Boaz One - "THE GUITAR OF THE FUTURE!" - Recycled Ocean Plastic Modular Guitar

maxter

Alright guys!

I'm not sure if this belongs here, or in the "Off Topic" section, and I didn't find the "Cool Stuff", so here goes...

So I watched this video by "The Guitologist" on Youtube, where he was interviewing Boaz Elkayam, inventor of the "Boaz One". The video is titled "THE GUITAR OF THE FUTURE! - 'Boaz One' Plastic Modular Guitar"
-What? Modular Guitar? Plastic... Yeah, I knew I had to watch it!

So uh... well it was a mix of thrill and skepticism, but I don't really scoff at anything I haven't heard or seen, so... It sounded intriguing... What does "Modular Guitar" even mean? And produced from recycled ocean plastic, someone has written in the comment section? Yeah right...

So, I watched it... and was astonished. Long story short, Mr Boaz Elkayam has had a lifelong career of making his own guitars and working for different brands, mainly acoustic guitars. For 25 years he's developed this "Modular Guitar" as a side project, and is now about to set up an Indiegogo campaign to make it happen. Is this in some way the equivalent of the Boog, but for Guitars?

If you're as intrigued by the idea as me, check it out! I'm not affiliated in any way, I just stumbled upon this yesterday and thought it was such a cool thing that I'm gonna get one for sure! I'm not even a guitar player, but I figure I'll get the Boaz and an E-bow to play slide guitar. I mean, why not?

Here's the Guitologist interview:
The Way the Truth and the Life

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
Interesting stuff. I like the modular aspect to it all despite it reminding me of Lego, but the thing I was "oh wow" the most about was the built-in stand, for some reason. It may be the combination of poor recording and poor speakers here, but it did seem to sound a bit plastic when it was finally played, but maybe that was also the sound of the combination of modules used.

maxter

I'm quite sure it sounds plastic!  ;D Whatever plastic guitar sound is, I suppose this will define it!

I suspect (and hope) it won't sound like any other guitar really, because most guitars have some character. From what I understand, it has nearly zero character, just 100% strings and pick-ups. If anything has different character on it, which could produce a different (plastic) sound, it's probably the frets not being metal. But they're supposedly gonna produce another neck with metal frets as well, so I'm interested in hearing the differences eventually.

Taking into account the amount of FX most often used on electric guitars that "make" (much of) the sound (generally speaking), I think in many cases and uses, it will prove sufficient. As no guitar can really "mimic" any other guitar perfectly anyway, and considering the possibilities of different setups and sounds for the least amount of money, space and hassle, it seems pretty convenient...

I'm sure it won't replace regular guitars or be the preferred choice in the studio, but it seems like a great consumer product, I mean in a broader sense. Small home studios etc, with small spaces and budgets, are very common these days, I suspect this will be popular among this clientele, and is mainly aimed at it?
The Way the Truth and the Life

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
Apparently Jack White plays some plastic bodied guitar and made them 'cool' to use for that sound. I've played a few toy guitars made from plastic and they always sound, well, umm, plastic heheheh. To put it a better way they accentuate particular frequencies and that makes them sound like they lack full tone.

I'm sure that there will be a certain group of players who will jump onto these guitars and a 'perfect' combo for particular sounds will be struck. I'm all for messing with how guitars sound be it via fx or build or modification, anything that will have some guitarist saying "that's not how a guitar should sound, you're ruining it!", but I'm not one for convention in guitar music.

I'm sorry - this is totally shameless, but there's no way I could resist! I mean, it's on topic, uh, right?