Is updating OS dangerous for own presets?

Is updating OS dangerous for own presets?
« on: July 19, 2019, 07:57:59 AM »
I want to update to the new OS. I havenīt done this for years, so my Prophet 6 has still OS 1.1.0. Do I need just an USB connection to the computer or a Midi-interface?
Is updating may a problem for the own presets. That would be terrible because I use them in a actual show (by the way the Prophet 6 is perfect to acompany improvisitation dance theatre).
What is the easiest way to store the presets in a Mac?

Thank you very much for your help.

Re: Is updating OS dangerous for own presets?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 04:35:47 PM »
Generally, it's not dangerous for your presets to update your instrument. Nevertheless, it's good practice to keep a backup of your sounds just in case something goes wrong.

For Mac, you can get SysEx Librarian: https://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

You can connect your Mac to your Prophet-6 via USB. Just make sure to set the global parameter "MIDI SysEx" to USB so that your instrument will receive and transmit your sounds using the USB port.

After you started SysEx Librarian, make sure that it will receive data from your Prophet-6. Simply choose the instrument from the drop down list at the top. Then press "record many," which puts the SysEx Librarian in waiting mode (it waits for receiving data, i.e. your programs). On the Prophet-6 you then go to the global parameter "Pgm Dump" and select the option that's suitable: Prg, Ten, Ban, usr, All(Program, Tens, Bank, User Banks, All). I guess the options "user banks" or "all" might be the most convenient in your case. After that, you just press the blinking Write button and whatever you selected will be transmitted to your Mac. The dumped programs will load back into the same bank and program locations when received by the Prophet-6 via MIDI again.

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »
My opinion is the same as the one above.
Also, it is good to update it because there were many new improvements done.

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 02:28:30 PM »
thank you, I will try that