External MIDI CC going to both layers in multi mode

External MIDI CC going to both layers in multi mode
« on: June 30, 2019, 12:25:15 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am running my Rev 2 desktop in mulit mode, and each layer reveived MIDI notes from and external sequencer on adjacent channels no problems, but when I send CC (Pitch bend) to layer A on it's MIDI channel, the pitch of layer B is also effected, can anyone suggest why this might be? My OS version is 1.1.4.5 incase that makes a difference.

Many thanks,

Greg

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Re: External MIDI CC going to both layers in multi mode
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 12:15:53 PM »
Hello everyone,

I am running my Rev 2 desktop in mulit mode, and each layer reveived MIDI notes from and external sequencer on adjacent channels no problems, but when I send CC (Pitch bend) to layer A on it's MIDI channel, the pitch of layer B is also effected, can anyone suggest why this might be? My OS version is 1.1.4.5 incase that makes a difference.

Many thanks,

Greg
Please check you don't sent MIDI CC to the mod-wheel and indirectly send CC Pitch bend. I will need to test this later, but if you sent direct pitch bend, or address the oscillators pitch directly (cannot remember which CC that is) it should be channel independent.

I will test this out later tonight in my studio.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 02:07:46 PM »
Yes indeed I can confirm what you are observing. Changing pitch bend and also using CC 1 (Modulation Wheel) for pitch will change both layers at the same time (multimode on). This follows the behavior of the wheels itself.

But if you sent on first MIDI channel (lower one assigned to layer A) CC 20 and CC 24 (oscillator 1 and 2 pitch) this will only affect layer A.
If you sent on second MIDI channel (next one up for layer B) also CC 20 and CC 24, it will affect osc 1 and 2 of layer B only.

This is a bit fiddly, but also very interesting. On my Schrittmacher I need 4 control encoders, but I only have two hands ;-). I can change the pitch of any of the 4 oscillators at will, fun stuff.

I hope this answers your question. Something else to try out of course is to change the modulation wheel assignment and have it different on both layers.  This will allow you to use CC 1 and re-route CC values to different destinations.

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 08:24:34 AM »
Yes indeed I can confirm what you are observing. Changing pitch bend and also using CC 1 (Modulation Wheel) for pitch will change both layers at the same time (multimode on). This follows the behavior of the wheels itself.

But if you sent on first MIDI channel (lower one assigned to layer A) CC 20 and CC 24 (oscillator 1 and 2 pitch) this will only affect layer A.
If you sent on second MIDI channel (next one up for layer B) also CC 20 and CC 24, it will affect osc 1 and 2 of layer B only.

This is a bit fiddly, but also very interesting. On my Schrittmacher I need 4 control encoders, but I only have two hands ;-). I can change the pitch of any of the 4 oscillators at will, fun stuff.

I hope this answers your question. Something else to try out of course is to change the modulation wheel assignment and have it different on both layers.  This will allow you to use CC 1 and re-route CC values to different destinations.

Hi Gerry,

Firstly, appologies for not replying to this sooner - you've written a very useful and comprehensive response, much apreciated. I assumed I would get emails when replys were added to my threads but this doesn't seem to be happening, and I've only just re-checked now, nearly a month later, poor form I know.

It's useful to know that there is a workaround by using osc pitch as CC instead, I'm not sure I can do this with my setup however as I'm not using a controller or a computer - just a Moog's wheels via an Octatrack.

Your info certainly gives me something to work with however - I may introduce another configuratble controller for the purpose.

Thanks again,

Greg

Djinn

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 10:46:38 AM »
Hey greg

How do u rate the octatrack? I'm thinking about getting one
If u want a no pc setup
I would recommend yamaha rs7000 it has great midi controls and sequencer
They r cheap these days
And covered in control knobs which can easily b reassigned for a particular cc

Gerry Havinga

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2019, 09:02:27 PM »
No worries Greg. It also happens to me quite a bit. When I am very busy with work, happened a lot this year, I won't get to reading the forum.