Prophet 6 Module Troubleshooting

Prophet 6 Module Troubleshooting
« on: July 09, 2019, 10:07:30 AM »
Hello fine fellow synthesists:

I am new to the world of synthesizers and need some help.

I just purchase a Prophet X and a Prophet-6-Module.  The PX is working great, and I am trying to use the PX-keyboard to play the P6-module, but am getting no sound. Here are some more details.

The PX and P6 are both connected to my windows 10 PC via USB.

PX usb connection to W10 PC confirmed working:
   PX keyboard works to play softsynths
   PX keyboard data appears in Midi-Ox app when keys pressed

P6module usb connection to W10 PC probably working:
   P6 appears in control panel device manager
   P6 appears in Midi-Ox app
   Also tried several usb cables

Downstream audio system issues not the problem
   No sound even with headphone output direct from P6

ON THE P6
P6 version 1.5.9
Master Volume turned up
Program Volume turned up
Mixer dials turned up ( Osc1, Osc 2, Sub Osc)
Global parameters > Midi Channel > ALL
Global parameters > Midi Control > On
Global parameters > Midi Out > USb
Tried several different presets

I am at a loss to pinpoint the issue…  I am experienced with audio and PC connections, but new to synths, and don’t have a ton of experience in setting up MIDI.  Do I have something wrong with my P6 global settings?  Am I overlooking an important volume control? Is the issue with my PC device settings for the P6?  Or the MIDI settings on the P6 or PC? Or a usb resource issue? Do I just have a defective P6module?

Is there a way to use the Midi-Ox app to further troubleshoot? (detailed instructions please – I really do not know how to use the app).

What should the set-up look like if I simplify and just connect the PX and the P6 together without the W10 PC, and use the headphone output to listen (this should eliminate causes linked to the PC or my downstream audio system)? Am I correct that I can simply use midi cables to connect PX midi out to P6 midi in, and vice-versa? Do I need to change anything in the global settings on the PX or P6 to test this simple set up?

Any advice for further troubleshooting? 

Thanks in advance for any replies - I am DYING to play with my new instrument!!!!!

Re: Prophet 6 Module Troubleshooting
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 12:42:51 PM »
Well if you have a midi cable connect it from the xl midi  out to P6 midi in disconnect your usbs. That’s as simple as it gets.

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 08:17:47 AM »
What IAA says, but you will also have to set up the P6 to accept external MIDI. Don’t have the manual in front of me at the moment but it’s pretty easy.
Prophet X, Prophet 6, Nord Electro 5D 73, Korg Wavestate, NDLR, Arturia Matrixbrute, Waldorf Iridium, BARP 2600, Eurorack and altogether too many guitars.

Gomjab

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 06:37:03 AM »
As stated above an old fashion MIDI cable from the PX MIDI out to the P6 MIDI in would be fastest way to check things out.

The reason your current setup isn’t working is that with USB connections to both devices the PX and P6 each have two way communications with computer but there is nothing that is routing the MIDI data from PX into PC back to P6.

Do you have a DAW running on your PC?  You need to setup DAW to listen for MIDI data on the PX interface then on a track direct MIDI out to P6.   Each DAW will be slightly different but all will allow you to echo the incoming MIDI back out a different port.

If you just want to always play your P6 from the PX and not use a DAW to record MIDI data then the direct MIDI cable connection is the way to go.