Running out of hard drive space :/

LoboLives

Re: Running out of hard drive space :/
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2020, 05:46:57 PM »
I do not agree, all the 8dio sample packs have been really good apart from the T8, - i do agree that they should have relased alot more packs and not just synths, but what they have made so far is good.

That is not the issue, the issue is that the prophet x needs and is clearly build for a bigger hard drive than 50gb user samples.

Sequential, please... :)

Not....

Gonna.....

Happen.

Probably not from Sequential, no.

Unless it can be demonstrated that replacing the factory drive doesn’t harm the machine I wouldn’t even entertain the thought.

It’s just an off the shelf hard drive connected to a mother board just like millions of hard drives in North America... the tricky part is the OS and file system.

Which is essentially the entire heart of the machine.

Shaw

« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2020, 05:51:49 PM »
I do not agree, all the 8dio sample packs have been really good apart from the T8, - i do agree that they should have relased alot more packs and not just synths, but what they have made so far is good.

That is not the issue, the issue is that the prophet x needs and is clearly build for a bigger hard drive than 50gb user samples.

Not....

Gonna.....

Happen.

Unless it can be demonstrated that replacing the factory drive doesn’t harm the machine I wouldn’t even entertain the thought.

It’s just an off the shelf hard drive connected to a mother board just like millions of hard drives in North America... the tricky part is the OS and file system.

Maybe not... the main OS for the machine is likely stored in Flash, like the Prophet 12 and Rev 2.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

LoboLives

« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2020, 06:19:31 PM »

Not....

Gonna.....

Happen.

Maybe not... the main OS for the machine is likely stored in Flash, like the Prophet 12 and Rev 2.

Well if it can be done safely, I’m all for it.

« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2020, 09:49:34 AM »
For grins I opened up my XL and hooked up a HDMI monitor and keyboard to the mobo. The pc setup is password protected. you can select two partitions. 2 is QNX bootloader. If you try moving the hd cable to other sata ports A1 or A2 it says it can't mount qnx6 hd. It will boot if hd cable is in either SATA3_1 (default) or SATA3_2. Don't know if this helps anyone but it satisfied my curiousity for now.

Shaw

« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2020, 10:28:45 AM »
Has anyone tried to straight up duplicate the hard drive yet?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2020, 06:16:59 PM »

Sure, that's feasible with drive duplicators or using dd(1).
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

Shaw

« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2020, 06:22:07 PM »

Sure, that's feasible with drive duplicators or using dd(1).
What do you think would happen if you “duplicated” the drive onto a 1TB hard drive.   Would the file system not recognize the actual newly available larger amount of free space?

« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2020, 06:44:05 PM »
What do you think would happen if you “duplicated” the drive onto a 1TB hard drive.   Would the file system not recognize the actual newly available larger amount of free space?

Unlikely. Though I haven't looked at the full details of the qnx6fs filesystem implementation, I believe it's similar to other filesystems that fix the size upon creation.

To add a larger drive, one would need to be able to have it formatted appropriately with data put in expected places. Assuing there's nothing in the Sequential code to limit things, I'd suspect it may be possible but one would either have access a system running QNX or support added in the Prophet X/XL OS to format/setup a new drive. The latter would be preferable, of course. :)
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2023, 02:01:06 AM »
Anyone make any progress on this effort?

« Reply #69 on: September 10, 2023, 10:23:17 AM »
I would be very interested as well. The PX is an amazing instrument and nothing really compares. The HD limitation is the only thing from hold it back a bit.

« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2023, 02:33:23 AM »
I would be very interested as well. The PX is an amazing instrument and nothing really compares. The HD limitation is the only thing from hold it back a bit.

There are quite a few things holding it back—it's rather sad that it's been abandoned as I think it's the best sounding synth I have. I'd also like to delete the 8DIO sounds as I never use them.

Stephen
« Last Edit: September 26, 2023, 03:11:49 AM by StephenJamesBennett »