Prophet X - Player's Rig and Instrument Creator?

Prophet X - Player's Rig and Instrument Creator?
« on: July 20, 2019, 06:25:30 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm new here and have been reading up on the Prophet X as much as possible. I'm hoping you can give me a fair take on the Prophet X as both a player's rig and an instrument creation tool. I have used Nord keyboards (Electro/Stage) in the past as I love the quality of their tones for classic/vintage keyboards (pianos/elec. pianos/organs/wurly/clavinet/etc.), and the ease of adding classic effects (reverbs/distortion/etc.) to alter the tones. This is fantastic for writing music and Nords are also sturdy with very simple interfaces (mostly all nobs/drawbars - little need to dive into layers) making them great for live performance. What I'm missing with the Nords however is the ability to expand on creating new instruments with unique tones/sounds. What I've seen/heard during my research on the Prophet X is that the X seems great for this - including 1) layering 2 instruments together (my favorite example so far is the 8DIO CP70 piano with clavinet or hammond, adding incredible expression options to an otherwise thin but beautiful sounding instrument), 2) adding synth capabilities to natural instruments (oscillators/filters/envelopes) to create new versions of those instruments, 3) providing a great deal of synthesizer sounds/options not found in the Nord Electro boards (yes, not full Prophet 6 capabilities, and the Nord Stage 3 has a synth engine - but I'm not quite as heavy a synth user as a vintage keyboard player). The X also seems rugged enough for live performance/travel, and simple enough to program such that grabbing and adjusting sounds, including layered sounds, quickly is not a problem (lots of knobs/pitch and mod wheels). Is this a fair assessment? Is this the right keyboard to do this with? I've not delved into the sample world too far yet, and 8DIO's samples (plus some of the folks making new samples now) seem very high quality. Will I regret this keyboard if I get deeper into sampling and wish I'd gone with something like Native Instruments/Kontakt? Will there be more and more samples of great vintage keyboards available for the X so the board will continue to grow in it's capabilities - or will folks mostly focus on synthesizer sounds? Thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 06:42:40 AM by jbowerman »

LoboLives

Re: Prophet X - Player's Rig and Instrument Creator?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2019, 07:51:37 AM »
Hey everyone, I'm new here and have been reading up on the Prophet X as much as possible. I'm hoping you can give me a fair take on the Prophet X as both a player's rig and an instrument creation tool. I have used Nord keyboards (Electro/Stage) in the past as I love the quality of their tones for classic/vintage keyboards (pianos/elec. pianos/organs/wurly/clavinet/etc.), and the ease of adding classic effects (reverbs/distortion/etc.) to alter the tones. This is fantastic for writing music and Nords are also sturdy with very simple interfaces (mostly all nobs/drawbars - little need to dive into layers) making them great for live performance. What I'm missing with the Nords however is the ability to expand on creating new instruments with unique tones/sounds. What I've seen/heard during my research on the Prophet X is that the X seems great for this - including 1) layering 2 instruments together (my favorite example so far is the 8DIO CP70 piano with clavinet or hammond, adding incredible expression options to an otherwise thin but beautiful sounding instrument), 2) adding synth capabilities to natural instruments (oscillators/filters/envelopes) to create new versions of those instruments, 3) providing a great deal of synthesizer sounds/options not found in the Nord Electro boards (yes, not full Prophet 6 capabilities, and the Nord Stage 3 has a synth engine - but I'm not quite as heavy a synth user as a vintage keyboard player). The X also seems rugged enough for live performance/travel, and simple enough to program such that grabbing and adjusting sounds, including layered sounds, quickly is not a problem (lots of knobs/pitch and mod wheels). Is this a fair assessment? Is this the right keyboard to do this with? I've not delved into the sample world too far yet, and 8DIO's samples (plus some of the folks making new samples now) seem very high quality. Will I regret this keyboard if I get deeper into sampling and wish I'd gone with something like Native Instruments/Kontakt? Will there be more and more samples of great vintage keyboards available for the X so the board will continue to grow in it's capabilities - or will folks mostly focus on synthesizer sounds? Thoughts?

The Prophet X is one of those instruments that it can be whatever you want it to be.

I’m not a live player but the PX has become my “go to” for soundtrack work. I’ve scored ambient soundtracks, Latin flavoured soundtracks and Wurlitzer based jazz soundtracks with the PX. If you listen to some of my videos, really it’s all over the place sonically. I’m currently working on a 1950s monster movie do I was doing some Ronald Stein covers with it. Completely orchestral.

The only thing I would be mindful of with the PX is it doesn't have seamless sound transition so there is a little delay when switching patches. 

