Deckard's Dream Sample and Preset Pack

Shaw

Deckard's Dream Sample and Preset Pack
« on: June 21, 2019, 10:22:04 PM »
Full Disclosure:  This is my new venture...

I've sampled my Deckard's Dream and just finishing up the accompanying presets.

Here are the specs:
• 182 multi-sampled instruments for the Sequential Prophet X
• over 31,000 individual stereo samples
• over 19 GB of sample content
• 256 custom presets (a full bank of both A and B Layers)
• Will be available soon

In the meantime, I have some free samples and presets available for download:  www.modulatable.com

and a promo video with some sounds here:

https://youtu.be/C6hUpOgnQBs
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

Gerry Havinga

• Really enjoying creating sounds and composing.
    • For the love of electronic music
Re: Deckard's Dream Sample and Preset Pack
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 02:52:38 AM »
Full Disclosure:  This is my new venture...

I've sampled my Deckard's Dream and just finishing up the accompanying presets.

Here are the specs:
• 182 multi-sampled instruments for the Sequential Prophet X
• over 31,000 individual stereo samples
• over 19 GB of sample content
• 256 custom presets (a full bank of both A and B Layers)
• Will be available soon

In the meantime, I have some free samples and presets available for download:  www.modulatable.com

and a promo video with some sounds here:

https://youtu.be/C6hUpOgnQBs
Oh yes please wonderful, thank you.
DAW-less and going down the Eurorack rabbit hole.

Shaw

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 11:28:36 PM »
Changed my mind about doing this commercially. 
The samples are online and free to download. 
I'm still doing presets for these samples and and will have those available as soon as I am done.

http://www.modulatable.com/Deckards_Dream/

I've also repurposed this website to act as a bit of a repository for User Samples.  It's a bit cumbersome for people to use Drop Box and Google Drive to send samples around.  Anyone wanting to host their samples on the site, just shoot me an email.  Make sure, of course, that you're samples are legally yours to share.
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 07:38:15 AM »
That’s incredibly generous of you.  Thank you for all the hard work and for contributing so much to the Prophet X community.  I’m very much looking forward to checking them out!

Shaw

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 07:51:05 AM »
That’s incredibly generous of you.  Thank you for all the hard work and for contributing so much to the Prophet X community.  I’m very much looking forward to checking them out!

I didn’t start this project as a commercial idea... I just wanted to get some Deckards Dream {“DD”} sounds into the PX for further mangling and layering.... and we are fortunate enough that you make a bit of software that made this a possibility.

So I did a few presets, liked the results and liked what I was able to do with them in the PX, then I just programmed a lot more and sampled them all. It was only toward the end that I thought “this has commercial value” - because that’s how my head works.

*Someone* reminded me (I think accidentally on their part, but I’m thankful for it regardless) that I didn’t start this as a commercial venture. And I don’t really want the “ecoutrements” that come along with a commercial sound design business.

As was my intention from the beginning, I sampled this synth treating it much more like a traditional instrument. Instead of sampling waveforms, I sampled entire instrument presets in order to capture the true magic of this synth — the interaction between the oscillators, filters, envelopes, LFOs and modulation. I thought: you don’t just sample the reed of the saxophone do you?

Adding the modulation capabilities and filters of the Prophet X to the DD’s samples produces (in my opinion) some deep and lush results. One trick I used (a lot) in the presets I’ve done so far is to have the same sample set loaded in both Instrument slots, then have Instrument 1 bypass the Prophet X filter while Instrument 2 doesn’t — keep in mind that the samples contain the sound of the DD’s filters and envelope’s already anyway. So one instrument (with just the DD filters) layered with the second instrument (having both the DD filters and the PX filters) — in my opinion, the results are gorgeous.

I also created true stereo samples from the DD — even though it is a mono instrument — using some stereo imaging.

Here’s another “trick” I used — especially where I had lots of round-robins in the sample set... load the same sample set into both instrument slots, pan one mostly left and the other mostly right, then use velocity and/or a random LFO or both to slightly adjust the sample start time on each side AND use velocity and/or a random LFO to modify the Cutoff L and R by slightly different amounts — you start getting to the point where this doesn’t sound like samples anymore.

Anyway, enough jabbering, I’ll have 256 presets online for all to enjoy soon (both A and B Layers in a full bank of 128).

If anyone else comes up with cool presets using these samples, I’d love to hear them.

Also, the offer to host the community’s User samples is a sincere one.  I hope people take me up on it (unless of course there is already something set up for sharing samples that I’ve missed?)

Cheers to all and Enjoy!

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 01:27:05 PM »
I've downloaded the zip file but I have a warning error "corrupted file", but now I'm extracting ....

Shaw

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 01:35:01 PM »
I've downloaded the zip file but I have a warning error "corrupted file", but now I'm extracting ....
Just curious.  Are you on a Mac or PC?  It shouldn't matter.  .Zip files are universal...
Several folks on GS seems to have downloaded without any issues.
Let me know.

