Awesome, Gibson gives Oberheim name and IP back to Tom!

Shaw

Re: Awesome, Gibson gives Oberheim name and IP back to Tom!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 02:22:05 PM »
https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/gibson-returns-tom-oberheim-trademark/?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Good stuff, congrats Tom!
Since they know squat about synthesis, it seems a no brainer.  Wish they had done that years ago, but better late than never.
Good news of the day for sure!
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 03:30:01 PM »
I was just reading about this and had to head over here. The Universe is finally back in perfect harmony.

Congrats Tom!

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 04:13:14 PM »
Fantastic news! I too wish this would have happened already right before Tom's return to the world of hardware synths. But yes, better late than never.

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:03:37 PM »
Glad to see Sequential and Oberheim where they belong. I'd love to see Dave and Tom collaborate to bring a Two Voice and Four Voice into bigger production. 

LoboLives

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2019, 07:53:17 AM »
The real question though is...will we see it on anything again?

LoboLives

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 10:05:49 AM »
I do wonder if the newly manufactured OB6s will have the original Oberheim logo on them.

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 03:43:20 PM »
https://guitar.com/news/industry-news/gibson-returns-tom-oberheim-trademark/?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Good stuff, congrats Tom!

So there has been a Dave Smith Instruments / Tom Oberheim signature logo OB6, now a SEQNENTIAL / To Oberheim signature OB6 and maybe now an Oberheim/Sequential Tom Oberheim signature logo OB-6 if they can fit all the logos on!!
Prophet-6 nut. Formerly, just a Prophet-5 nut.

OceanMachine

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2019, 08:53:00 AM »
So there has been a Dave Smith Instruments / Tom Oberheim signature logo OB6, now a SEQNENTIAL / To Oberheim signature OB6 and maybe now an Oberheim/Sequential Tom Oberheim signature logo OB-6 if they can fit all the logos on!!
Does the latest OB-6 batch have Sequential instead of DSI? If so please post pictures.

As for Oberheim, seeing the original font again would be very cool, but the logo is dorky as all get-out. Although I'm sure many people will defend it purely for nostalgic reasons and LycanAlive will say something about legacy.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 09:21:07 AM by Ocean Machine »

MPM

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2019, 11:41:54 PM »
SEM Rev2 16voice  :D  :D  :D
OB-6  Prophet-6  Prophet.Rev2/16  no kids

pfrf

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 07:55:40 AM »
So Uli Behringer won the right to use the Oberheim name in Europe, is that correct?  Gibson didn’t use the Oberheim trademark, their “ownership” of it is in question, they may have had no right to transfer the business name back to Tom.  I can’t help but wonder, given how suspect Gibson’s business tactics have been recently, if they gave the name away simply to avoid the expense of the possible upcoming lawsuits.

Shaw

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2019, 04:13:25 PM »
A new interview with Tom Oberheim that also touches upon the subject matter of this thread:

https://www.musicradar.com/news/tom-oberheim-thanks-to-the-dance-crowd-and-the-eurorack-guys-analogue-is-back-and-better-than-ever?fbclid=IwAR0DFnB6pq7ZtmeX_wmv5N9hug7FpRrY7GzBn14KzMTul6iiuAr73mUoUS0

Per Tom: “I’m still in the business and hope to have a new product out by the end of this year, and I’m also hoping to get back into the polyphonic synthesizer business next year.”

Umm... yes please.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

OceanMachine

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2019, 04:38:24 PM »
Fantastic news indeed and I hope it actual comes to fruition! Would love to see a new poly from him.

LoboLives

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2019, 08:08:31 PM »
All we can do is hope. Perhaps this is why Sequential has been so quiet as of late? Not that they are doing another collaboration with Tom but perhaps Dave is helping point Tom in the right direction and perhaps delegating some of his staff to assist him. I know Sequential has the Pro 3 in the works but you never know. In either case, Tom does need help. He announced a lot of things over the past while at conventions and nothing ever came to light save for prototypes...none of which actually made any sound. I'd hate to see this trend continue.