I know someone who sold their Kawai MP11 and went with a PXL.

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 11:16:52 AM »
Thanks Lobolives, great callout regarding the lack of seamless sound transitions. That's a good consideration I'll take in, but not a deal breaker. I'd like to check out your videos, where do I find them?

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2019, 01:46:56 PM »
I have never been into the modern Nord synths, as to me they appear a bit boring. I do own a trusty old Rack 2 and I love it because of its wonderful deep sound and quite interesting sound design possibilities. The Rack 2 does need a good external delay and effect rig to bring it alive in a mix.

I am not really interested in mimicking other synths or acoustic instruments. I m also not interested in playing other people's music. What I dream about is to create new sounds, combining acoustic like sounds, sounds of nature, my partners beautiful voice with electronic sounds.

The sound design possibilities of the Prophet X are mind blowing. I have been trying to build myself something along the lines of the Prophet X using an old Akai S5000 and applying analog filters like the ones on the Evolver desktop. But this is fiddly. Then Sequential brought out the Prophet X and it was exactly what I dreamt about: samples + synthesis + analog stereo filters.

I will be performing live with the Prophet X and I had two 'rehearsal sessions' myself where I transported the Prophet X in it's original box by car. I still need to find a good case for it.

I am not really a keyboard player, but getting better slowly. My passion is with, Berlin school style, sequencers and tweaking the synths on the fly while playing live. Mind you I don't have much experience yet playing live, time will tell.

I do trust Sequential 120%, their support has been exemplary for me. I upgraded my second hand Evolver using the upgrade kit and everything was wel described, help was always available. All the early issues with the Rev2 that bugged me have been ironed out. So I felt very confident buying the Prophet X (there is a PC motherboard inside + an SSD card which brings the hardware closer to my field of understanding anyway).

I hope this gives you a bit of an idea what I am up to.

I am typing this from a beautiful cottage on Vlieland, one of the amazing Dutch islands in the North of the Netherlands. We are here to make nature recordings. Birds, sea, waves, wind through the leaves etc. Sooner or later these recordings will end in the Prophet X. I almost can't wait to get back. Only my limited time, busy at work, stops me moving any faster  :).
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2019, 01:59:16 PM »
Another thing I just remembered that is important for you to know about me is that I really really do not want to use a computer for sound design, composing and live playing.

I work 50+ hours a week with very large scale cloud based computer systems and been doing this kind of work for almost 38 years.

I use the computer of course to make my recordings, mixes and masters. From an analog mixing desk directly into a Steinberg UR824 interface + ADAT expansion.

I submitted an entry to the 8dio score this moon contest using some of the Prophet X samples. I saw that most people used the 8Dio vst based libs. I have no illusions that using a couple of good libraries and a good DAW will outperform the Prophet X. But it is simply not my thing. I want knobs, LEDs, encoders etc. so much more fun than computers...... Ha ha. No offense of course.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2019, 01:17:28 AM »
I will be performing live with the Prophet X and I had two 'rehearsal sessions' myself where I transported the Prophet X in it's original box by car. I still need to find a good case for it.

For the Prophet X, take a look at the SKB 3i-4217-TKBD case. Sequential has also started to list it under the accessories section:
https://www.sequential.com/product/hardshell-case-for-prophet-x-by-skb/

For the Prophet XL, there's the SKB 3i-6018-8B-L case. You still need to cut out the shape inside. That's probably the one I'll end up getting, eventually.
https://www.sequential.com/product/hardshell-case-for-prophet-xl-by-skb/

While glancing for cases, I also ran across the NSP cases:
https://www.theflightcasecompany.com/sequential-prophet-x-professional-keyboard-flight-case
https://www.theflightcasecompany.com/sequential-prophet-xl-professional-keyboard-flight-case

Search for rifle cases of appropriate size for other possibilities, as many keyboard cases are really just that. The case my Moog PianoBar came in is one with pre-cut foam.

fyi.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2019, 03:40:47 AM »

For the Prophet X, take a look at the SKB 3i-4217-TKBD case. Sequential has also started to list it under the accessories section:
https://www.sequential.com/product/hardshell-case-for-prophet-x-by-skb

While glancing for cases, I also ran across the NSP cases:
https://www.theflightcasecompany.com/sequential-prophet-x-professional-keyboard-flight-case
Thanks! I've already got a request outstanding by Thomann. I bought their Rev2 light weight case. It fits the Rev2 like a glove, very light weight and I can even put it in the boot of my (very) small car.

