Running out of hard drive space :/

Nokki

Running out of hard drive space :/
« on: July 08, 2019, 08:18:45 AM »
First of all, I would like to express my extream gratitude to all of you, this community is amazing :)

I have all the 8Dio add on packs (6 packs currently) and I have downloaded everything from Lady Gaia, the sample repository and Goldbaby.

These are all very good in my opinion, the T8 and CP70 are probably the least exciting of these packs, but still good.
With all of the above installed I have about 2GB of available space left, sure one could go and pick and choose what to leave in the machine and the Deckards’s dream pack is rather big but also extremely well done so I rather not delete anything of these offerings if possible.

The Big Question:
Does anybody have any idea if it is possible to add another SSD or if an upgrade is possible to a bigger SSD in the Prophet X??
Would be a dream to have all your sample library in the prophet X and also have space for add ons for the foreseeable future.

I am aware that this has been discussed on this forum before but at the time it was just a future issue, I am sure I am not the only one running out of space at the moment

In this video on minute 3:57 we can see 3 additional ports similar to the one the SSD is connected to:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QDCocnt0M

List of available add ons for the Prophet X as of writing this post:

8dio (https://8dio.com/)
1-Prophet 5
2-CP70
3-ARP 2600
4-Oberheim OBX
5-Sequential Circuits T8
6- Jupiter 4

Lady Gaia (http://www.thinkersnacks.com/)
Neutron
OB6
Moog Voyager
Erebus
Oscillator Stacks

Gold Baby (http://www.goldbaby.co.nz/)
PPG Wave

Prophet X sample Repository (http://modulatable.com/Repository/)
Deckards Dream
Luigi waves
Marks Mellotron

Best,
Nokki

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 09:40:18 AM by Nokki »

laurentluigi

Re: Running out of hard drive space :/
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 08:56:59 AM »
And there is more to come!!
I'm going to use LadyGaia utility.
I already send some stuff to Mr Shaw.
Even if the quality is not the same as Deckard or Mellotron....!!!

Bye everyone!

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 09:33:52 AM »
I'm delighted to see the community that is growing up around the Prophet X.  The wide range of sampled content available, commercial and freely shared, is wonderfully inspiring.  Thanks to everyone who has stepped up, and to those who will in future.

Thanks especially to BLewis and Alan got the ball rolling by providing all of the raw samples in the VCO Pack (there's actually one more download in addition to the four listed above: the Oscillator Stack instruments blend seven oscillators from the DSI Evolver + Prophet 6 + Moog Voyager + Moog Mother-32 in a monster stereo configuration.)

... and of course to Dave Smith and Sequential for bringing us the Prophet X in the first place.  I've been intrigued by the potential of a modern hybrid instrument and have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know their creation.

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 10:33:13 PM »
An excellent question!

I have been holding back a bit as I can see the available space within the 50 Gbytes rapidly decreasing. It would be really great if Sequential could provide an upgrade kit of some sorts. I can easily see myself using 10 times as much space .........

From my side also a great thank  :) you to all so far who have been, in their own time, creating the great patch management tools and patch packs for the P X.

DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

XCX

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 03:57:04 PM »
Any updates on hard drive space?

Nokki

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 06:56:29 PM »
If it will be, then it will be a replacement drive not a additional drive. - regardless I know we would all upgrade :)

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 07:32:19 AM »
Unsure how the Prophet X OS (firmware) addresses the SSD structure but it seems like a no-brainer.  If it's limited in the OS, more than likely just a parameter they can edit in future firmware.  But I doubt there is a limitation. 

Limitations on drive size in the past were simply due to formatting structure such as the limitations of FAT/FAT32/NTFS/Journaled... 

The difference between the included 200GB SSD and a 500GB-1TB larger drive isn't limited by any formatting that I'm aware of.  I think the Prophet would address a larger drive with no issues (no guarantee though)

The first gotcha I would see is that you would want to get your Prophet's 150gb stock drive's 8DIO sample data onto the new larger drive - so you'd need to pull the 150gb drive and create that image on your Mac/PC.  You'd need a computer that can address 2 SSD's; the boot drive your computer is booting from and the Prophet drive you are imaging.  ...

...not impossible but I have 2 iMacs and a MacBook Pro so I couldn't do it here at my studio.  None of my computers have a multi-drive data bus. I would have to get some thunderbolt external drive enclosure.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 07:54:22 AM by station2station »
Oberheim TVS 1a | Antonus 2600 | Sequential Prophet 10 | DSI Tempest | Roland RD-2000 | Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 08:14:33 AM »
Right.  I think logistically and license-wise it's a much bigger challenge than from a pure implementation standpoint.  Likely as not, it would have to involve exchanging SSDs through Sequential rather than a do-it-yourself solution.

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2019, 04:26:11 PM »
Right.  I think logistically and license-wise it's a much bigger challenge than from a pure implementation standpoint.  Likely as not, it would have to involve exchanging SSDs through Sequential rather than a do-it-yourself solution.

Is the data on the drive licensed somehow? I know the RTU license of the 8DIO samples are included with he purchase of the keyboard.  But is there some weird auth stuff going on behind the scenes?  Because Im holding a 1TB SSD in my hand which is physically identical to the 200gb in the Prophet X.  Just gotta move the data over as far as I can tell.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2019, 04:28:57 PM by station2station »
Oberheim TVS 1a | Antonus 2600 | Sequential Prophet 10 | DSI Tempest | Roland RD-2000 | Martin 000-28 Modern Deluxe

Shaw

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2019, 04:32:08 PM »

Is the data on the drive licensed somehow? I know the RTU license of the 8DIO samples are included with he purchase of the keyboard.  But is there some weird auth stuff going on behind the scenes?  Because Im holding a 1TB SSD in my hand which is physically identical to the 200gb in the Prophet X.  Just gotta move the data over as far as I can tell.
Can’t wait to see the results of this experiment. 
I suppose if it didn’t work, you could just replace the original hard drive and carry on.

