Prophet X dropping in price rapidly

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Prophet X dropping in price rapidly
« on: July 20, 2019, 11:56:42 AM »
I've just noticed that a webshop in the Netherlands is advertising the Prophet X for just under €3000

At the beginning of this year the price was still about €750-800 more.

Anyone noticed this locally in your country/area?
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

laurentluigi

Re: Prophet X dropping in price rapidly
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 12:12:39 PM »
Hello,

I've seen the Px in sale on a french web shop at 3315€.....

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 12:44:24 PM »
I've been pricing the Prophet X recently, and as I live in Luxembourg (no retailers) I was looking at one in Belgium, where the price is still 3855 eur. If I decide to get one it looks like I'll need to buy in NL and then have it re-shipped to Luxembourg. That's an amazing price.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »
Thanks Gerry, that's amazing. I'm still on the fence about the keyboard. I've listened to your recordings and read some of your posts, you seem to have a very solid working knowledge on the Prophet X. Would you mind reading my post from earlier today (it's the one called Prophet X - Player's Rig and Instrument Creator) and letting me know your thoughts? That would be a huge help in making my decision! Cheers.

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 07:24:53 AM »
New price at Sweetwater: $3499. Guess it's not surprising since so many people seemed to think it was overpriced. Not thrilled that I paid the full $3999 three months ago, but I'll try and forget that and just enjoy the amazing machine....

Shaw

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 08:31:23 AM »
Moving stock before new item released?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 08:40:23 AM »
I don’t think anything new is due that would compete directly.  Solid state drives have been dropping dramatically in price, so it could be as simple as reduction in their manufacturing costs.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 11:35:19 AM »
Sometimes it's because a new instrument is about to appear, and sometimes it isn't.  The last time Sweetwater did this, it was just a personal business decision.  The time before, a new DSI synthesizer made its appearance.  You just can't tell.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 08:57:51 AM by Sacred Synthesis »

Shaw

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 11:54:24 AM »

I don’t think anything new is due that would compete directly.  Solid state drives have been dropping dramatically in price, so it could be as simple as reduction in their manufacturing costs.

Could very well be.  Seems like a sizable price drop just for a SSD, but still...

Sometimes it's because a new instrument is about to appear, and sometimes it isn't.  The last time Sweetwater did this, it was just a personal business decision.  The time before, a new DSI synthesizer made its appearance.  You just can tell.

I think you’re right.  But this time it’s not just Sweetwater.  Some sellers across the pond are dropping prices too.

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

OceanMachine

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2019, 11:55:51 AM »
DSI/Sequential is not usually in the habit of dropping prices. Even the Tempest from 2011 is still selling at full price. As ellsworth mentioned, I would assume this is due to it not selling as expected, which a reduction in manufacturing cost would somewhat lesson the blow and help enable them to do so.

Sometimes it's because a new instrument is about to appear, and sometimes it isn't.  The last time Sweetwater did this, it was just a personal business decision.  The time before, a new DSI synthesizer made its appearance.  You just can tell.
It's received a $500 price drop at Guitar Center as well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 12:40:42 PM by Ocean Machine »

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2019, 03:28:11 PM »
Hmmm maybe I will add a Prophet XL as a companion to my Prophet X lol (I’m actually seriously considering it.)

OceanMachine

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2019, 04:59:45 PM »
Would it be a viable option for Sequential to offer a lower end model without 8Dio samples, if such a thing were even contractually possible? I've heard a number of people (Razmo for instance) say they're not interested in the ambient onboard samples. Perhaps throw some inputs on there if that wouldn't drastically hike back up the price. Seems like a platform that has a lot of potential to play around with, as Dave has even mentioned a lot the tech could be repurposed into a drum machine.

*lessen  :P

LoboLives

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2019, 06:06:11 PM »
Would it be a viable option for Sequential to offer a lower end model without 8Dio samples, if such a thing were even contractually possible? I've heard a number of people (Razmo for instance) say they're not interested in the ambient onboard samples. Perhaps throw some inputs on there if that wouldn't drastically hike back up the price. Seems like a platform that has a lot of potential to play around with, as Dave has even mentioned a lot the tech could be repurposed into a drum machine.

It's possible but I think we'd likely see a module version before we saw a full sized lower end sample synth. Although it would likely look similar I think to a P12 type Module with less knobs. While I do absolutely love the onboard 8Dio samples of the PX, I do wonder what the price difference would have been if Dave Rossum collaborated with Sequential instead of 8Dio. Not sure he still owns the rights to the EMU library though. Hmmm

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2019, 01:26:53 AM »
Not sure if this is the case. During springtime this year I saw the Prophet X drop from 3800 to around 3500 Euro. First in one web shop, then others followed swiftly. When I saw the drop, I thought better buy now then to wait till later this year. But now, during summer, the price is dropping even lower with one web shop in the Netherlands now offering a deal under 3000 Euro.

To me it looks as if the Prophet X is seriously underrated, for me "she" has the feel of a future classic.  :) :D

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2019, 02:20:49 AM »

DS not working with https://www.spitfireaudio.com is a a missed opportunity IMHO.

I'm mostly using my own samples, so a way to get rid of the some of the chaff would be great. I suspect it will never be possible.

That's what I like about the Nords—you can put whatever you want in there. But the X's analog path is so nice ...

Stephen

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 02:30:53 AM »
Another price drop from a shop in the Netherlands:

https://dedijkmusicstore.nl/product/dave-smith-instruments-prophet-x/

Now: € 2875

I'm getting a bit upset about this. Obviously it is my own responsibility I decided to buy earlier this year. Such a drop in a few months is quite radical. I feel I am now more than €500 out of pocket.

Shaw

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2019, 07:31:07 AM »
Another price drop from a shop in the Netherlands:

https://dedijkmusicstore.nl/product/dave-smith-instruments-prophet-x/

Now: € 2875

I'm getting a bit upset about this. Obviously it is my own responsibility I decided to buy earlier this year. Such a drop in a few months is quite radical. I feel I am now more than €500 out of pocket.

No need to feel disparaged. You purchased a Prophet X for a price you we’re happy with, and presumably have enjoyed it for a longer period of time.  If you wait long enough, you’ll be able to get one for $500.  But that wouldn’t lessen the 25 years you had to enjoy it.

laurentluigi

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2019, 08:38:43 AM »
You're right Shaw!
I love mine more than yesterday but less than tomorrow....
😉

ddp

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 09:17:32 PM »
I still love my Prophet X and have every 8Dio expansion pack in it, I think it's a great synth.
Linnstrument, Pro 3 SE, Tempest, Prophet 10 & 12, Synclavier Regen, Cirklon 2, Torso T-1, Max/Ableton/Push 3, Kawai MP11SE, Pioneer Pro XDJ-XZ.