Let's chat sound design...

allandbyallo

• IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE!
    • Music stuff
Let's chat sound design...
« on: June 11, 2019, 03:50:08 AM »
Hey gang
If you were to create something like a "vinyl crackle" or subtle click/pop/grit textural effect on one layer, how would you go about it?
Curious to hear how differently people may approach this!
A

allandbyallo

• IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE!
    • Music stuff
Re: Let's chat sound design...
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 03:55:22 AM »
FWIW this popped into my head while thinking about how to improve a patch I'm working on, a sort of "instant dub techno" chord thing. Would love to give it a layer of seemingly random texture/grit on top.

Djinn

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 06:30:15 AM »
I might stating the obvious but u could just sample the empty section at the beginning an actual and loop u could then break it down to further clicks and pops to randomise things
Would b alot easier than trying to get the rev2 to do it not saying it would be impossible just a crazy amount of head scratching  :)

allandbyallo

• IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE!
    • Music stuff
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2019, 06:48:47 AM »
I might stating the obvious but u could just sample the empty section at the beginning an actual and loop u could then break it down to further clicks and pops to randomise things
Would b alot easier than trying to get the rev2 to do it not saying it would be impossible just a crazy amount of head scratching  :)

Hey there! Yeah the idea was making this a Rev2 patch. I can do it with my eyes closed in a DAW or with my Digitakt... but I'm trying to wrap my head around synthesis from scratch, and wondering if modulation tricks on the white noise generator, maybe odd # of step seq for apparent randomness, etc could mimic something like this.

I feel like it can be done, just kinda crowd-sourcing processes, to see how differently people might approach this. I guess i'm just excited about this new synth haha :) Most of the sound design I've done thus far was mostly from a more sample-driven granular foundation.

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 02:02:05 PM »
I would mess around with the VCA, Noise, Audio Mod, and the HP Filter FX.  Try using Noise as a mod source and sending it to the VCA for a start.

Here's a YouTube example of some of the above in action. It's a simple drum beat but at 2:04 I stop the sequencer and you hear the noise/static continue due to the VCA being modulated by something...Can't remember what just now but I could track it down. The link below will open a new window cued to the sound in question.

Retro Crunch

Good Luck and Good Fun!

allandbyallo

• IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE!
    • Music stuff
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:10:44 PM »
Brilliant! Will have a look now! I appreciate you taking this post seriously and taking the time to share! :)

I would mess around with the VCA, Noise, Audio Mod, and the HP Filter FX.  Try using Noise as a mod source and sending it to the VCA for a start.

Here's a YouTube example of some of the above in action. It's a simple drum beat but at 2:04 I stop the sequencer and you hear the noise/static continue due to the VCA being modulated by something...Can't remember what just now but I could track it down. The link below will open a new window cued to the sound in question.

Retro Crunch

Good Luck and Good Fun!

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2019, 05:22:02 PM »
Depends if you want just the crackle or also a repeating pop from a scratch. For no pop:

Oscillators off, noise up
VCA Env Amount down
Random LFO 1 modulating the VCA Env Amount, speed high
Random LFO 2 modulating noise, speed high
Filter cutoff to taste maybe at 1:00

If you want to go deeper you can use one gated sequencer to modulate the LFO speed and another to the amount for more variation.