Do I read 'rifle' case correctly? As in the thing that shoots bullets ...... Not sure I'd want one of those. Anyway I don't think I will ever fly anywhere with my gear. A hard case that is sturdy enough to go in my car, but sturdier than a bag is all I need.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2019, 08:49:29 AM »
Do I read 'rifle' case correctly? As in the thing that shoots bullets ...... Not sure I'd want one of those. Anyway I don't think I will ever fly anywhere with my gear. A hard case that is sturdy enough to go in my car, but sturdier than a bag is all I need.

Yes, you read that correctly. Many hard cases for keyboards are the same as rifle cases, even when the inside foam has been cut for the keyboard. So, searching those can provide options when a case hasn't been specifically cut for one's keyboard. Even the SKB one for the Prophet XL, listed as a utility case, is also marketed as a gun case.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

LoboLives

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 11:37:09 AM »
Thanks Lobolives, great callout regarding the lack of seamless sound transitions. That's a good consideration I'll take in, but not a deal breaker. I'd like to check out your videos, where do I find them?

You can hear some of my work here...https://soundcloud.com/user-523209234-123574856

and watch some of my videos here

https://www.youtube.com/user/EverettDudgeon138

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2019, 12:23:52 PM »
I'm hoping you can give me a fair take on the Prophet X as both a player's rig and an instrument creation tool.

I'm not a performer, so my insights on that front are somewhat limited.  I do think the very hands-on nature of the instrument's design serves as an invitation to reach out and tinker with sound while playing in a way that more menu-driven keyboards lack, so there's a lot to be said there that would be ideal for a live setting.  It's an incredibly playable instrument in that respect.  The main limitation, depending on your playing style, is one of polyphony compared to the Nord line.  This is an inherent tradeoff of the per-voice analog signal path, including the lovely stereo filters.  if you tend to favor lots of lingering sustained notes you may run into limitations sooner than you're used to.

Where the Prophet X starts to really shine is exploring new ideas.  Hands-on sound design is a definitely strength, as it's trivial to flip through gigabytes of samples in no time at all, while tinkering with modulations and exploring how its filters help craft a unique soundscape.  I find myself lost in sound all the time with mine, and it's inspiring just how easy and immediate new explorations can be.

I think your assessment of what you'd like here is absolutely spot-on.  As for whether you'd regret not going with something like Kontakt?  Only you can say, but I don't think you need to look at it as an either/or proposition.  Pick something that appeals to you and get deeply familiar with it, and if you need to supplement down the road with another tool?  There's nothing wrong with that.  Omnisphere is another option that some have found works especially well with the Prophet X as it can map the physical controls to its own features.

There's no question that you can go deeper with samples in software tools.  If you're looking to trigger subtle, realistic articulations for real-world instruments then a software sample library offers more options.  If you're looking to explore while you're playing and treat samples more as raw material than a finished product, and if you are open to serendipitous discoveries rather than predetermined outcomes, then I find the PX works really well for sound design.

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2019, 12:52:19 PM »
Wow, thank you (again) Gerry and Lady Gaia, super helpful. I'm more curious than ever now about the Prophet X as you both hone in on the sound design, which is also what I'm most interested in. The lack of "true" sounding vintage keyboards or pianos is a little concerning, as I want those as well (and I know the Nord does very well with this), but the blending of samples and/or synthesis to create new "instruments" is a key element of what I'm looking for. I also appreciate Lady Gaia's clear enablement of my getting BOTH the Prophet X and future software/tools. Haha. In the end, what I'm envisioning is creating a few dozen "new" instruments that I would play and compose with. I can't say it enough, the demo of 8DIO's CP70 blended with hammond, clavinet, etc. is exactly what I want to do. Each of these "blends" sounds to my ear like a brand new instrument - one that inspires writing new music around that tone or sound. The ability to do this all on the keyboard itself, making adjustments with simple knob twists - as opposed to staring at a screen and doing the same via a GUI - is super appealing, and I love the idea that the Prophet becomes (one of) my instruments for composition as well as live performance. I'm not interested in hauling a computer up on stage so this is definitely a great option, minus the aforementioned lack of seamless sound transition. Oi... so much to consider.

One question - is there a larger description / resource to better understand the polyphony tradeoffs? I'm not super clear on this yet and would love to understand it better. Thanks again so much!!

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2019, 01:29:55 PM »
One question - is there a larger description / resource to better understand the polyphony tradeoffs? I'm not super clear on this yet and would love to understand it better. Thanks again so much!!

