Need honest opinion on prophet x by users

kimu

Re: Need honest opinion on prophet x by users
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2019, 03:25:12 AM »
thanks everybody for your contribution to the discussion. lots 0f really interesting points!

just one more question, does anyone have tried both the PX and some latest Clavia like nord stage 3 or nord piano 4 ?
how the Nord Library compare whit the Px regarding sound quality ?

i had the nord wave in the past and it was really good and the free library were huge, the PX is a step forward ?

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 03:52:12 AM »
I have the Electro, Wave and have used the Stage extensively.

You can use the X for a lot of the sounds the Nord is capable of. I wouldn't say the X sounds better for pianos, but the filters make it a superior synth to the Wave. But the latter is my live synth anyhow, I never record with it. I'd say the filter, though flexible, is pretty weak.

The organs are always going to be better on the Nord as they also have drawbars/Leslie emulation.

The sample and preset management is vastly superior on the Nords.

You get the X for the stereo filters and analog/hybrid path—the sound when you use it as a synth is, IMHO, vastly superior to the Nords.

Stephen

kimu

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 05:20:56 AM »
thanks Stephen,

when say "as a synth" waht do you mean exactly ? :)

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 05:40:32 AM »
thanks Stephen,

when say "as a synth" waht do you mean exactly ? :)

I mean something that doesn't slavishly attempt to emulate real instruments—though it does some of that very well!

Like the Wave you use the samples and digital oscillators and the filters and modifiers to mangle the generators.

The filters lift it a level above the Wave—though I do miss the latter's versatile digital oscillators.

As a bonus, it can sound remarkably like a classic vintage Prophet 5—especially when using P5 oscillator samples.

But of course, it's much more than this.

Stephen

LoboLives

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2019, 02:55:52 PM »
I think Nord is missing the ball not doing a new Wave synth...especially with their extensive sample library.

As far as the PX and piano type sounds...I’m not a player but the PX’s onboard piano sounds, Organ sounds and Electric Piano sounds have actually been my “go to” for when I need these sounds in a composition. With the 32 voice mode especially. Plus there’s samples of piano strings being plucked and scratched which most dedicated stage pianos don’t have. Plus I can sample more of those with my real upright if I need to and manipulate those samples with the engine. Again though, I’m speaking from a soundtrack composer’s perspective.

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2019, 02:32:13 AM »
I agree re: Wave—though a lot of the functionality is built into the Stage now.

What I'd like is a 73 note weighted Stage with real drawbars. One instrument Clavia don't make!

I agree as to the use of the X for 'bread and butter' sounds (apart from Organ). But again, I'd only be concerned for for live use.

I use the X as a synthesiser.

Stephen

kimu

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 08:42:39 PM »
I finally been able to test both the px and the piano nord 4
Clavia library are great, especially piano (of course), strings, brass and choirs, really close to a the real and ones, but px is astonishing, what a spatiality in sound and so clear and defined.
Maybe not all sample are so useful and great (some piano sample did not sound at all like a piano) but overall is great.

I preferred px over grand piano because of its synth features, when playing nord piano I miss having a filter, pitch and mod wheel etc etc but have to say that clavia is great in offering everything without menu while px requires deeper learning curve...

Finally, the keybed of the px is horrible... The xl is similar to hp keybed from clavia or the hammer graded from Korg?

OceanMachine

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2019, 08:49:54 PM »
The xl is similar to hp keybed from clavia or the hammer graded from Korg?

No, it's a Fatar TP/8Piano.

AG

« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2020, 12:30:57 PM »
Why is everyone playing this synth like a rompler , to me that defeats the point of this synth .
Can someone point me to where I can hear the PX sample modulation in action and some new exciting timbers .
I want to make Boards of Canada type sounds on the PX with pitch , filter , amp wobble and weird modulation etc... can the PX do that or would I be disappointed ?

LoboLives

« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2020, 06:31:44 PM »
Why is everyone playing this synth like a rompler , to me that defeats the point of this synth .
Can someone point me to where I can hear the PX sample modulation in action and some new exciting timbers .
I want to make Boards of Canada type sounds on the PX with pitch , filter , amp wobble and weird modulation etc... can the PX do that or would I be disappointed ?

It can easily do that. It has an entire dedicated synth engine in addition to the sample section

AG

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2020, 04:00:29 AM »

It can easily do that. It has an entire dedicated synth engine in addition to the sample section
Thanks ,
how's the polyphony , are they're voice dropouts with large chord progressions with long sustain . say a C minor 11th to D minor 11th .
Does anything else take away from the polyphony besides the note voices like LFOs FX etc... ?

LoboLives

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2020, 11:09:26 AM »

Thanks ,
how's the polyphony , are they're voice dropouts with large chord progressions with long sustain . say a C minor 11th to D minor 11th .
Does anything else take away from the polyphony besides the note voices like LFOs FX etc... ?

You have 3 choices of polyphony, 8 voices stereo, 16 voices mono, 32 voices paraphonic. Personally I've never had an issue with any of the modes.

The only thing that borrows polyphony would be the sequencer.

A Thousand Eyes

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2020, 11:27:30 AM »
It's important to state that all those get halved when in layer or split mode. It's very easy to hit that polyphony wall with 4 voices in stereo when layered or split.