Prophet X dropping in price rapidly

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Re: Prophet X dropping in price rapidly
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2019, 01:16:02 AM »
Another price drop from a shop in the Netherlands:

https://dedijkmusicstore.nl/product/dave-smith-instruments-prophet-x/

Now: € 2875

I'm getting a bit upset about this. Obviously it is my own responsibility I decided to buy earlier this year. Such a drop in a few months is quite radical. I feel I am now more than €500 out of pocket.

No need to feel disparaged. You purchased a Prophet X for a price you we’re happy with, and presumably have enjoyed it for a longer period of time.  If you wait long enough, you’ll be able to get one for $500.  But that wouldn’t lessen the 25 years you had to enjoy it.
Thanks Shaw, wise words well said.

Happily I am enjoying creating wonderful sounds and composing on the Prophet X as much, perhaps even more, than a few months ago.

Edit: mistyped Shaw's name
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

jg666

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2019, 03:03:41 AM »
I don’t own a Prophet X yet but things like this have never worried me except when I pre-ordered my MODX and even before any stock had arrived it had dropped in price a couple of hundred quid, so I got onto Gear4Music and then changed my price to the new one.

I was a bit annoyed when I purchased my Sub37 only to find that 2 weeks later the Subsequent was released that seemed to fix all the annoyances that I had with the Sub37 :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 10:29:01 AM »
Would it be a viable option for Sequential to offer a lower end model without 8Dio samples, if such a thing were even contractually possible? I've heard a number of people (Razmo for instance) say they're not interested in the ambient onboard samples. Perhaps throw some inputs on there if that wouldn't drastically hike back up the price. Seems like a platform that has a lot of potential to play around with, as Dave has even mentioned a lot the tech could be repurposed into a drum machine.

*lessen  :P

For me to even consider a Prophet X, two things would have to be assured:

1. A module version
2. A full fledged sample import tool that will give me ALL sampling features.

I hardly think those two criteria will ever see the light of day, so no thanks... My V-Synth GT will serve me well enough, even if it does not have analog filters... these days I'd choose a QUANTUM over the PX any time.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2019, 11:23:49 AM »
I can't help you with the module request, of course, and my understanding is that there's simply too much physical hardware in a Prophet X to make a module practical.  Plans change, as does technology, of course.  I just wouldn't think it's a sure thing.

On the second front, however, my PXToolkit already exposes everything you can do with sample importing on the Prophet X.  It's free for personal use, with all the details covered by the relevant thread "stickied" at the top of this area of the forum.

LoboLives

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2019, 01:54:22 PM »
Would it be a viable option for Sequential to offer a lower end model without 8Dio samples, if such a thing were even contractually possible? I've heard a number of people (Razmo for instance) say they're not interested in the ambient onboard samples. Perhaps throw some inputs on there if that wouldn't drastically hike back up the price. Seems like a platform that has a lot of potential to play around with, as Dave has even mentioned a lot the tech could be repurposed into a drum machine.

1. A module version

I hardly think those two criteria will ever see the light of day, so no thanks... My V-Synth GT will serve me well enough, even if it does not have analog filters... these days I'd choose a QUANTUM over the PX any time.

Um....the Quantum doesn't have a module version either.

Shaw

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2019, 02:00:43 PM »

The Quantum is also dropping in price... Sweetwater is including it in their Yellow Tag sale. Price not advertised, but it’s a decent discount.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2019, 07:58:55 PM »
Like I said before...if the price is good I may grab a PXL to compliment my PX.

ddp

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2019, 09:59:47 PM »
I like the Moog One better for a number of reasons, but there are a lot of things that the Prophet X does better, they both sound awesome to me.  I have all the 8Dio extensions, why not?
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.

OceanMachine

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2019, 10:13:13 PM »
The Quantum is also dropping in price... Sweetwater is including it in their Yellow Tag sale. Price not advertised, but it’s a decent discount.

Are you sure about that? Might want to check again...