There are three distinct modes the Prophet X can be in:

Eight Voice, which I tend to think of as the Prophet X's native mode.  Each voice starts with two instruments and two oscillators.  The instruments can contribute stereo samples which can be further panned if desired, and the two mono oscillators can be individually panned within the stereo field.  The resulting stereo image goes through a pair of analog filters, one for the left channel and one for the right.  Each of the two instruments can individually bypass the filters if desired.

Sixteen Voice which is similar to the Eight Voice mode except that the stereo image produced by samples and oscillators is flattened to mono before passing through a single filter, though the resulting post-filter signal can be panned anywhere in the stereo field.  This is useful when you have enough going on that voice count is more important than preserving subtle details in the original stereo samples.  If an instrument bypasses the filter then its stereo image is preserved, which can help.

Thirty-Two Voice is the newest addition, and quite an outlier.  Only one instrument and one oscillator are allowed per voice but the stereo imaging of samples are preserved and the oscillator can be panned independently.  All of the voices are summed together before passing through a single pair of filters in paraphonic fashion.  This can be appropriate when using the Prophet X as more of a sample playback engine and less of a synthesizer, so it might make sense for a piano-heavy piece in the middle of a set which otherwise plays more to the instrument's strengths.

Each of these voice counts is further cut in half when in split or stacked modes.  This can be acceptable for monster unison monophonic sounds or with extremely sparse arrangements, but when down to four notes you definitely have to exercise caution.

Frankly, I don't think the Prophet X shines if you're looking to it primarily for piano and other classic keys.  It doesn't support features like release samples or sympathetic resonance because it's not intended as an emulation of others instruments.  Instead, it's a fantastic playground for sound where the filter plays a starring role in helping shape raw sampled content.  The fact that it has so much dedicated storage is a godsend for offering up subtle stereo imaging as part of your sonic toolkit (which is why I tend to think of eight-voice mode as the "native" mode.)

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 02:05:34 PM »
Lady Gaia, this is amazing, thank you so much. If I understand correctly, the Eight Voice could be - for example - the CP70 with the Hammond (two instruments) - and with that I can pan each and use the oscillators (1 per instrument) as well to adjust the sound/tone. Then I also get the analog filters (1 per channel) which I can chose to use or bypass. Is that correct?

Also, if I have issues with sound fidelity when using too many voices, is this something that can be overcome through multiple tracks, in a recording situation? Meaning, could I just create another Eight Track voice and double up on the number of voices without losing the sample quality? If I'm understanding this correctly, this would not be possible live, but for composing would still work, right?

Thanks also for the frankness regarding the Prophet X for instrument emulation. I think the reality is that for what I really want to do I'm going to need a great emulator (Nord/Native Instruments/something similar) and something like the Prophet X where I can get creative with sound design.

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 03:11:02 PM »
If I understand correctly, the Eight Voice could be - for example - the CP70 with the Hammond (two instruments) - and with that I can pan each and use the oscillators (1 per instrument) as well to adjust the sound/tone. Then I also get the analog filters (1 per channel) which I can chose to use or bypass. Is that correct?

Presuming by one analog filter per channel you mean one for the left channel and one for the right?  Then yes, I think you've mostly got it except perhaps for the oscillators.  These are really independent of the instruments, just dynamically generated mono sound sources in their own right with the classic harmonic content of a square, sine, sawtooth, or supersaw wave.  What you're probably thinking of is Low Frequency Oscillators (LFOs) of which there are four per voice that can be used to modulate a wide range of characteristics of both the instruments and conventional oscillators.  There are also four envelopes (amplitude, filter, and two auxiliary) per voice, plus four slop generators used to add some drift so nothing has to be too perfect.

Also, if I have issues with sound fidelity when using too many voices, is this something that can be overcome through multiple tracks, in a recording situation? Meaning, could I just create another Eight Track voice and double up on the number of voices without losing the sample quality? If I'm understanding this correctly, this would not be possible live, but for composing would still work, right?

Absolutely.  Anything that generates audio can be used the way you describe in a studio setting.

Thanks also for the frankness regarding the Prophet X for instrument emulation. I think the reality is that for what I really want to do I'm going to need a great emulator (Nord/Native Instruments/something similar) and something like the Prophet X where I can get creative with sound design.

That's certainly how I've approached it.  There are some wonderful acoustic samples in the Prophet X that I enjoy using as fodder for sound design, but if you're just playing a piano it's hard to beat a device designed specifically to emulate that particular instrument.  There are some great sample libraries and of course one of the Nord lineup, or a Yamaha CP-88, or a Kurzweil Forte can also offer a nice hammer action to go with the sampled instrument.  I use a Forte in conjunction with the Prophet X and find they complement each other really well.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2019, 11:04:58 AM »
I don't really have anything more to add to help you with your decision, except for one thing.

