Do you think Summer NAMM 2019 will give us a surprise .... ???

laurentluigi

I know ... Utopia awaits me.....

Who knows...!!!

Nokki

Re: Do you think Summer NAMM 2019 will give us a surprise .... ???
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 05:34:49 AM »
I think it is almost for sure.

They have confirmed that they would have something for the summer and ot would be nothing like the prophet X.

It has been more than a year since they released a new product.

They are rebranding as sequencial.

Looking forward to this ! :)

Best,
Nokki

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 10:54:57 AM »
I think it is almost for sure.

They have confirmed that they would have something for the summer and ot would be nothing like the prophet X.

It has been more than a year since they released a new product.

They are rebranding as sequencial.

Looking forward to this ! :)

Best,
Nokki

Me too. Guitars usually rule Summer NAMM with little to no synth stuff, but I believe this is where they launched their eurorack module a few years back and Sequential likes to be different (in a good way).

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 11:41:59 AM »
I live in Nashville... so might be a good reason to go check out Summer NAMM.  I've been threatening my wife with it for years... this might be the time to deliver on past promises.  :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 04:28:01 PM »
I would be very pleasantly surprised if we heard anything from this show.  I was under the impression it was likely to be late summer at earliest, but I’m eager for any news we can get.

OceanMachine

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 06:37:53 PM »

DMS

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 07:29:53 AM »
 Nice performance Carson

LoboLives

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 02:27:41 PM »
Just have to wait and see how it goes. Although I said I would buy the next Sequential synth sight unseen, unless it’s a new Poly Evolver or Wavetables/FM based synth or even a larger VCO based synth, I don’t think I’ll have any interest. I really don’t think the world needs another mono synth and if INHALT hinting at such an instrument from Sequential has any truth to it, it’ll feel like a step backwards, regardless of how good it sounds.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2019, 07:03:54 AM »
Just have to wait and see how it goes. Although I said I would buy the next Sequential synth sight unseen, unless it’s a new Poly Evolver or Wavetables/FM based synth or even a larger VCO based synth, I don’t think I’ll have any interest. I really don’t think the world needs another mono synth and if INHALT hinting at such an instrument from Sequential has any truth to it, it’ll feel like a step backwards, regardless of how good it sounds.

With Behringer coming out with a Pro-One clone, it would be a really weird choie if Sequential came out with one as well, at a much more expensive pricepoint... unless they made it polyphonic...
If you need me, follow the shadows...

LoboLives

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2019, 05:17:10 PM »

With Behringer coming out with a Pro-One clone, it would be a really weird choie if Sequential came out with one as well, at a much more expensive pricepoint... unless they made it polyphonic...

Which would somewhat defeat the point of a Pro 1. Wouldn’t  a Polyphonic Pro 1 essentially just be a Prophet 5 anyway?

blewis

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 06:08:17 PM »
I have my hopes up for something amazing. It’s hard work to be amazing once a year though.

LoboLives

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2019, 08:08:44 PM »
I still think the announcement and release of the Novation Summit made Sequential change any possible plans of a Prophet 12 successor.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 02:59:16 AM »

Which would somewhat defeat the point of a Pro 1. Wouldn’t  a Polyphonic Pro 1 essentially just be a Prophet 5 anyway?

That depends... I'm fairly certain that if they make a PolyPro, then it would not just be a simple polyphonic Pro1 (Prophet 5)... it would probably have the typical deep Sequential engine of the newer range of synths (like the REV2 for example), probably with added FX and dual timbrality as the others... and if I recall right, the first Pro1's also had SSM filters, not CEM? ... what if they had created the oscillators discrete, but used the SSM filters of the PX? ...

You have to remenber, that Dave use the brand names rather freely... the Pro2 was NOTHING linke a Pro1 successor... he has used the name "Prophet" on so many synths now it's lost it's classification meaning (to me at least)...

I fear, that if something like this comes out, the REV2 will seem stale in comparison... just have to wait and see

blewis

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 04:39:13 AM »
I still think the announcement and release of the Novation Summit made Sequential change any possible plans of a Prophet 12 successor.

That doesn’t make sense to me. They would have been 3/4 to 7/8 of the way through a design when the Summit was announced. They can’t just change plans that deep into the process.

blewis

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 04:41:52 AM »
I fear, that if something like this comes out, the REV2 will seem stale in comparison... just have to wait and see

It feels like it will be really hard not to have overlap with existing products. Only a VS or some pure FM synth would stand alone. Anything else will nearly overlap by half into another product of theirs .

Actually, another mono would have no overlap. Dang.

LoboLives

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 04:45:08 AM »

That doesn’t make sense to me. They would have been 3/4 to 7/8 of the way through a design when the Summit was announced. They can’t just change plans that deep into the process.

Sure they can. There’s no deadline.

Razmo

• I am shadow...
    • Kaleidoscopic Artworks
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 05:51:11 AM »

no.. but stopping production halfway thru would certainly not be cost-free... they may change some specs on what they were currently doing, but honestly, I don't think there is any reason NOT to take on the Summit... thats competition, and pretty normal. Not trying to make a better digital front-end synth that would take on the Summit, would be like giving up...

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 06:05:13 AM »
… and if I recall right, the first Pro1's also had SSM filters, not CEM?

Nope. The Pro-One came out in 1981, i.e. after the transition to CEM chips. The Prophet-10 (1980) was also only available with Curtis chips. There was just one early Prophet-10 prototype that utilized SSM chips, which was later dismantled and used for spare parts. So apart from the Rev. 1 and Rev. 2 Prophet-5 (roughly 1300 sold instruments) no other commercially available synth by Sequential Circuits featured SSM chips.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 06:19:45 AM by Paul Dither »

OceanMachine

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 06:08:09 AM »
Pro-One used CEM chips (VCO:CEM3340 & VCF: CEM3320) that the Rev 3 used

Quite an assumption.

Time=money in the real world.

Sacred Synthesis

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 05:15:00 PM »
In light of all the new synths and synth companies, the question is, What does Dave Smith do better than the others?  What can still be identified as the character of his instruments?  I still think it's possible for Sequential to prevail, even if they no longer seem so unique, due to the competition on all sides.