Ocarina sound

snm10

Ocarina sound
« on: July 04, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »
Hey all–

I'm trying to program the characteristic ocarina sound of Lyle Mays. In this website: https://www.keyboardmag.com/tag/know-the-art-of-synth-soloing-lyle-mays-ocarina-pat-metheny-keyboard-synth-synthesizer-arturia-prophet5-prophetv-keyboard-magazine-jerry-kovarsky-may-2016 there are some tips, but I can't pass the the detuning of two square waves. Any help?

Best regards

Re: Ocarina sound
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 05:57:21 PM »
Curious to mess with this myself and am interested in the outcome of this thread. What do you mean you can’t pass the detuning of two square waves?

snm10

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 09:49:13 PM »
Curious to mess with this myself and am interested in the outcome of this thread. What do you mean you can’t pass the detuning of two square waves?

I just can't achieve the sound :(

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:19:26 PM »
Two square wave oscillators, with progressive detuning between them using Envelope #3 to fine detune osc 2 relative to osc 1.

Not much to it.
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 03:33:15 PM »
I don’t have any answers for you unfortunately, but just so you don’t think you’re crazy, I did that basic explanation and while it had the scoop quality, it really doesn’t sound anything like it. There’s definitely further processing going on, a very specific delay and a very specific reverb, plus it’s a different synths osc to begin with.