Step Sequencer and ratcheting

Step Sequencer and ratcheting
« on: July 19, 2019, 06:54:10 AM »
Ratcheting was made popular by Tangerine Dream is getting popular again (some instruments start implementing it again like Mother 32).

My way of ratcheting (manually) on the REV2 is as follows.

1. I create a normal 16 step step sequence (you can use the arpeggiator as well).
2. Have one LFO produce an inverse sawtooth, sync it with sequencer and set the speed at double of the sequencer.
3. Create a modulation line. From Mod wheel to Filter frequency, and set the amount to 20 or something like that.

Now play a bit with the amount, the filter frequency and the mod wheel. At some point you should be able to create ratcheting.

The next step is to use the second row of the step sequencer to control this amount. Then you can automate it.

Just an idea for people to spend some time on it. With the right sound, some good tap cross delay and a beer, you are busy for an evening.

Re: Step Sequencer and ratcheting
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2019, 07:27:48 AM »
To save a sequencer you can also set the LFO amount to 0, route the sequencer to LFO amount and raise it for the steps where you want they ratchet.

Route another sequencer to LFO rate and you can have different ratchet rates per step.

Of course none of this is genuine ratcheting since the envelopes aren’t retriggered but it works well enough for a lot of patches.

Re: Step Sequencer and ratcheting
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 02:28:18 PM »
I also created a pseudo-ratcheting triplet effect with two inverse saw LFOs, one synced at 2× clock and the other at 3× clock.  Adjust LFO mod amounts (either by a sequencer, the wheel, or a square LFO at 0.5× clock) to select between the two LFOs.

Unfortunately, when LFOs are synced, you can't modulate their rates (AFAIK).

« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 02:33:19 PM by OakBloodThree »