Prophet Rev2 vs Prophet X

Prophet Rev2 vs Prophet X
« on: July 13, 2019, 07:23:53 AM »
Would you buy a Prophet Rev2 if you allready got a Prophet X?

Shaw

Re: Prophet Rev2 vs Prophet X
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 09:07:41 AM »
If you have the money and want it, yes.  They are different enough by a mile.

... and you do realize that you’re asking a group of enablers if you should buy a new synth?  :)
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

OceanMachine

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 10:28:17 AM »
I'd say definitely no as both have almost identical synth engines. If you don't have a quality VCO synth, I'd suggest putting your money towards a P6 or OB-6. I say this as someone who has owned (currently own just the P6) both of those plus the REV2. If neither of those interest you, I'd then suggest waiting to see what Sequential has next up their sleeve.

Shaw

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 11:38:11 AM »
I'd say definitely no as both have almost identical synth engines. If you don't have a quality VCO synth, I'd suggest putting your money towards a P6 or OB-6. I say this as someone who has owned (currently own just the P6) both of those plus the REV2. If neither of those interest you, I'd then suggest waiting to see what Sequential has next up their sleeve.
"identical synth engines" ?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

OceanMachine

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 12:42:52 PM »
For starters, you conveniently left out the "almost" part. If anything the "synth engine" is more powerful on the PX as there's more modulation options, plus more/more intricate envelopes. That's not even mentioning the sample engine. Also as a side note, there's an extra parameter for the effects.

I'd be curious to know how they're "different enough by a mile" in favor of also buying a REV2... Is it the gated sequencer? ;) Sure the REV2 has analog oscillators, albeit DCOs, and more importantly a filter that's not highly regarded, especially compared to the SSI2144. Thus buying a REV2 seems highly unnecessary to me if one owns a PX and certainly so depending on one's repertoire, but that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 12:51:00 PM by Ocean Machine »

Shaw

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 12:52:21 PM »
They just seem quite different to me:
  • PX has stereo voices / filters
  • PX can do 32 voice paraphonic
  • Filters are different (aside from being stereo vs. mono)
  • REV2 oscillators are ANALOGUE
  • REV2 has Sub osc and noise generator
  • REV2 filter can operate in 2-pole
  • REV2 has a 4 track gate seq
In my book, those are enough differences for OP to own both if he so desires.  I assume he is aware of the Prophet 6, OB-6 and every other synth that exists... but since he only asked about these two, I confined my answer to these two.   We could all suggest other synths that would be even more different than the two that OP inquired about, but that wasn't what OP asked for.

At the end of the day, I think most of us could close our eyes and be able to distinguish between the sound of the PX and REV2 on more than 99.99% of patches that anyone will ever create for these two synths.  That's enough to justify owning both if he wants IMHO.

They do both have very similar "modulation engines" -- I certainly agree with you there.

OceanMachine

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 01:23:20 PM »

• PX has stereo voices / filters
  • PX can do 32 voice paraphonic
All additional abilities in favor of the PX.

• REV2 has Sub osc and noise generator
With the samples you can do all this and more.

• Filters are different (aside from being stereo vs. mono)
  • REV2 oscillators are ANALOGUE
  • REV2 has a 4 track gate seq
As I mentioned.

• REV2 filter can operate in 2-pole
I found the 2-pole option to be very weak on the REV2, but again, that's my opinion.

In my book, those are enough differences for OP to own both if he so desires.  I assume he is aware of the Prophet 6, OB-6 and every other synth that exists... but since he only asked about these two, I confined my answer to these two.   We could all suggest other synths that would be even more different than the two that OP inquired about, but that wasn't what OP asked for.
At the end of the day, I think most of us could close our eyes and be able to distinguish between the sound of the PX and REV2 on more than 99.99% of patches that anyone will ever create for these two synths.  That's enough to justify owning both if he wants IMHO.
I was simply mentioning a counterpoint.

They do both have very similar "modulation engines" -- I certainly agree with you there.
Synth engines. Keyword "engine" as they're almost identical in architecture.

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 04:54:50 AM »

I would definitely if I did not already own them ;-)

they are very different in sound and complement each other very well
PT10/12HD, Logic X, Digital Performer, Vienna Ensemble Pro
cMP 5,1 Catalina; MacBook Pro

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2019, 08:19:36 AM »
Yep, exactly what I did, just the other way around. Got a Rev2 from as soon as it was available and a few months ago also a P X.

Being intimately familiar with the Rev2, it was real easy getting to know the P X. Lately with the Voice Component Modeling technique, beautifully worked out by forum member @creativespiral (see the postings here: https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3449.40.html), I got even deeper into enjoying the Rev2.

I really am a great fan of Dave and his team's designs, slightly biased here ;-).

What I am after in sound design and composing tracks are a combination of real synthesized sounds with semi-realistic (sampled - natural sounding) instruments to bring about emotional responses while listening. I have found it remarkably easy, using some of the strings and winds samples, on the P X to generate truly emotive sounds. Combining this with the Rev2 (and some good external effect units) has been deeply satisfying. What I learned using the samples in the P X have inspired me to go delving deeper into sound design on the Rev2 to reach those emotions (happy, sad, euphoric, melancholic, etc).

When I walk into my studio I first switch on the Rev2 and the P X - consistently.  :) 8)
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 01:40:20 PM »
Today I finally went to the Bax Music Store in Rotterdam to try out the REV 2.
I must say I'm impressed. I got it's standard dull presets but every synth has that.
The presets that I liked, sounded really good. Good keyboard, good lay-out, some nice effects, et cetera.

I think I'm gonna buy the Rev 2. It will be a great addition to my Prophet X.

Shaw

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 01:41:58 PM »
I must say I'm impressed. I got it's standard dull presets but every synth has that.
The presets that I liked, sounded really good. Good keyboard, good lay-out, some nice effects, et cetera.

I seriously doubt you’ll have any regrets.

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 05:26:07 PM »

I seriously doubt you’ll have any regrets.

I'm gonna try to make some 90's UK Hard House with it.