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 01:45:19 PM »
PX, HD is formatted NTFS, now i'm trying for the second time....

Shaw

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 02:38:50 PM »

Update on the Deckard's Dream Samples:

I'm about finished making presets for these samples, and when done I will provide the presets for all 4 user banks so you can choose where you want to install them (shout out to Lady Gaiai for suggesting an easy way to copy from one banks to another)...

Also in doing these presets, I've resampled a few of the instruments....   And couple that with the fact that some people are having issues downloading the .zip file (I think because the file is almost 20GB in size)... Once I'm done with the presets / resamples, I will re-upload as several smaller .zip files of around 800MB or so each.  That should be small enough to make it easier for more people to download the files without any issues.  I'll be done with all of this *hopefully* by the weekend.

Rock on, kids!

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 03:04:57 PM »
My problem is the extraction not the download, so the next attempt may be to upload the PX folder not compressed. (the PX file are already generated in compressed format so...)

I'm about finished making presets for these samples, and when done I will provide the presets for all 4 user banks so you can choose where you want to install them (shout out to Lady Gaiai for suggesting an easy way to copy from one banks to another)...

Also in doing these presets, I've resampled a few of the instruments....   And couple that with the fact that some people are having issues downloading the .zip file (I think because the file is almost 20GB in size)... Once I'm done with the presets / resamples, I will re-upload as several smaller .zip files of around 800MB or so each.  That should be small enough to make it easier for more people to download the files without any issues.  I'll be done with all of this *hopefully* by the weekend.

Rock on, kids!
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 03:07:43 PM by Redrain68 »

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 03:42:17 PM »

Rock on, kids!

But if we use Blue Wave and move your samples to another bank we still have up repoint all the presets right? Or does that solve this too?

Shaw

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 03:50:04 PM »

Rock on, kids!

But if we use Blue Wave and move your samples to another bank we still have up repoint all the presets right? Or does that solve this too?
The presets would need to be pointed at the new sample locations. Unfortunately.

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 03:50:32 PM »
Also, not to be a pest but if one of the zips  you plan to create can just have the updated presets so we don’t have to download all of them again I and I am sure others that downloaded already would appreciate it.

Shaw

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 03:53:05 PM »
Also, not to be a pest but if one of the zips  you plan to create can just have the updated presets so we don’t have to download all of them again I and I am sure others that downloaded already would appreciate it.
Already thought of that... and plan to do so.

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 04:39:41 PM »
Already thought of that... and plan to do so.

You’re awesome. Thank you for everything.

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2019, 06:03:43 PM »
The presets would need to be pointed at the new sample locations. Unfortunately.

I've put together a simple command-line tool that will renumber a specified sample group in the Prophet X/XL Program Data Dump SysEx file. Initial tests seem to work. I just need to do a little clean up, write a bit of documentation, and make it available. I'll aim to make it available in the next day or so, barring interrupts. (No more work on it, today.) fyi.

One of the tests was running on the previously released Deckard's Dream Presets to change from U8 to U5, for example, leaving everything else as it was.
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

Shaw

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2019, 06:41:32 PM »

I've put together a simple command-line tool that will renumber a specified sample group in the Prophet X/XL Program Data Dump SysEx file. Initial tests seem to work. I just need to do a little clean up, write a bit of documentation, and make it available. I'll aim to make it available in the next day or so, barring interrupts. (No more work on it, today.) fyi.

One of the tests was running on the previously released Deckard's Dream Presets to change from U8 to U5, for example, leaving everything else as it was.
That’s awesome... Sequential needs to put you and Lady Gaia on the payroll.

I’m totally fine with command line tools, but it will beyond the grasp of average users.  Any chance of putting a simple GUI on top of it.
By the way, I’m almost done with the presets, and I have resampled some of the instruments so that will get an update as well.

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2019, 09:22:10 PM »
Thanks for taking the lead on this one, JK!  Much appreciated.  Frankly, I wonder if a command line tool for sample pack authors isn’t sufficient for the time being.  It’s not like every individual user needs to do the work, just the the original creator run a quick script to produce an array of .syx variations (ddream-u4-u07 for preset bank 4, sample bank 8, etc.)  Let users download the variant that meets their needs.

Sure, in the long run a nice UI would be ideal but that’s typically a whole lot more work than the raw command-line functionality.  Especially for both Windows and macOS.

Shaw

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2019, 10:14:09 PM »
It’s not like every individual user needs to do the work, just the the original creator run a quick script to produce an array of .syx variations (ddream-u4-u07 for preset bank 4, sample bank 8, etc.)  Let users download the variant that meets their needs.
That certainly seems simple enough.  And .syx files are small enough to just include all 32 variations in one .zip file.

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2019, 02:20:29 AM »
I really appreciate all the work you are both putting in to this, LG and Mr Compose.

How does this solve the problem of samples though? The presets will still surely need to see the samples at specific locations within a bank and if you, or another vendor already has samples there, the problems remain.

Stephen