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2019, 06:21:28 AM »

I suppose if it didn’t work, you could just replace the original hard drive and carry on.

I would hope someone from Sequential would hop in here and stop this crazy train if it were a bad idea :)

Shaw

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2019, 06:42:58 AM »

I would hope someone from Sequential would hop in here and stop this crazy train if it were a bad idea :)
I suppose the primary question is: how would you duplicate the drive?
And where did you buy the 1TB SSD?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2019, 08:00:41 AM »
I suppose the primary question is: how would you duplicate the drive?
And where did you buy the 1TB SSD?
Yep, regarding duplication you'd need a desktop computer with multiple SATA cables, or a laptop with a thunderbolt external drive enclosure that deals with 2.5" SSD drives.  Then just mirror the drive using a utility.

You can get the SSD's anywhere. Microcenter in this case.  Sequential uses a (discontinued) 2.5" Intel 240GB SSD in the Prophet X.  1 terabyte 2.5mm SSD drives are in the $250-300 range.

I'm not out of space so Im not the guy about to do this, sorry to say.  I was just speaking to the topic in general. Again, I would hope someone from Sequential would step in if this is a bad idea due to some type of size-read restrictions built into the firmware.

This is the exact brand and drive Sequential uses: 

https://www.newegg.com/intel-dc-s4500-240gb/p/1Z4-009F-00026
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 08:06:12 AM by station2station »

Shaw

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 08:23:15 AM »
I'm not out of space so Im not the guy about to do this, sorry to say.
Should I send you some samples?   ;D

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2019, 01:23:43 PM »
Hmmmm. Interesting dd (sector for sector direct copy) Intel drive to a 1 or more TByte SSD. Check the partitioning and/or filesystem on the new drive. Adjust partition table and/or extend filesystem to fill all space on new SSD.

If Sequential has used a common filesystem (vfat, ext4, xfs .....) technically this should be rather straightforward. Real issue will be how the P X operating system will deal with the new device and extended space at boot time. If the OS is based on a recent Linux kernel, I don't see any problem.

Not saying I will try this. But the idea is fascinating.

Shaw

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2019, 02:02:14 PM »
Hmmmm. Interesting dd (sector for sector direct copy) Intel drive to a 1 or more TByte SSD. Check the partitioning and/or filesystem on the new drive. Adjust partition table and/or extend filesystem to fill all space on new SSD.

If Sequential has used a common filesystem (vfat, ext4, xfs .....) technically this should be rather straightforward. Real issue will be how the P X operating system will deal with the new device and extended space at boot time. If the OS is based on a recent Linux kernel, I don't see any problem.

Not saying I will try this. But the idea is fascinating.

You certainly sound like the guy with the "know how"... how about I send you the hard drive, and you try it?!?!?!?

;D

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2019, 06:31:00 PM »
DS/Sequential may not speak up one way or another.  If they say it's doable, they will have a bunch of marginally qualified owners bricking their prophet X's.

By saying nothing they may be ok with the technically savvy owners getting away with it.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2019, 11:03:39 PM »
I haven't opened my P X yet. Obviously I am somewhat reluctant to mod a €3500 beautifully designed instrument.

Does any of you guys know how easy it is to remove / replace the SSD physically?

Are the SATA connectors standard? Including the power connector.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2019, 11:12:43 PM »
You certainly sound like the guy with the "know how"... how about I send you the hard drive, and you try it?!?!?!?

;D
I've been building my own desktops and servers from of the shelve components since the eighties.

Thanks for the offer  :), there is no need.

I'm about to order a new Mini-ITX AMD based set of components this week. To replace my old aging energy inefficient servers.

I'll throw a set 1 TByte SSDs in anyway.

Edit: removed redundant quote in quote tags.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2019, 11:14:49 PM by Gerry Havinga »

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2019, 06:49:33 AM »
I haven't opened my P X yet. Obviously I am somewhat reluctant to mod a €3500 beautifully designed instrument.

Does any of you guys know how easy it is to remove / replace the SSD physically?

Are the SATA connectors standard? Including the power connector.

Yes, the SSD pinout is completely standard.  It's basically a PC in there.  Even the motherboard is an off-the-shelf gaming/home theater component unit widely available.  Note the various unused serial ports as well as 1/8th inch audio I/o in orange and blue colors.

At the most fundamental level, the Prophet X is a PC-based sample playback computer with an SSD full of 8DIO samples, routed to a synthesis board designed by Dave Smith with analog filter architecture designed by Dave Rassum.  I would wager it's running a common Linux OS distribution and the SSD is partitioned allowing 150gb for 8DIO, 50gb user partition, and a 40gb OS area (or less) .  This is why it's critical to mirror the factory SSD to the new one. 

Don't ge the wrong.  This isn't SIMPLY a PC.  The genius is in that synthesis/filter board.  No shame in the off-the-shelf PC components being used for the basic tasks.  Acceptable in fact.  No need to re-invent the wheel. 

Here is what you will see if you crack your unit (courtesy of Monty):

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 07:43:22 AM by station2station »