PXToolkit 1.0 Available Now

Re: PXToolkit 1.0 Available Now
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2019, 11:33:03 AM »
So I would just create folders and subsidiary folders and put the zip files in those and then bring it all over to the USB stick?

Yes.  The “px” directory must be at the root level of the USB device you’re loading from, with categories a level below that, and the instrument zips inside the categories.  PXToolkit creates the whole structure for you, so just drag it all over and you won’t risk getting one of the names wrong (which will result in content silently being ignored.)

LoboLives

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2019, 11:33:50 AM »
I mean they are all in order and numbered starting from 02. Is that what you mean?

There are multiple levels to consider. /px is the top-level. Then, a subdirectory for each sample group/bank, e.g., u07 (for what the user sees as sample group U8), then the category subdirectory, e.g., 10 Keyboard, then each of the zip files with the appropriate number prefix of the instrument number within that category. Here's an example from part of the Deckard's Dream pack. Hope this helps.

px
└── u07
    ├── 10 Keyboard
    │   ├── 02. DeckardsDream|Voigt-Kampff w.zip
    │   ├── 23. DeckardsDream|Luv on Fire.zip
    │   └── 27. DeckardsDream|SDRC w.zip
    └── 15 Synth
        ├── 13. DeckardsDream|Tyrell Corporation.zip
        └── 35. DeckardsDream|Electric Sheep.zip

So I would just create folders and subsidiary folders and put the zip files in those and then bring it all over to the USB stick?
PXToolkit creates those folders for you (on a Mac, not sure on a PC)

It didn't for me. It just created zip folders for each sample and their respective number.

LoboLives

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2019, 11:34:58 AM »
Let me try this again.

LoboLives

« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2019, 11:40:32 AM »
I exported them again and it actually created a folder this time....same thing...won't recognize the files.

Shaw

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2019, 11:43:24 AM »
I exported them again and it actually created a folder this time....same thing...won't recognize the files.
what does you folder structure look like?
"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2019, 11:49:51 AM »

PXToolkit creates the u07/10 Keyboard/… folders and zip files. So, if you create the px folder at the top-level of the USB stick and copy the folder tree that PXToolkit created, for example, starting at the u07 in the earlier example directory tree, then it should hopefully work.

In the end the directory paths will look like this on the USB stick:
/px/u07/10 Keyboard/…

Hope that makes sense.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:51:32 AM by composerjk »
Jeff Kellem—Typeface designer, Composer, Pianist, Analog synths, Dancer
ASMAC (American Society of Music Arrangers and Composers) Board Member
https://1403.slantedhall.com/ | https://slantedhall.com/ | https://asmac.org/

LoboLives

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2019, 11:50:08 AM »

U00->
15 Synth->
(List of samples in individual zip folders. example. 02.Synclavier_BellGong)

Shaw

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2019, 11:55:49 AM »

U00->
15 Synth->

You just need to put all of that inside a folder called “px” and you’re ready to rock.

"Classical musicians go to the conservatories, rock´n roll musicians go to the garages." --- Frank Zappa
| Linnstrument | Suhr Custom Modern | Mayones Jaba Custom | Godin Multiac Nylon | Roland TD-50 | Synergy Guitar Amps | Eventide Effects Galore |

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2019, 11:57:20 AM »
U00->
15 Synth->

If u00 is at the top-level of the USB stick, then that's the problem. The top-level directory should be px.

If u00 is already at the proper spot, i.e., /px/u00/…, then either try renaming the u00 to use a lowercase u, just in case. (I'm not in the studio the check on my synth.)

Another thing to consider: the .wav files need to be 16-bit linear, 48 kHz WAV files.

LoboLives

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2019, 12:00:28 PM »
Alright I'll try this one more time. Thanks for the help all.

LoboLives

« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2019, 12:10:57 PM »
They seem to have loaded but when I hold the GROUP button down and turn the Type encoder nothing change. It does not give me the option to select user.

Shaw

« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2019, 12:15:36 PM »
They seem to have loaded but when I hold the GROUP button down and turn the Type encoder nothing change. It does not give me the option to select user.
Have you successfully downloaded / installed any other Add-On or User sample pack?

LoboLives

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2019, 12:19:29 PM »
Second time is the charm. It works! Thanks all

LoboLives

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2019, 11:12:36 AM »
This is absolutely incredible. Thank you so much for this. question about velocity though. I set the velocity to always be at it's loudest on my samples when I press a key but while inside the PX if I play softly the sample's volume responds to the velocity I play. Even when I turn of velocity sensitivity in the sample edit section. How can I get it to just play at it's loudest volumes regardless of how soft I press the keys?

« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
It sounds like you may have the velocity switch enabled in the VCA section.  When the button is lit, key velocity is used to scale the volume of the corresponding voice.

LoboLives

« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2019, 01:16:43 PM »
It sounds like you may have the velocity switch enabled in the VCA section.  When the button is lit, key velocity is used to scale the volume of the corresponding voice.

Nope. It’s like this even when I initialize a patch and play a raw sample and I imported. Just on Uswr samples not Factory ones.

« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2019, 02:13:48 PM »
That’s quite surprising.  I’m not aware of any way in which user samples and factory or add-on samples behave differently.  When I’m home this evening I’ll see if I can come up with any other explanation for the behavior you’ve described.

Shaw

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2019, 03:03:41 PM »

Nope. It’s like this even when I initialize a patch and play a raw sample and I imported. Just on Uswr samples not Factory ones.
Did you normalize your samples?

« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2019, 04:29:01 PM »
I set the velocity to always be at it's loudest on my samples when I press a key but while inside the PX if I play softly the sample's volume responds to the velocity I play. Even when I turn of velocity sensitivity in the sample edit section. How can I get it to just play at it's loudest volumes regardless of how soft I press the keys?

Some things to consider:

• VCA envelope Velocity Off (as Lady Gaia already mentioned)
  • VCA envelope sustain level (127 whatever you want)
  • VCA envelope amount (127 or whatever you want)
  • any modulation paths that might be affecting the VCA envelope sustain level

I'm assuming that this set of samples is one layer for the entire velocity range. There might be other things to check.

Sequential also recommends to "normalize the samples to full scale regardless of the velocity level." (as Shaw asked about). The volume level is determined by the VCA, not by the sample level.

Another option is to set InstMisc > InstBoost to +9dB (or some other value).

LoboLives

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2019, 05:21:44 PM »
I noticed a few things:

When the sample Velocity is set to "ON" the velocity response for the sample is actually off meaning it'll play at the same volume regardless of how hard I hit the keys. When it's set to "Layer 1" it does the opposite. Hmm odd.

As far as normalizing the samples no I did not. How do I go about that? It's only on the Synclavier samples that are oddly quiet. The D50 samples are perfectly fine. Fairlight samples are generally good but the ORCH5 Hit is oddly quiet. Wondering if that's just the source material. Boosting up the DB on the samples does help on some but on the Synclavier stuff it generally just introduces unwanted distortion.