

? I'm afraid you've lost me, but that is easily done these days....
Regards
Derek

----------

Shaw

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2020, 12:42:45 PM »

Thanks, Mate!

I've failed.

? I'm afraid you've lost me, but that is easily done these days....

Lobo has done tons of YouTube videos of his compositions featuring the Prophet X... none of which you mentioned as good demos of the Prophet X.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #52 on: April 22, 2020, 10:44:40 AM »

<<SNIP>>

Lobo has done tons of YouTube videos of his compositions featuring the Prophet X... none of which you mentioned as good demos of the Prophet X.

Ah, I see. :)

Sadly they did not come up when I was searching the internet at the time last October. So, unfortunately, an "unknown unknown" situation, and even if they are the best demos ever :) and they would have melted my brain, they could not be a help to me if I did not come across them. And I only found this forum when I registered my Prophet X.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but even knowing that now you have told me, I cannot find them on Youtube despite doing different search queries directly on the site such as "Lobo Prophet X", "Lobo Sequential" etc.

It's after the event now for me, but how do I find them on Youtube?

Asking out of genuine interest, and perhaps I can point others at them?
Regards
Derek

----------

Shaw

« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2020, 10:49:33 AM »

<<SNIP>>

Sadly they did not come up when I was searching the internet at the time last October. So, unfortunately, an "unknown unknown" situation, and even if they are the best demos ever :) and they would have melted my brain, they could not be a help to me if I did not come across them. And I only found this forum when I registered my Prophet X.

Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but even knowing that now you have told me, I cannot find them on Youtube despite doing different search queries directly on the site such as "Lobo Prophet X", "Lobo Sequential" etc.

https://youtu.be/59JKdemUPlA

I’m pretty sure Lobo was just joking around.
I was.

;D

LoboLives

« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2020, 08:53:27 PM »

<<SNIP>>

LOL I was just joking around. I've put out a ton of videos but I don't get much traffic at all.

Here is the most recent video I did in regards to some sounds I made on the Prophet X. You can check my channel for the full review/more demos and compositions I've done with it. Even did a video showing some user samples I put in as well. I mostly do film soundtracks so it might not be your cup of tea anyway but hopefully you'll dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPBjUmecNhw&t=64s

« Reply #55 on: April 22, 2020, 10:47:29 PM »
Lobos is being modest.  Here's his SoundCloud page:  https://soundcloud.com/user-523209234-123574856  Good stuff.
Jim Thorburn .  Toys-  Dave Smith: Prophet 5, Rev 4; Prophet 08; Pro 2; Prophet 12 module; EastWest Orchestral soft synths; Yamaha S-90; Yamaha Montage 8, Yamaha DX-7; KARP Odyssey; Ensoniq ESQ-1.  All run through a Cubase DAW with a Tascam DM-24 board.

LoboLives

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2020, 08:58:52 PM »
Thank you guys. You are way too kind. :) I appreciate it.