Headphones Recommendations

jg666

Headphones Recommendations
« on: June 09, 2019, 07:09:26 AM »
For the last couple of years I’ve been using an old pair of Sennheiser hi-fi headphones connected to my Yamaha mixer to listen to all my synths through (when not playing through speakers).

I’m wanting to get some new headphones for my music making but there’s so many to choose from and so many conflicting reviews I thought I ask for opinions on here.

I use the headphones a lot so I don’t disturb anyone else whilst playing so they need to be comfortable as well as good sounding :)
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

jg666

Re: Headphones Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 01:40:12 PM »
I’ve just realised I’ve probably posted this in the wrong section. It might be best in the general synthesis section?
DSI Prophet Rev2, DSI Pro 2, Moog Sub37, Korg Minilogue, Yamaha MOXF6, Yamaha MODX6, Yamaha Montage6

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 06:59:27 PM »
Perhaps this is an unnecessary comment but I’d definitely recommend taking the headphones from an external source. The headphone out quality on the prophet (and most analog synths) isn’t great. A saw wave will rip your ears up

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 03:09:51 AM »
I have a dt 770 pro 80ohms. This seems to be a standard in studios. Robust, comfortable, good sound to my ears and pretty neutral for mixing. Can be repaired part by part. Can only recommend.
But this topic has nothing to see with rev2...

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:32:37 AM »
If you're not worried about isolation (either keeping the headphone sound out of microphones, or keeping ambient noises out of your ears), then you may find open construction headphones (like the DT 990 Pro) more comfortable than sealed ones like the DT 770 Pro.

(Mods: Maybe move this thread?  Seems useful if not Rev2-specific.)

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 10:54:36 AM »
I agree with Troy92Evans that the headphones output on the REV2 is bad. Much like the headphone output on any synth for that matter.

For a couple of years now, I've been using Sony MDR-100AAP. They're lightweight, have a great frequency response, and reasonably isolating. But if I was looking to replace them, I'd probably go with Sony MDR-7506. 
Oberheim OB-X8, Minimoog D (vintage), OB6 (Desktop), Oberheim Matrix-6 (MIDI Controller for OB6), VC340

jg666

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 11:22:02 PM »
Thanks everyone so far for your comments, much appreciated :)

My circumstances are probably a bit different to most because I'm a hobbyist synth-head who just collects and plays synths for the pleasure of doing so and so I don't have any microphones or any other people playing to worry about :) Although I live in a detached house, I do tend to use headphones a lot just in case the sound drifts out and annoys people!

I have no idea how to request this thread to be moved to a more general area. I'm thinking that more people might want to contribute but may not venture into the Rev2 section. I'd certainly be interested in hearing from everyone about their headphones.

maxter

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 03:14:13 PM »
I really like AKG headphones, they generally pack most bang for buck imo, at least around $200 mark. Comfortable and solid. Preferred model depends on what music/material used for, but I particularly like their reference headphones, series K6xx and K7xx. The models are quite similar, just a little different character. Often see them priced around $100-200 in shops.

K702 are my high-end reference headphones with a range of 10-39khz, great for certain tasks and territories, such as ambient music and/or sounds, classical music etc, where there is a lot of detail in the higher registers (and in general). They're razor sharp in the top end. Call them cold, sterile, etc, and I won't disagree. The lack of "warmth", they make up in clarity though. They can get a little tiresome on the ears and brain if used for too long, but for listening through an experimental album or a classical concert, hard to beat.

K601 are my go to headphones. About the same frequency range, but they have a lot more "warmth", more bass and mid, less detailed in the top end (but still very detailed).

Mind that headphones, in general, need to be used for some time to get "broken in", ie to sound as intended.
The Way the Truth and the Life

chysn

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 05:16:42 PM »
Allow me to commit light heresy and log my full-throated and unironic endorsement of the Panasonic RP-HT21.

Seven bucks. Sound great. I buy a new pair every year and a half or so.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 05:18:59 PM by chysn »
Prophet 5 Rev 4 #2711

MPC One+ ∙ MuseScore 4

www.wav2pro3.comwww.soundcloud.com/beige-mazewww.github.com/chysnwww.beigemaze.com

he/him/his

Shaw

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2019, 06:08:14 PM »
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 12:38:39 PM »
AKG fan here as well, you can get 702s for £100 in the UK at the moment, absolute bargain.

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 12:39:11 PM »
Any headphones will sound 100x better using one of these...  https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RNHP--rupert-neve-designs-rnhp-1-ch-precision-headphone-amplifier

Everything sounds better when connected to Neve gear :)

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2019, 05:47:40 PM »
I have a dt 770 pro 80ohms.
One of my favorite hp, too. It has a peak in the high frequencies, but the rest is very balanced!

megamarkd

• One day I will fund a vuvuzela marching band.
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2019, 06:06:21 PM »
Sennheiser HD380 Pro's here. Sound very flat and no discernible (to my ears) peaks or troughs. Maybe a tinsy bit sparkly in the high-end, but compared to the Sony MDR-7506's I A/B'ed them with there was far less in the Sennheisers. I don't think that Sennheiser are making them any more.
Closed-back cans, but I live with other people and often am messing with sound late in the night, so I went with what would create the least amount of spill. Of course I'd rather be using open-back, but that said, I'd rather be using my monitors and not be tethered to my mixer.

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2019, 04:36:16 PM »
I use a pair of Sony MDR 7510 for between 3 and 5 hours daily. The thing I like most about these phones would have to be the driver being angled off axis, which helps to open up the sound and allows for extended listening sessions without fatigue.

They take a little bit of getting used to for bass representation, but I find that to be the case with any transducer device. My main gripe is that the parts are not replaceable like with the 7506. That's something I can live with however and I will definitely buy another pair when these ones eventually break down.

Probably not for everyone, but certainly for me.