Shaw

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2019, 10:18:56 PM »

Are you sure about that? Might want to check again...
They have since removed it from the sale, but what I said was true at the time. First hand knowledge.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

jg666

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2019, 11:02:52 PM »
There's a couple of things that put me off the X

1) I saw quite a few people on these forums in the early days have issues where their synth went down completely and it took some time for them to get repaired. Even last month someone on YouTube who was doing a series of reviews on the X had his go down and it wasn't able to be repaired apparently.

2) The number of samples that I've heard that I will never use and in my mind take up valuable storage space and can't be removed. I would love it if they produced different 'versions' of the X that contained a different set of samples. A 'vintage' version for example would be the top of my list.
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2019, 12:32:06 AM »

1. A module version

Nope, which is why I won't get one either... I simply do not have the space... But IF I was to exchange my GT for another sampler type keyboard, then currently I would chose the QUANTUM over the PX... None of the two will allow for a proper SysEx editor because of the samples which logically cannot be included in a preset SysEx dump, so it's crucial that a proper UI with a big screen is available... This is not so with the PX... And besides, QUANTUM is so much more in terms of synthesis, has better keybed... Not that I would say PX is bad, it's not, but if I had to chose, there really is no question that I'd run off with a QUANTUM... But as things are right now with my GT, which neither PX or Quantum will be able to compete with regarding the VariPhrase sampling synthesis, I am not going to part with my GT... The time stretch and formant features in addition to the GT's depth are worth so much more to me, than some extra analog filters... If Quantum comes in a module form I might consider it as another cool soundsource, but I am not sure that in that case, PX will give me much extra... I would rather get a Prophet 12 module for the synthesis part.
If you need me, follow the shadows...

« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2019, 04:07:55 AM »
Quantum has been available in every 15% sale at Pro Audio Star. Big discount.

RexBo

• Distortion is beautiful and ugly in equal measure
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2019, 06:56:58 AM »
Please don’t hate me! I got a discount coupon to persuade me to return to a Netherlands online retailer and I was able to pick up a brand new Prophet X for €2457 ($2700). When it arrived it was at software version 1.2 and the samples had ERRORs all over the place, but once I updated the software and did a rescan of the library it was functioning perfectly. Ordered it on friday, got it on saturday and playing with it all day today...

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2019, 08:09:12 AM »
Congratulations!  That sounds like one heck of a find.

XCX

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2019, 03:24:22 PM »
I just got my first Dave Smith Synth and I got a really good deal on my PX Demo for $2200 It came with a few small dents! That was the lowest I have seen anywhere! Very happy with it so far? :)

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2019, 10:35:47 PM »
Please don’t hate me! I got a discount coupon to persuade me to return to a Netherlands online retailer and I was able to pick up a brand new Prophet X for €2457 ($2700). When it arrived it was at software version 1.2 and the samples had ERRORs all over the place, but once I updated the software and did a rescan of the library it was functioning perfectly. Ordered it on friday, got it on saturday and playing with it all day today...
Ah well done! Excellent deal. It seems the retail price, at least in the Netherlands, has stabilized around €2850-€2900.

I gave my first live performance last Saturday, to friends, family and (long suffering) colleagues. Featuring me on the Prophet X, Rev2, Evolver, Digitone and Schrittmacher and my son on piano (and laptop ;-). Whatever I said before, what I paid for the Prophet X: it was definitely worth it.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Shaw

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2019, 10:56:31 PM »
I just got my first Dave Smith Synth and I got a really good deal on my PX Demo for $2200 It came with a few small dents! That was the lowest I have seen anywhere! Very happy with it so far? :)
As long as the dents aren't modulation sources, you got a steal of a deal!  :)
Congratulations and welcome!

XCX

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2019, 03:31:17 PM »
I don't even think about them now, Because the X is Black it's very hard to see any of them!

OceanMachine

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2019, 05:15:56 PM »
Saw one brand new for $2,800 yesterday on sale, but ended up with a Quantum instead. Wish Sequential would have announced their next offering already...