Wave MOD

Wave MOD
« on: June 17, 2019, 05:01:09 AM »
I have searched, maybe not well.  But in the REV2 what does the WAVE MOD do as in...

When I go hard left or hard right on a PULSE shape, it sounds the same at either extreme.  Maybe thats logical given the shape.

Trianle though sounds almost gritty on the right and very smooth on the left.

What am I hearing?  I dont have an oscillioscope but would love to see that.

Re: Wave MOD
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 06:55:44 AM »
Even if you don't have an oscilloscope, if you do have some kind of digital recording device/software that allows you to zoom in on the waveforms, you can look at the wave shapes just as well.

I wrote a brief summary of what's happening here:  https://forum.sequential.com/index.php/topic,3412.msg36754.html#msg36754

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 07:04:45 AM »
If you have a DAW there are free oscilloscope plugins to see better exactly what is happening.

But, for Triangle and Saw waveforms the Shape Mod works a bit differently than with Pulse.

Pulse is full square at 50%, so that is its natural start position.  The others start at 0%, so the Triangle being smooth (as you put it) is because all the way to the left is a pure triangle. As you move it right it starts to change shape and more harmonics are thus added.

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 05:53:54 PM »
I really appreciate your replies and thanks for the link. 

I am loving the Rev2 but this aspect is one I don't fully understand, as yet.

Thanks!

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 05:06:25 AM »
Hi, Nick Batt shows the differences that the Shape Mod knob makes to the Waveforms, in the following segment on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDL20eMJWlk&feature=youtu.be&t=322

Just be aware that normal Saw and Triangle are when the Shape Mod knob is hard left at 0% and normal Square wave is when the Shape Mod knob is halfway. Since the range is 0% to 99%, it's not clear if halfway is 49% or 50%, but to me it sounds like it's 50%.