Tonight I had so much fun, so very very relaxing, creation a really great Prophet X patch (in my opinion of course  :).

I took a factory sample (F16 Solo Vox - 11 Girl - Word Domi), stretched it across the keyboard at C2, brought the start and end closer together so you cannot hear the spoken word anymore, synced the loop size to 1/8th beat, decimated it so I could just hear the digital overtones, added a smidgen of sine oscillator and brought the filter cutoff back (to temper the overtones). Wonderful sound, totally new - you cannot hear at all what the original source was.

All the stress of the day: gone!

This new patch is starting to become the melody part of a new track I am creating. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow evening. I might upload it to my Soundcloud account, if it still fits my criteria of "75% happy is enough" tomorrow eve.

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2019, 12:24:54 PM »
I don't really have anything more to add to help you with your decision, except for one thing.

This new patch is starting to become the melody part of a new track I am creating. Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow evening. I might upload it to my Soundcloud account, if it still fits my criteria of "75% happy is enough" tomorrow eve.

Well, that kind of says it all, doesn't it? If music, and the creation of it, doesn't cure stress then nothing will. Thanks for the addition, I must admit not having created samples of my own in the past that I will need to research 50% of what you did but, it sounds creative and definitely a cool source of inspiration for writing new material. Please let me know if you upload it to Soundcloud, I'm now very curious!

I'm about 80% ready to pull the trigger... I'm still asking a few other questions here and there to confirm my decision. Thanks so much for everyone's help here. If I do get it, I'll probably start driving you all nuts with more questions.  :P

LoboLives

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2019, 04:53:33 PM »

Well, that kind of says it all, doesn't it? If music, and the creation of it, doesn't cure stress then nothing will. Thanks for the addition, I must admit not having created samples of my own in the past that I will need to research 50% of what you did but, it sounds creative and definitely a cool source of inspiration for writing new material. Please let me know if you upload it to Soundcloud, I'm now very curious!

I'm about 80% ready to pull the trigger... I'm still asking a few other questions here and there to confirm my decision. Thanks so much for everyone's help here. If I do get it, I'll probably start driving you all nuts with more questions.  :P

Here is my review of it..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbG8c1JF0qg

Some patches/sounds I've done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHq-dqzDbls&t=1s

and a few tracks done almost entirely with the PX (One track has a bit of Prophet 6 in it)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RiWk8c60E8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Hzt6oRVCk8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2win6m4LEM&t=4s

https://vimeo.com/307554261

https://vimeo.com/319277307

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2019, 02:05:17 AM »
As promised, featuring the Prophet X in the lead starting at 1:15 approximately.

https://soundcloud.com/gezz_havinga/happy-inspiration

On my way back from Vlieland I listened to some of my favourite Klaus Schulze tracks. This inspired the Rev2 patch that starts the track. Adding a bit of TC Electronic magic made it complete. Funny thing is my Rev2 patch doesn't even remotely sound like the Schulze patch .......  :)

From our discussion in this thread I also wanted to create a patch on the Prophet X that really showed off "her"  sound design super powers. The lead, starting around 1:15, is based on a (totally unrecognizable) factory sample: F/16 Solo Vox - 11. Girl - Word Domi. By "zooming"  into the sample (bringing in the start and end points), I found a part I'd like that did not sound like a word was sung. Then I adjusted the loop point so it fit 1/8th of the beat (track is 90BPM). You can hear the loop in the longer sustained notes later on towards the end of the track.

What for me really made the Prophet X patch sing, was to decimate to 81 and then filter out the higher digital artifacts. A really nice discovery!

As often with my tracks, I wanted to create a tension starting slightly uncomfortable which gets later resolved in the end part (good stuff for the brains pleasure centers). Though I have a feeling I might work out the end part on it's own for a completely new track. Anyway this track is now for me at a 85% satisfaction rate.  :)

And of course sound design and composition done entirely without a computer (Digitone does all the sequencing, Schrittmacher is just sending clock and start/stop).  For post processing I experimented with iZone's Neutron (the basic version) and mastering through Lurssen Mastering Console from Ik Multimedia. As I want to learn more about mixing and mastering these are two nice tools that facilitate my learning. I do have the feeling that I saturated (compressed) the percussion on the Prophet X a tat too much. Let me know what you think.

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2019, 01:59:33 PM »
Hey Gerry, thanks for sharing! The lead tone is really cool, it has a personality that I really like and makes a unique "voice" for your overall lead/melody. Definitely a great example of using the Prophet X to generate new sounds. So cool!