ReOccurring Problem

maxter

Re: ReOccurring Problem
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 03:24:18 PM »
I, too, have used headphone jacks with devices with success. But I'd generally advice against it. In my case I suspect, as many effect devices expect a high impedance input, and headphones out are low impedance, that it had to work too hard, got overloaded and hot, until it just died. It "worked" for a couple of hours, but with strange behaviour, hangups etc.

Never heard that one should leave a synthesizer on for such a reason, sounds really strange. Especially if it's not behaving correctly, take the analogy of the car, I think it is applicable to electronic devices as well. If a component is broken, it would affect the circuit, perhaps loading other components in ways it wasn't intended to. If my stuff doesn't work properly, I turn it off immediately and have it fixed ASAP, or unplug everything and troubleshoot step by step.

I don't know what's happening, that's why I encourage thorough troubleshooting, unplugging everything and then plugging in bit by bit, to isolate any eventual causes. You mentioned it worked like it should before, when nothing was connected. If it, then, doesn't work properly when connected to other stuff, I'd suspect it's not the device itself but some connections that may cause this.

I've tried some complex setups myself, but almost always ended up with ground loops. Now I try to use as few devices as possible, connected to the same outlet and audio interface, and a dedicated midi interface. Connecting to different outlets also invites ground loops, like you mentioned using an extension cord from one room for some device. I'd try to use the same outlet for everything, and as few branch jackboxes (I still don't know the english word) as possible. Avoid daisy chaining. Keep it as simple as possible. DI boxes can also be helpful with ground loops. USB invites ground loops way more than MIDI, so if necessary I'd use a high quality powered USB-hub, cheaper ones are most often a source for ground loops.
The Way the Truth and the Life

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 03:48:12 PM »
I, too, have used headphone jacks with devices with success. But I'd generally advice against it. In my case I suspect, as many effect devices expect a high impedance input, and headphones out are low impedance, that it had to work too hard, got overloaded and hot, until it just died. It "worked" for a couple of hours, but with strange behaviour, hangups etc.

Never heard that one should leave a synthesizer on for such a reason, sounds really strange. Especially if it's not behaving correctly, take the analogy of the car, I think it is applicable to electronic devices as well. If a component is broken, it would affect the circuit, perhaps loading other components in ways it wasn't intended to. If my stuff doesn't work properly, I turn it off immediately and have it fixed ASAP, or unplug everything and troubleshoot step by step.

I don't know what's happening, that's why I encourage thorough troubleshooting, unplugging everything and then plugging in bit by bit, to isolate any eventual causes. You mentioned it worked like it should before, when nothing was connected. If it, then, doesn't work properly when connected to other stuff, I'd suspect it's not the device itself but some connections that may cause this.

I've tried some complex setups myself, but almost always ended up with ground loops. Now I try to use as few devices as possible, connected to the same outlet and audio interface, and a dedicated midi interface. Connecting to different outlets also invites ground loops, like you mentioned using an extension cord from one room for some device. I'd try to use the same outlet for everything, and as few branch jackboxes (I still don't know the english word) as possible. Avoid daisy chaining. Keep it as simple as possible. DI boxes can also be helpful with ground loops. USB invites ground loops way more than MIDI, so if necessary I'd use a high quality powered USB-hub, cheaper ones are most often a source for ground loops.

Well it plays better down here in my parents basement using USB hooked to a stereo.  Only thing I was using headphone jack so now I have to use Left channel...  I will say it sustained damage as half the voices are coloured differently.  I'll let it sit down here for awhile.  Time to get a new MIDI controller i suppose.  I need something with better velocity sensitve keys and more keys...  I was looking at hammer action 88 keys....  Saw a Studio Logic Sl 990 that was resonably priced.  Figure I could put more muscle in with a hammer action.

The headphone jack went oout when I was silver soldering some gold stereo to rca jacks together.  They had copper insides and were pressed together.  I figured if I soldered them with silver I might get a better connection becasue the Tape was getting iffy connection if I sent smaller signal...  ANyway as I was doing this I decided to use the Prophet rev2 headphone jack to test this and plug directly into an amp that is high powered with bad ground any way.  Usually I avoid connecting directly anyway, but I was using tape and that one isn't as dangerous as say auxiliary or phono wich will but 120 v AC into you with audio input channel!   Usually I connect to that with just wireless, but computers and different devices can handle it for short periods of time.  I feel no current through the tape which is most sensitive, but this is when that started.

How many DL boxes do I need.  I am connecting to multiple amps with mixer.  I have that stereo tube that is configure in  a 2.1   Two sensitive 8ohm on left and right and a small 16ohm AMPRO where both channels go into that the amp sits on top of...  It's kind of like a sub, but his is where most detail of sound comes from...  This particular setup will eat any signal no matter how powerful...  Huge fat bass's... THe amp is pushed to it's limits with impedance from speakers.  And then I'll  use to the mono to plug into a AMPEG gemini amp....  This brings out more detail and better treble....  or a small transistor Ibanez practice amp.

As you can here some of the voice are not operating correctly.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 04:37:19 PM by ryankm »
16 voice prophet rev2, chroma polaris, minibrute, bass & guitars

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2020, 04:40:29 PM »
If your REV2 is producing that loud steady pitch into actual headphones from the headphone jack, then there is definitely something wrong with it (at least that part of it).
I hope you get everything straightened out with the Sequential support team soon. Best of luck to you, and stay safe.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

maxter

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2020, 03:21:01 AM »
Ok, that behavior is definitely more than a setup problem, something must be broken for sure. I’d contact Sequential, and leave it off until it gets serviced. I hope it’s an easy and cheap repair.
The Way the Truth and the Life